Main Menu

Bring back Ian Gibson on Dredd!

Started by Jacqusie, 27 January, 2015, 11:51:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacqusie

What it says on the tin. I love his work and Dredd was always a great read with Q.Twerk on duties...

... it's been far too long guys!

Si

Zenith 666

Spaceghost

He buggered off in a strop and declared himself finished with comics after becoming disillusioned with having to draw the less-than-brilliant Samantha Slade Robo Hunter stories a few years back.

I agree, it would be great to see him in the prog again, but we're not party to all the behind the scenes stuff which may or may not have occured.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Jim_Campbell

To be fair, the money in comics is terrible when compared to just about any other form of commercial illustration — there's a reason why Ron Smith couldn't be lured back to the Prog when David Bishop made some conciliatory approaches to classic creators who felt a little hard done-by under the previous editorial regime.

I remember happening across Ian's illustrations on a Cluedo-themed pub quiz machine — there were some splash screens that were more identifiably him than the headshots in the screen below, which was all I could find by way of example...

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

IronGraham

Didn't he do the Peel and Steed comic a few years back? (a.k.a. the British avengers)
We're werewolves not swearwolves

Colin YNWA

The stuff by him that came out recently was reprints of stuff that came out in the early 90s.

GordonR

I suspect the furore about that topless Halo Jones print -  you know, the one that was going to be available at a con, and then suddenly wasn't - won't have improved the situation any.

ZenArcade

Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

James Stacey

He did an IDW Dredd cover recently. Id love to see Ian back in the prog.

Jacqusie

He's also apparently written Halo Jones books 4 & 5 but not managed to get it off the ground for one large reason.

I'm not surprised he was less than impressed with the Samantha Slade bobbins - can you blame him?

sheridan

Quote from: GordonR on 28 January, 2015, 12:34:51 PM
I suspect the furore about that topless Halo Jones print -  you know, the one that was going to be available at a con, and then suddenly wasn't - won't have improved the situation any.

For 'topless Halo Jones' read 'topless woman who was drawn by the person who co-created Halo Jones so looks very vaguely like her'. Censored, but still not entirely safe for work picture here: http://cdn.bleedingcool.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/halo-jones-2.jpg

Anyway, back to Dredd - would love to see new Gibson stories in the prog - when I got into 2000AD the annuals were running his full-colour stories (painted, not like the US version of 'colour comics' back then).  Something with lots of Gibson-trademark buildings, robots and gangs would hit the spot :-)

Richmond Clements

QuoteFor 'topless Halo Jones' read 'topless woman who was drawn by the person who co-created Halo Jones so looks very vaguely like her'.

No. He was selling it as Halo - it was ony after the fact he said it wasn't her at all, we were all mistaken in thinking it was, even though he had said it was.

QuoteThe limited edition run of 50 prints had been offered for sale on the Expo website, with proceeds from the sale going to charity. It was described as "a special, very limited run of Halo in all her 'glory'!", aimed at "the discerning adult".

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/mar/21/halo-jones-topless-row-ian-gibson

Magnetica

Yes I would love to see Ian Gibson back on Dredd. He is an absolute legend.

The Enigmatic Dr X

So, has he disavowed all 2000ad or just Dredd?
Lock up your spoons!

Steve Green

I don't think Dredd was ever the problem was it?

Grant Goggans covers the Samantha Slade era from 10 years ago.

http://thrillpoweredthursday.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/177-samantha-slade-short-goodbye.html

The topless Halo thing happened in 2013 after this was written.