Main Menu

Judge Dredd custom Lego minifig

Started by DrV, 21 March, 2011, 11:43:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrJomster

That is brilliant! You've even done Rorschach! Thanks for sharing and welcome to the boards.
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

DrV

Hi all, thanks very much for the positive feedback, it's greatly appreciated and glad to be part of the forums.

Also appreciate the feedback on some of my other stuff.  Believe it or not, this would only be about 10% of all my custom minifigs, I've just never had the time to go back and photo some of my older work.

You've certainly motived me to want to do my next customs, which should be Judge Anderson, Judge Death and a Lawmaster for Dredd to get around on, (there is already a Lego piece that is perfect for start as the base for the Lawmaster)

Cheers
DrV

Mikey

To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

James Stacey

From my pov, and getting over the foul heathen method of cutting LEGO :)

Helmet looks good and works well. As does the lawgiver I'd have built the eagle and shoulder pad onto a yellow epaulette. Personal preference (and good though yours looks) I'd have done all the rest of the detailing as decals to conform with the standard LEGO aesthetic. But then I'm a builder not a modder so I'm probably approaching it from a different angle.

TordelBack

DrV

Quote from: James Stacey on 22 March, 2011, 12:00:08 PM
From my pov, and getting over the foul heathen method of cutting LEGO :)

Helmet looks good and works well. As does the lawgiver I'd have built the eagle and shoulder pad onto a yellow epaulette. Personal preference (and good though yours looks) I'd have done all the rest of the detailing as decals to conform with the standard LEGO aesthetic. But then I'm a builder not a modder so I'm probably approaching it from a different angle.

Ah but technically, I didn't cut a single piece of Lego for this, as the helmet, (which did get a couple of small cuts for the face cut out) was actually a different custom piece from a custom manufacturer, LOL!!!

But I know what you are saying, and there is always that debate on a lot of the lego blogs I visit, and there's a lot of snobbery between the purists and non-purists, (PLEASE dont read this the wrong way, not accusing you of that at all, I'm refer to quite a specific Lego blog that I'll refrain from naming), and it's not helped by some of the poor work out there by some modders.  I'm of the camp that I appreciate both, I love the Lego models that people make, and wish I had the technical skill that some of them have, but I also appreciate the fine skioll of some of teh custom minifig modders out there, you should see some of the sculpting and painting skills of these guys!

For me it's purely a hobby and I only create minifigs based on charcters or people I'm interested in, maybe my hobby is considered more modeling than Lego by some, and that's cool.

I'm keen to see your more purist version though, as I said, I'm a fan of either school of Lego.

I tossed up about water slide decals for all the details, I really did, but in the end, because with Dredd and the whole Mega City 1 feel of everything being so 'chunky-bulky-big', I felt I needed to give him more of a 3D feel.

And I know what you meant about the eagle and Shoulder pad, I looked at ref pics, my 6 1/2" Dredd figure, etc and was really tempted to go Yellow, then I thought, maybe gold for the Eagle and yellow for the should pad, but that wouldn't work either.  It's good feedback, I may yet change that.

So appreciate the thoughts from a fellow Lego/Dredd fan  :)

DrV

Quote from: Mikey on 22 March, 2011, 11:53:51 AM
Nice!

How about Eva Procopio?

M.

I cant find a decent full body refernce pic, or I'd add it to my 'to-do' list

James Stacey

I'm not above decals or custom parts (i.e. http://www.minifig.co.uk/picture.asp?id=4&pID=453)

I've not built anything with LEGO for about 5 years to be honest but I might give a couple of customs a go :) I have to find somewhere too put all the damn stuff in the new house anyway.

DrV

Quote from: James Stacey on 22 March, 2011, 01:23:46 PM
I'm not above decals or custom parts (i.e. http://www.minifig.co.uk/picture.asp?id=4&pID=453)

I've not built anything with LEGO for about 5 years to be honest but I might give a couple of customs a go :) I have to find somewhere too put all the damn stuff in the new house anyway.

Ah yes, that's the Little Armory knight armor, right? I have a black version of that, it's really great, not sure if they are still around though.

*Sorry everyone else, we've gone off topic a bit, but I recall that Dredd featured in an 'Elsewhere' universe as 'Sir Dredd', so can possibly be linked to this digresion at a (very long) stretch  ;)

Large48

So how do we buy these then?????????

:D
[size=40]Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill[/size]

Kerrin

DrV, you should check out the awesome CGI Dredd Lego that Mike Carroll of this parish did a few years back. I've had his Lego-City One image as my desktop for a couple of years now, haven't found anything to beat it yet.

Scroll down a bit on the page linked here...

http://www.2000adonline.com/forum/index.php/topic,19323.150.html

...There are three different images on that page by the way so don't stop at the first one. Lego Mean Angel is pure class!

ruud316

:)

Dude that made my day, it's great. When I used to play with Lego, I used to make Law Masters, City Blocks, etc.

You should see if some one wants to make a range (Jude Death, Orlock, Etc)

I would buy them for my kids.

Truely nice work.

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

jock

if memory serves - these were actually made by lego... part of an exhibition Rufus Dayglo put together i think.  (maybe Wake will remember more?) but for one reason or another nothing more came from it

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12647249@N05/3489034774/

TordelBack

Quote from: jock on 23 March, 2011, 02:15:01 PM
if memory serves - these were actually made by lego... part of an exhibition Rufus Dayglo put together i think.  (maybe Wake will remember more?) but for one reason or another nothing more came from it

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12647249@N05/3489034774/

So that's where the designs for the new movie Pat Wagons and Bikes come from!