Main Menu

Links to film reviews and reaction posts

Started by a chosen rider, 12 July, 2012, 11:37:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmallBlueThing

Old kermit really is pushing his hilarious 'DreDDD' observational gag, isnt he? He's such a card- and so biting and insighful too, i dont know how he lives with himself.

SBT

Steve Green

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 07 September, 2012, 07:38:15 AM
Hang on- im the very last person in the world to defend Tookey. He is a massive, mental arsehole of the first order. But, in all honesty, that review sounds about right: surely the movie IS missing the satirical comedy of the original comics? Garland has said exactly that right here. And that is Tookey's point- it's violent, celebrates Dredd's character without satirising what he does, and isnt particularly well-developed. Im sure when i eventually get to see this next year, i'll agree.

For Tookey, that review is very sane. He doesnt claim it'll bring about the fall of civilisation or that it has magical satanic mind-bending powers. And he cleverely netes any chance of getting ironically quoted on the poster, by describing it as making The Wild Bunch look like something no one has heard of. He's learning.

SBT

I'd say it does have bleak moments of comedy.

It's not as broad as 30 years ago, but neither is Dredd in the comic and I thought the Brevik line was witless pandering

google "daily mail immigration headlines" - and I'd say he should look a little closer to home.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Steve Green on 07 September, 2012, 09:03:35 AM
Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 07 September, 2012, 07:38:15 AM
Hang on- im the very last person in the world to defend Tookey. He is a massive, mental arsehole of the first order. But, in all honesty, that review sounds about right: surely the movie IS missing the satirical comedy of the original comics? Garland has said exactly that right here. And that is Tookey's point- it's violent, celebrates Dredd's character without satirising what he does, and isnt particularly well-developed. Im sure when i eventually get to see this next year, i'll agree.

For Tookey, that review is very sane. He doesnt claim it'll bring about the fall of civilisation or that it has magical satanic mind-bending powers. And he cleverely netes any chance of getting ironically quoted on the poster, by describing it as making The Wild Bunch look like something no one has heard of. He's learning.

SBT

I'd say it does have bleak moments of comedy.

It's not as broad as 30 years ago, but neither is Dredd in the comic and I thought the Brevik line was witless pandering

google "daily mail immigration headlines" - and I'd say he should look a little closer to home.
Agreed. There are touches f satire in there. It's not as if every single Dredd story in the comic is The Thick of It anyway. We get more than our fair share of straight action tales.
I left a comment on the Fail - be interesting to see if they post it.

Goaty

Good point from Joss;

Joss Whedon comments on negative Avengers reviews
The Avengers hasn't come in for much negative press since its release back in May. Indeed, having gone over pretty well with critics across the board, and marched its way to becoming the third highest-grossing film of all time, it's been a pretty smooth ride for Joss Whedon's superhero smash.

However, there will always be dissenters, Earlier in the year, Sam Jackson lost his rag with a New York Times reviewer who he felt was overly critical of the film, taking to Twitter to suggest the critic find himself a new job.

Whedon himself takes a more philosophical view of the naysayers, although he does feel that some of the less favourable reviews were written as an attack on the genre as a whole, rather than of his specific entry to it.

"I went into a bubble when the film came out," says Whedon, "but I do know that Sam Jackson got pretty huffy. I don't think a flame war is going to help anybody. People are allowed to not like the film."

"But I do get annoyed when somebody really hasn't done their homework. A lot of reporting in the negative reviews... was more like they were reviewing the [superhero] genre than the movie itself.

With $1.5 billion in the bank and counting, we'd suggest those reviews aren't really too much to worry about. Marvel's bean-counters certainly won't be losing any sleep over them...

It was in Total Film.

Goaty

Quote from: CraveNoir on 07 September, 2012, 09:59:00 AM
Evening Standard
http://www.standard.co.uk/goingout/cinema/dredd--review-8113654.html

I like this reviewer!

These guys think they've got a mega franchise on their hands.  They're absolutely right.

Spaceghost

Ha Ha! Tookey really is an idiot isn't he. I'm glad he hates it, he's a joke and the Daily Mail is a laughing stock to all intelligent people.

All the other reviews I've read have been overwhelmingly positive and most of them have advocated a sequel.

Bring it on! I want Chopper, the Angel Gang and Satanus!
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Dirty Sanchez

The Daily Mail called Dredd a "brutal sci-fi killfest" but only gave it 2 out of 5? No wonder our nation's grannies are so confused.

Zanti Misfit

Michaelvk

Is it me or has Tookey's review sort of been copied and pasted to one or two minor local rags? The one other negative review seemed to be identical..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

radiator

You've got to give it to Chris Tookey, he's got a gift for wordplay. Let me break it down, because some of you no doubt missed the subtlety at work here:

He described the film as 'Judge DREADful', and this is in fact a pun on 'JUDGE DREDD', the main character of the film!

It's biting, original and witty commentary like that that makes him the number one film critic for the finest newspaper in the world.

Michaelvk

Quote from: radiator on 07 September, 2012, 10:34:33 AM
You've got to give it to Chris Tookey, he's got a gift for wordplay. Let me break it down, because some of you no doubt missed the subtlety at work here:

He described the film as 'Judge DREADful', and this is in fact a pun on 'JUDGE DREDD', the main character of the film!

It's biting, original and witty commentary like that that makes him the number one film critic for the finest newspaper in the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xiS3-SS-zM
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

Dirty Sanchez

In Tookey's defence, he does his job, which is to recommend movies that his paper's readership might enjoy seeing, and to steer them away from movies they probably won't like. Current editorial and advertising standards dictate that these movies be relatively recent, otherwise he could review Casablanca and Birth of a Nation every day and everyone would be happy.

Michaelvk

Quote from: Dirty Sanchez on 07 September, 2012, 10:53:41 AM
In Tookey's defence, he does his job, which is to recommend movies that his paper's readership might enjoy seeing, and to steer them away from movies they probably won't like. Current editorial and advertising standards dictate that these movies be relatively recent, otherwise he could review Casablanca and Birth of a Nation every day and everyone would be happy.

..you forgot Triumph of the will..

chuffsteruk

Ironic that the Nazis at The Mail don't like the ultra-facist copper in Dredd eh? :lol: