Main Menu

Goosebump moments in comics.

Started by Roger Godpleton, 11 September, 2009, 03:17:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Gloady

Another earth-shattering revelation from me then:

The first Terminator movie is a reasonably fun flick - I can't cope with the rest of it though.  I hate the sequels.  All of them.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

SamuelAWilkinson

Quote from: Mike Gloady on 16 September, 2009, 09:48:38 AM
Another earth-shattering revelation from me then:

The first Terminator movie is a reasonably fun flick - I can't cope with the rest of it though.  I hate the sequels.  All of them. Except for Terminator 2, which was more awesome than the first one.

You had a bit of a typo there, but I've fixed it for you.
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

Mike Gloady

No.  Terminator 2 sucked the big one through a thirty metre length of hose like the god of all hoovers.  The end.

the shutdown man

Aaaaanyhooooo...

What's "Because I hate you" actually from?

EDIT: Nevermind, I've just seen the answer on my second pass....
You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

SmallBlueThing

Quote from: Mike Gloady on 16 September, 2009, 11:20:49 AM
No.  Terminator 2 sucked the big one through a thirty metre length of hose like the god of all hoovers.  The end.

You're so right. Utterly reprehensible shite. A pox on James Cameron, I say.

SBT

Buddy

Not really sure if I have an actual 'goosebumps' moment in a comic but there is a story by Phillip Bond in one of the A1 books called Endless Summer.

It's a crackin wee story from one of my fave comic artists and when I read it, it makes me feel kinda sad... but in a good way.

I was once available on Bonds website to read but I've just checked and the website has been redone since then and it's no longer available.

Track it down if you can.. A1 Book 3.

BoJirch

Preacher- The fight between Cassidy and Jesse. In fact, drokk it, the entire last TPB of Preacher. So many tragic ends to brilliant characters. Herr Starrs speach about becoming a monster 'I certainly look the part' Am I the only one who likes Herr Starr?! Cant but help love the bald git! Preacher is without a shadow of a doubt the best comic ever written.

Mike Gloady

It really ISN'T actually - there are HUNDREDS of better comics out there than Preacher.  But it is reasonably good fun. 

Starr is about the only likeable character in the whole thing, he's beautifully pantomime and over the top.

BoJirch

You fail to mention any. To me it really is the best comic. The artworks unmatchable and the writing top notch. It contains so many themes, Friendship, Love, a thorough examination of religion, violence, comedy tragedy.. the list could go on) Have not yet read a better comic, and doubt I will, but would be chuffed if I ever did.

Buddy

I must have missed the meeting telling me all about how good Preacher is 'cause I don't rate it at all.

You mention Dillons art, I found it more Dillon lite.

Steve Dillon has done some brilliant comic art (just about every Dredd he did was top drawer stuff) but Preacher isn't one of them. I'm convinced he cut back on the detail to meet the monthly deadlines.

A better comic with better art... I'd rate The Dark Knight Returns, Peter Bagges HATE, Sterenko on Nick Fury, Alan Moores Swamp Thing, Love and Rockets, Born Again among others above Preacher.

But I understand it's all subjective and each to their own.

TordelBack

QuoteHave not yet read a better comic, and doubt I will, but would be chuffed if I ever did.

That's a good attitude!  Just to pick one, have you read Beto Hernandez's Palomar stories?  Honestly, go do that (three volume lovely cheap edition currently available).  I'd be very impresssed if you said Preacher was better than that because, well, it isn't.  In my opinion, obviously.

SmallBlueThing

Now, I love me a bit of 'Preacher'- I can happily grab a trade down from the shelf and spend an evening chortling away at some classic Garth Ennis excess and enjoying Steve Dillon's (yes, I think) deadline-inspired more simplistic artwork. I've never read the series from start to stop, only own selected trades and have no real interest in ever plugging the gaps, to be honest. But- yes, it's great fun in a violent, sweary, funny, irreligious kind of way. Part of the fun for me is that it's drawn by Dillon- an artist I've followed since the late seventies and always admired, and so feels consequently like picking up an issue of Teen Titans, drawn by George Perez and finding he's drawn massive cocks on all the characters. A bit naughty.

But I know a lot of people (especially non-comic readers) rate it very highly indeed- and it's often called "the best comic ever done". I have a sneaking suspicion this may be said entirely to wind up fans of Sandman (and to a lesser degree Mr Moore) and to make them jump up and down huffing that how can the rough boys across the road possibly prefer that profane garbage to their esoteric retellings of ancient myths and marvellous use of Jungian Archetypes, strop strop.

A bit like the reaction of Beatles fans (and hairy people in general) to Punk at the end of the seventies.

Actually, the more I talk about 'Preacher', the more I DO want to get the missing trades and read it all the way through. It's that kind of series- like a lot of Ennis's work, it's an overexcited puppy of a comic that you can't help but like, even when it shits in the corner. Which it does, quite a lot.

SBT

HdE

I'm not sure if this is a 'goosebumps' moment as it is a 'holy fecea!' moment - but I gotta mention the astonishing events that finish off volume 3 of Akira.

We're talking APOCALYPSE WRIT LARGE! I remember reading that sequence and catching myself reading with my mouth agape. It's made all the more striking for the fact that the characters we've grown to enjoy through the preceding two-and-a-bit books are caught smack dab in the middle, right in the midst of the depiction of all hell breaking loose. And of course, it all ends with a full page illustration that really looks like it could be an image from a motion picture.

Utterly, utterly incredible stuff. It was an awesome way for Otomo to visually demonstrate that the series was heading in a different direction from that point on.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

SmallBlueThing

I've never read Akira- though I was dragged to see the film once while very, very ill and consequently remember nothing about it. I think I may actually read this- comics are better than films anyway and while I have an allergic reaction to both anime and manga normally, something says I MAY, just may, be able to tolerate it.

SBT

I, Cosh

Quote from: HdE on 17 September, 2009, 06:25:00 PM
Utterly, utterly incredible stuff. It was an awesome way for Otomo to visually demonstrate that the series was heading in a different direction from that point on.

I read Akira in the old Epic editions and one of my favourite things in comics ever is the way the issue containing that sequence was differentiated from the rest so you knew even before getting it home and reading it that there was something special about it.

(it's #16, incidentally)
We never really die.