Main Menu

The Al Ewing USA loan thread

Started by dossa1uk, 12 May, 2019, 04:34:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dossa1uk

We're all in the same boat then?  I shall go on a hunting expedition, I think. Oh, and read his Hulk stuff. It's really *really* good - whatever you think it might be about going in, trust me, it isn't. I think it might be his Swamp Thing.

Greg M.

I've read a fair bit of Ewing's Marvel work, but, apart from Hulk, each series has seemed to blend into the next - he likes to re-use the same characters and pursue some similar ideas, so the Mighty / New / US Avengers / Ultimates stuff reads like one extended story. Great if you enjoyed it to start with, of course, and definitely with its high points - Bobby Da Costa in charge of a retooled A.I.M works well - but the individual books seem to lack a unique identity beyond their shared identity as "the current Al Ewing comic". Hulk is different - it's very much its own thing, and easily his best work for the company. Ewing's roots as an ex-2000AD writer are plain - he's throwing out idea after idea, issue after issue, and even if I'm not entirely sold on the underpinning 'Devil Hulk' premise, there's enough good (and deeply macabre) stuff along the way to make it worthwhile. The current idea ([spoiler]Joe Fixit in Banner's body[/spoiler]) is an inspired reversal.

Fungus

Had forgotten about Al's Ultimates! That was a great-looking series with some out-there Christian Ward-ish art. Then CW turned up too (I think).

Anyway, that Al MC book needs plucked from the Big Hachette Pile and this Hulk series seems a no-brainer once collected.

Fungus

Huh. 3 trades out of Al's Hulk si far. Suppose people have been rhapsodising about it for a while...

dossa1uk

Quote from: Greg M. on 13 May, 2019, 08:23:45 PM
I've read a fair bit of Ewing's Marvel work, but, apart from Hulk, each series has seemed to blend into the next - he likes to re-use the same characters and pursue some similar ideas, so the Mighty / New / US Avengers / Ultimates stuff reads like one extended story.

I think that's been my perception from the outside looking in, which probably led to my question in the first place, without me knowing.  Maybe he gets a chance now, as I gather Hulk is going gangbusters, to have more opportunity to work on more contained stories?