Main Menu

PROG 2111 - Welcome to the Thrill-Party!

Started by Leigh S, 08 December, 2018, 11:04:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Enjoyed what I've read so far - the Dredd one was ok though a wee bit derivative of previous Dredds (To Thing With Love, The Haunting of Sector House 9, with a bit of the bad old Ennis days in Dredd's dealing with the perp).

Sláine was enjoyable, which it hasn't been for a while to be frank.  A nice little reminder of earlier short tales (the Shoggey Beast etc) before everything went sprawling and epic.  Not 100 per cent sure about the ending (Baba Yaga is Danu then?) nor Sláine's appearance (played by a fresh-faced 80s Don Johnson) but Weston's art is amazing as always.  The idea of the steam off barbarian dung made me a bit queasy I must say.

Deadworld is great, truly horrible in places. I've only skimmed it and everything else though, I'll get back to it.

Also, and I know I'm being a big nerdy child, I don't really like when articles in the prog treat Tharg as anything other than a real life alien editor. It's a bit of a laugh we've been having for 40-odd years and I love keeping it going.  Even when there's photos of creators in the prog I preferred when the caption pointed out that they were 'in human form for the convention'.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Bolt-01

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 13 December, 2018, 03:12:39 PM
I don't really like when articles in the prog treat Tharg as anything other than a real life alien editor. It's a bit of a laugh we've been having for 40-odd years and I love keeping it going.  Even when there's photos of creators in the prog I preferred when the caption pointed out that they were 'in human form for the convention'.

Hear, Hear. I know it's not to everyone's taste, but I love the conceit of Tharg.

Same as for me, the guy (or lady) handing out the bounties on the Doghouse should always be referred to as 'Harvey', regardless of their actual name.

Richard

Harvey was killed by the Stixes, so I'm not sure it's quite the same.

Frank

I never want to see Chris Weston's art sullied by superfluous colour again.

What's the point?  This is the best strip art he's ever created for Tharg.

Colin Zeal

I really enjoyed the interview with Richard Burton. When I heard him talk on a panel at the 40th birthday party his time as 2000AD editor seemed to have been just one job he'd had amongst many others (which was surprisingly refreshing to hear) so I'm pleased he was given the opportunity to go into detail about his spell on the galaxies greatest comic.

Andy B

Quote from: Tomwe on 12 December, 2018, 11:12:16 AM
Also: this may have been asked somewhere before, but is this the first time a thrill has continued both before and after the bumper Christmas edition? (Brink)

I seem to remember "Origins" did that, but definitely unusual. I appreciate that they're letting Dan Abnett take his time with "Brink". Great stuff.

Also very much appreciate the ending to Caballistics. A real treat: and a physical collection too - nice!

Leonardo Manco on Slaine looks awesome. I'm excited for next year!

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Andy B on 14 December, 2018, 03:02:22 AM

Me too! Sometimes I think Slaine should have retired years ago, but then I look at the great art it produces and it's enough to keep me interested.

By the way I always love a Christmas Droid Life, and this one was great fun, with the appropriate amount of mercilessly cruel humour and short bursts of colour.  I would be very sad if the Christmas progs stopped doing extra-length Droid Lifes (Lives?).

To return to Deadworld, I really love that Fear is actually scary again.  Not since Mortis stalking the cadets in Necropolis have the Dark Judges been so terrifying.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 14 December, 2018, 11:05:12 PM
Quote from: Andy B on 14 December, 2018, 03:02:22 AM

Me too! Sometimes I think Slaine should have retired years ago, but then I look at the great art it produces and it's enough to keep me interested.

By the way I always love a Christmas Droid Life, and this one was great fun, with the appropriate amount of mercilessly cruel humour and short bursts of colour.  I would be very sad if the Christmas progs stopped doing extra-length Droid Lifes (Lives?).

To return to Deadworld, I really love that Fear is actually scary again.  Not since Mortis stalking the cadets in Necropolis has a Dark Judge been so terrifying.

JayzusB.Christ

JayzusB.Christ

JayzusB.Christ

JayzusB.Christ

Dandontdare

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 14 December, 2018, 11:05:12 PM
Sometimes I think Slaine should have retired years ago, but then I look at the great art it produces and it's enough to keep me interested.

Don't worry, it bears repeating. Slaine has bored me for a long time but by goodness it's given us some jaw dropping art from the Langley and Davies droids - for the first time in ages we get a fun story to go with the beautiful art - and Weston delivers that in spades.

Nice story for Dredd, but I'm also not a huge fan of Boo Cooke's style, though I like this much more than Blunt which I find almost indecipherable

I suppose the Cabalistics episode gives us some sort of closure but it doesn't really add anything much - I thought we were getting a final series rather than a final episode, so bit disappointed.

I like the way that Fiends is showing our Romanian protagonists through different European wars, and the clever addition of Black Max justified the extended page count (just)

Good God, is Skip Trace back already? I've tried to be kind, but this could have been written by the Thrillomatic Random Plot Generator 3000 - multiple scifi tropes combined together in a way we've never seen before. Feels like a writer sitting down and thinking "I have to write a scifi story" rather than a writer who had a story they wanted to tell.

Not read Durham Red yet, I'm trying to eke it out a bit!

and I agree that a double size Droid Life is a wonderful thing - I love this strip.

Magnetica

Only read Slaine and Brink so far.

I never would have thought Chris Weston would be good fit for Slaine but this really works. It reminds me of Fabry's Book of Scars episode. Only thing is Slaine looks about 25, which is very odd, especially as Simon Davis's rendition made him look like a tired old man.

Not sure how often I can say Brink is awesome, but it is.

Tjm86

Quote from: Magnetica on 16 December, 2018, 01:00:40 PM
Only thing is Slaine looks about 25, which is very odd, especially as Simon Davis's rendition made him look like a tired old man.

Willing to be called out for being wrong but I thought that this was a 'prequel' tale of sorts, back when Slaine and Ukko were just starting out ...