Main Menu

Which 2000AD stories you would like back again?

Started by Goaty, 04 August, 2012, 02:31:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Quote from: Trout on 04 August, 2012, 05:16:32 PM
I suspect the character ran its course when he caught the one-armed man - er, I mean the Traitor General

Arf! The series drifted too far away from its roots for far too long in the late Eighties/Nineties, when War Machine had already shown it was perfectly possible to do something interesting with the character. I don't really blame Geller, Fleischer, White, Millar or Tomlinson for the Friday/Rogue/Cyan/bio-chips melange; editorial should have picked a direction and followed it.

The stories that did follow Gibbons & Simpson's run ditched the 'Nam/Iraq feel and the genetic predestination angle, while sustaining the only bum note of Dave Gibbons's riff on the story- ditching the supporting cast. If editorial had let a writer like Garth Ennis- who loves war fiction as much he loves the original series- build on the tone established by Gibbons, while reintroducing the 'chips (preferably with Simpson on art), a number of things might have turned out very differently.

strontium_dog_90

Ennis on Rogue Trooper - not thought of that before, but that could have been pretty cool!

Going back on topic, though . . .anyone else like to see some more of Finn?

Trout

The Adventurer

Harry Kipling, Lobster Random, SAMANTHA SLADE ROBO-HUNTER

EDIT: Oh, and Caballistics INC. Absolam is great and all, but we've been waiting on a proper Cabs conclusion for far too long.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Frank

Quote from: strontium_dog_90 on 04 August, 2012, 06:12:30 PM
anyone else like to see some more of Finn?

Finn pretty much ran its course, but I'd be interested in seeing Pat Mills revisit the world and characters of Third World War without the hectoring tone of the original series or the Wiccan superheroics and hot lesbians of Finn.

Lots of what that strip had to say about the future of work and the relationship between business and government is still relevant, and it could provide an opportunity to imagine what forms resistance to a different, more subtle and pervasive kind of tyranny than either Savage or V for Vendetta portrayed might take.

Mardroid

Quote from: Mardroid on 04 August, 2012, 02:55:27 PM
Although I haven't really missed it now it's gone, I remember really liking Dead Set

Okay, I meant Dead Signal.

I did enjoy Dead Set too mind, but that's not related, in medium or 2000 AD.  Well apart from the fact 2000 AD has also had plenty of zombies over the years. Yours truly included, my rotting brains making such a silly mistake...
Huuuurrrgh!

Frank

Not sure how much life there is left in the initial premise, but if the Winding-Refyn film ever happens Tharg would have to be an idiot not to capitalise on the publicity by commissioning another series of Button Man from Wagner. Shame Arthur Ranson wouldn't be able to draw it.

Taryn Tailz

Another vote for Caballistics Inc here. Personally I wouldn't mind seeing The 86ers return, but I imagine I'm in a minority of one on that.  :lol:

Alski

I'd say Ace Trucking, but without Bellardinelli it would be sacrilege.

I miss Harlem Heroes, would be nice to have a sports strip again. When was the last one?

"Cool Stuff You Will Like"

Music, Comics, Books, Video Games, TV and Film reviews/articles.

http://cool-stuff-you-will-like.blogspot.co.uk/

The Adventurer

Quote from: Alski on 05 August, 2012, 11:38:08 PM
I'd say Ace Trucking, but without Bellardinelli it would be sacrilege.

I miss Harlem Heroes, would be nice to have a sports strip again. When was the last one?

The last time there was a sports strip in the Prog? Second City Blues from, I want to say 2004 or 05? Definitly left hanging on a sequel on that strip. Love to see it back.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

SmallBlueThing

Yes, scond city blues definately. Very much enjoyed that strip, and would much prefer to see it return than a few of the things on tharg's current roster, to be honest.

SBT

Cthulouis

Generally, I would rather see something new rather than relying on past glories.

And yet reading this thread has made me yearn for Clint Langly's Shako verses Rupert the Bear.

Al Ewing on script, me thinks.

QuickQuag

Dreddverse:

HELLTREKKERS! Chuck it in the Meg with colour and a reliable artist and just let the assembled cast of crazies* tell the story. Work for me when I was thirteen.

(*By this I mean, try not to make the core family too straight-laced this time. Take a leaf from something like As I Lay Dying rather than The Grapes of Wrath. No offence, Mister Steinbeck) 

Non-Dreddverse:

You're best not asking me. I liked Armoured Gideon AND Dead Meat.
The views above are entirely my own. And there's the problem.

James Stacey

Another vote for Lobster random and another vote for no more Finn.

Deadlock with Flinty on art on the other hand should happen. Soon. There should also be a Hewligans Haircut 2 - Electric Boogaloo.

Skullmo

Quote from: bikini kill on 04 August, 2012, 07:12:54 PM
Quote from: strontium_dog_90 on 04 August, 2012, 06:12:30 PM
anyone else like to see some more of Finn?

Finn pretty much ran its course, but I'd be interested in seeing Pat Mills revisit the world and characters of Third World War without the hectoring tone of the original series or the Wiccan superheroics and hot lesbians of Finn.

Lots of what that strip had to say about the future of work and the relationship between business and government is still relevant, and it could provide an opportunity to imagine what forms resistance to a different, more subtle and pervasive kind of tyranny than either Savage or V for Vendetta portrayed might take.

It was all a bit David Icke!
It's a joke. I was joking.