Main Menu

Apocalypse War vs. Necropolis - Dredd Epics Ranked - Better! FINALLLLL!!!!!!

Started by Colin YNWA, 20 April, 2021, 06:24:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Well come on it was always going to be this wasn't it? Well as soon as we knew that the factor of being an Epic (or Dredd story for that matter) was going to play into America's position. Even me and I'm rubbish at predicting this stuff sometimes!

Its the final everyone wanted and dreaded (pun... whatever) it's going to be a tough call for many. Others will already have a firm favourite in mind and likely had it from the start. Some will even vote for City of the Damned regardless and I'll still whine about the Cursed Earth. But when all said and done none of that will matter and come Friday we will know which epic IS the best. No debates, no back chat... well some back chat I'm sure... The ticker tape cannons are lined up and ready, discussions of a European Epics League has started... but for which will win, nukes or the undead?

Seed 4 Apocalypse War (inc Block Mania) Progs 236-270

Vs

Seed 9 Necropolis - Progs 662 - 699

Still with the simple purity of popping the name of the Epic you prefer in a reply to this thread (remember to mark it clearly so I can spot it - bold tags are good) and then say whatever the heck you like to about these two great stories.

We're 3 day votes for this one, so this one will close first thing in the morning Friday 23rd April

All links go through to AlexF's simply brilliant Dredd Epics Ranked blog. You may need to scroll to find his write up of a particular story - but I'd suggest just reading the whole thing anyway - it's fantastic stuff.

Baffled by what's going on here - well we have a a thread for that - though that might leave you more confused than anything.

Rules for what they are worth.

Not sure about anything just ask and I'll blag it.

Rogue Judge

These are my top two favorites, and both from the Best Artist winner Carlos Ezquerra. One in B&W (originally) the other in colour, yet both have Carlos at the top of his game. Both are fantastic, but I have to go with Apocalypse War. The epic to beat all epics, and I think only the Sovs will disagree.

Apocalypse War

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

abelardsnazz

Well here we are. Many thanks to Colin for running this thing, it's been a lot of fun and has prompted many fascinating comments and placings. So which Carlos epic is it to be? For so many memorable, quotable, influential, shocking and iconic moments, it has to be The Apocalypse War.

DrJomster

Carlos vs Carlos? A fitting tribute to the king!

Easy win for Apocalypse War for me. Iconic.

Ps. Many thanks to Colin for running this ongoing poll, it's been great!
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Oh, The Apocalypse War.

Thanks for running this, Colin- as usual so much has come up that I have found myself immediately wanting to reread. The main one being The Judge Child- which I have decided to read *in the original progs* for added thrillchills.

SBT

Magnetica

The Enigmatic Dr X

Necropolis.

It had the better build up, it had an epilogue.

It had the Dark Judges.
Lock up your spoons!

broodblik

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 20 April, 2021, 08:31:13 AM
Necropolis.

It had the better build up, it had an epilogue.

It had the Dark Judges.

But Apocalypse War also had Dark Judges called Ruskies
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Barrington Boots

I think there's no doubt over the winner here, but Necropolis is my favourite.

Read it in my teens and it blew me away and cemented my love for Dredd. The build up is fantastic: all the Kraken stuff, that's kids letter to Dredd and his growing doubts, the Dead Man (which is very much part of Necropolis imo) and then we get McGruder's return, the sisters, scary Mortis, the terrible bleakness of defeat as the tale unwinds and then Dredd's beautifully cold execution of Kraken at the end.

I must have read The Apocalypse War a dozen times and it is a more iconic, but it sticks in my mind as one long war story whilst me Necropolis resonates far more strongly with individual plot beats and it's darker tone. It's clever, it's horrific, it's exciting and it gets my vote.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

AlexF

The Dead Man > Apocalypse War > Necropolis,
so hoisted on the (il)logic of my own petard, I'm voting for The Apcolaypse War.

Also, I don't know what a petard is.

broodblik

I agree that Dead Man is part of Necropolis but never forget that Apocalypse War also had a build-up and Block Mania was a great prequel to the epic.

milstar

Hm... Tough call. Let's go with Apocalypse War.
But both are damn good for their own reasons. And somehow I find the idea more fun in AW, although Russians would disagree.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Lorenzo

This is all a bit sad isn't it? We all love Judge Dredd, we're all still reading every week and yet our favourite epic - the best there's ever been - is from 1982!!!

Nostalgia. Ain't it grand :- APOCALYPSE WAR

sintec

Tough call on this one... a really tough call.  Think I'm going to have to go for Necropolis

Quote from: AlexF on 20 April, 2021, 09:07:57 AM
Also, I don't know what a petard is.

A small bomb used for blowing up fortifications.