Main Menu

Recent posts

Books & Comics / Re: Completely Self-absorbed T...
Last post by IndigoPrime - Today at 05:16:14 PM
Quote from: Doomlord66 on Today at 01:03:55 PMand thanks to Indigoprime mentioning the titles of other work by Brubaker & Phillips, I've now added The Fade Out, Pulp & Fatale.
My apologies to your wallet.

QuoteAnyway if anyone else has recommendations for comics or graphic novels like KOBK or ones that have a different take on the superhero story I'd be interested
Black Hammer is perhaps an obvious one, and pretty great. Ordinary, if you've not read it in the Meg, flips superheroes on its head quite nicely, and is currently two quid if Forbidden Planet for the hardcover. Eight Billion Genies flirts with similar territory. Not really superheroes per se, but plenty of crossover, given how things go. I imagine you've already read Umbrella Academy?

Quote from: Colin YNWA on Today at 01:41:08 PMI got Usagi Yojimbo Saga Volume 5 this month as I'm trying to make sure I get all of them before the start to disappear (same for Giant Days Library Editions).
My understanding is the Saga books are evergreen, although you never know with Dark Horse and the reprints can be sporadic. Always hard to know what Fantagraphics is doing. I think I pre-ordered the new set the second it showed up, having annoyingly missed two second-hand copies on eBay by seconds.

Quote from: Colin YNWA on Today at 01:44:18 PMMs Marvel is another one I must get around to trying at some point.
It's a fun read. Probably don't expect it to blow your mind or anything. It very much is what it is. Kind of like if someone was trying to do a modern-day Spider-Man, but instead of a young man getting bitten by a spider (and, frankly, whining about how difficult his life is while juggling multiple supermodels), the protagonist is a Muslim girl trying to find her way in a multicultural society. And even her powers are really cleverly designed, in being analogous to the awkwardness of teenage existence. (I think it all goes a bit pear-shaped around the time of Champions, when she becomes just another 'Avenger'. And that strip in particular was a big right on, in an on-the-nose fashion. But the original run gets the balance right in a very appealing manner.)

Quote from: Tjm86 on Today at 03:13:02 PMI do think this is the biggest problem with Batman.  There is just so much stuff out there it is hard to find anything consistent.
I managed to get about half of the Eaglemoss set for an embarrassingly low price, from someone locally who just wanted shot of them. I carefully put them all in order and... I dunno. Maybe I'm just not familiar enough with it, but I often found I just didn't care. I also didn't click t all with certain writers who on the strip had been heralded as a second coming. Morrison's run was... OK. I read it. It was fine. But I liked Paul Dini's stuff a whole lot more. Some of those books, along with Black Mirror, and a few random others (City of Owls; Doom That Came to Gotham) remain in my 'keep for now' pile.

Quote from: Proudhuff on Today at 03:26:34 PMI only got into the whole Ed Brubaker Sean Phillips relatively recently, but am now totally addicted and trying not to binge.
I'm sure something will suck eventually, but that pairing is currently one of precisely two things I buy blind and know I'm going to like. (The other being Usagi Yojimbo.) Long may that continue. And I do like the dinky little HC format. It's nice to have a book you can read in a single sitting, which has a start, middle and end, and where the story is engaging but also so smartly told that you're never left puzzled about what happened.
General / Re: New Romance* comic from Re...
Last post by IndigoPrime - Today at 05:00:19 PM
I think it's fantastic Rebellion continues to constantly explore new territory for the IP it owns, and creating new work based on it, rather than just churning out reprint. And I think it's exciting that the company is now exploring crowdfunding, which isn't always great but can sometimes be an excellent way of creating new work and funding relatively niche collections. (And by niche, I mean stuff that won't sell insane amounts – Boom is largely in the same space.)
Off Topic / Re: RIPs
Last post by nxylas - Today at 04:51:55 PM
Last post by Le Fink - Today at 04:49:31 PM
Quote from: Doomlord66 on Today at 01:03:55 PMAnyway if anyone else has recommendations for comics or graphic novels like KOBK or ones that have a different take on the superhero story I'd be interested although I think I have most of them at the moment. Maybe I should start a new thread?
Have you tried Planetary by Warren Ellis? Injection also good, if unfinished, last time I checked.
Last post by GordonR - Today at 04:22:08 PM
Ditto.

"This isn't for me, so I don't know why Rebellion are doing it" is an especially great touch. 
Games / Re: Judge Dredd Miniatures Gam...
Last post by The Bissler - Today at 04:17:45 PM
Quote from: Trooper McFad on Today at 01:53:21 PMAnother great and enjoyable play through- keep up the good work 👍🏻

Cheers Trooper! More is always on the way!
Last post by M.I.K. - Today at 03:50:16 PM
Yep. That's pretty much what I was getting.

Last post by Proudhuff - Today at 03:26:34 PM
I only got into the whole Ed Brubaker Sean Phillips relatively recently, but am now totally addicted and trying not to binge. The cost of backfilling their work helps!
I got KOBK as it came out and now get their stuff now when it comes out as they seem to fly out the door initially then cost a packet thereafter.
I was never a tights and gusset, sorry Superhero fan and DC and especially Marvel held no interest for me, but like some up thread, My tastes have changed(mellowed?)and Brubaker/Phillips tick every box, I keep looking for some of their stuff to dislike: but so far no luck!!

Nice review by the way YNWA!! ;)
Last post by Funt Solo - Today at 03:21:21 PM
Quote from: BPP on Today at 06:44:16 AMHi Funt, it's absolutely nothing to do with comicsgate. Whilst I do think identity politics is the enemy of class struggle I don't think I have to be inappropriately politically labelled just because I look at a list of creators and think 'Christ, nothing for me there'.

I have to take you at your word - it's only fair. It's odd, though - because when people aren't abundantly clear about what they mean, then I use inference. So, my in-head translation of what you said, I'll add below.

Quote from: BPP translated in Funt's headWomen can't draw, and they hounded Ed Piskor to his doom.

I honestly don't understand why Rebellion hire women. Women's work has never connected with Rebellion's existing base (of men) and women don't belong in the UK scene.
General / Re: Crowdfunders you might lik...
Last post by nxylas - Today at 03:15:11 PM