Main Menu

Simon Fraser or Carl Critchlow - Artists Ryder Cup Current vs Classic - Tie 22

Started by Colin YNWA, 01 June, 2021, 06:39:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maryanddavid

Fraser 4, Critchlow 1,  and I really like Critchlow. These are hard, I have abstained form most of them because I couldn't choose!

GoGilesGo

Colin YNWA

Last day - last chance VOTE or... or... well... don't.... but either way I'm counting up in the morning.

So what do we have here. Both these artists are favs of mine. I'm lucky enough to have original art by both in my collection and really love the work of them both. So this one is down to fine lines. For me though the winner does two things better than almost any modern artist. Firstly his character work and secondly his sweeping cityscapes - and I'm a sucker for cityscapes. Hos recent work on Hershey with its dynamic layout to a punchy strip adds to his work on my favourite 2000ad strip of all time to mean for me its

Simon Fraser 3 : Carl Critchlow 2

That Carl Critchlow gets 2 points off one of my all time favs shows how much Tharg needs to get hom back in the Prog - come on Tharg don't make me all caps that!

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

3-2 to carl.

beguiled by both, but the clincher - as ever - is *that* prog.

Sean SD

DrJomster

The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

I, Cosh

Only knowing Critchlow from Thrud, I was surprised to see him pop up on Lobster Random when I came back to the Prog. Not in a good way. I really didn't like his work at the time: too many lines everywhere for my tastes. Not sure what happened but somewhere along the way that changed and I really liked his Dredd work: Out of the Undercity and the stuff he was doing around Tour of Duty in particular. He seemed to be in regular rotation for a while and then just disappear. Anyone know what he's up to now? I'd love to see him back on a Dredd story.

Simon Fraser, on the other hand, is inseparable from Nikolai Dante and my unconventional love for both knows no bounds. One thing I find quite interesting is that Fraser isn't afraid to let characters' faces bend and distort away from their normal shape as a way of conveying emotion. It's a cartoonish effect that I really like but sometimes seem odd alongside the astonishing architecture and backdrops.

With The Strip That Dare Not Speak Its Name, it was a bittersweet thing to see his work back in the Prog. Recognisably the same but maturing with age. The use of spot colours and an exceptional command of panel structure and layouts are delightful.

A result that reflects the strength of the winner rather than the weakness of the loser.

Fraser 4 - 1 Critchlow
We never really die.

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

This one was relatively straightforward no tooing and froing. Simon Fraser steadily and surely built a lead and extended it as the vote went on. That is not to say there wasn't a lot of love fopr Carl Critchlow, just that he could stop the flood for Simon.

Overall though these are worrying times for Classic Team, not only have they been hauled back from a commanding lead, but after briefly stablising the position Current Team have kept their momentum and started to stretch into a decent lead. Its not to late at all for Classic Team but they need to start turning this back around soon.

Current Team 12.5 : Classic Team 9.5

Current Team 1007 : Classic Team 1032*

*I  will check these over the weekend as I'm just not sure I've added things up right???