Main Menu

The Dream Warriors

Started by richerthanyou, 04 March, 2016, 07:02:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 11 September, 2022, 06:38:54 PMI was skeptical but several of the random things I made seemed to fit well with what each area represented - but it might just as well have been imposing meanings on meaningless shapes...

Hmmm... I'm a bit cynical about this kind of thing, having tried a few different types of therapy myself.  I remember a therapist telling me to act as if I was some kind of chrysalis opening to be a butterfly or something.  I did it, felt ridiculous and gave her a bit of a bollocking for getting me to do something so foolish and ineffective.

17 years later, and knowing a wee bit more about psychotherapy, I haven't changed my mind one bit -  my only regret is not being able to articulate exactly what was so silly about it, which I could do now.

EDIT - Apologies - I'm a couple of pints down and am mentally blending this thread and the Black Dog one mentioned above
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

Nothing wrong with being blended ;-)

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

Last night, I was on the Moon with another guy, exploring in a fairly futuristic pressurised rover. The other guy spotted a cave he was excited about (he was a geologist, I was just a driver). He said that the rock didn't look lunar and the cave displayed all the hallmarks of being created by water, which was impossible. So we suited up and stepped out to explore.

Inside, the cave expanded into a modest cavern with an easy to climb ridge cutting across it. We climbed. At the top, we found the other side had been piled high with ancient, mostly split, bags of rock salt (the kind used on roads in frosty weather). At the base of this pile was an old bulldozer, all rusty and neglected, that obviously hadn't moved in decades. There was also another entrance, through which shone the unmistakable glow of daylight. We scrambled down the pile of rotting bags and found there was an atmosphere, so we ditched our suits and headed out into the daylight.

Outside this cave was a pine forest and, running past the cave, a fast river. We tried to make our way along the narrow bank of the river but it was thin and slippery and we soon fell in to be propelled at speed in the rushing water. The ride was cold and disorienting, and I got only fleeting glimpses of a bridge, trees, and a few buildings as we were ducked and swept along. Eventually we fetched up in a swirling pool on the other side of the river where a large concrete pipe sucked us up and deposited us into a pool inside a factory of some kind.

We exited the pool and started searching the factory, which seemed to be mostly automated and doing something we couldn't fathom. Eventually, we found two large Russians who wanted to arrest us until we convinced them that we'd discovered a short cut to the Moon, a short cut that would allow Lunar exploration at a fraction of the cost of all that tedious and dangerous mucking about with rockets. After a brief argument, they agreed to follow us back to check out our story and promised to shoot us only if we were lying.

When we got back to the pool in which we'd been deposited, the two big Russians seemed confused and said they didn't know of any way to bypass the pipe, so they radioed for scuba gear which arrived in a dream-logic instant. We struggled down the pipe, against the flow of water, back into the swirling pool at the edge of the river, and pulled ourselves out. The Russians looked around and were confused but didn't admit to anything. On the other side of the river was a small town that didn't look Russian and, beside one of the buildings, a strange aircraft (a bit like the drop ship from Aliens but more advanced) was hovering vertically, its nose pointed to the sky. As we watched, it rose effortlessly into the air, leveled out and then zoomed away.

We followed the river to the bridge, crossed it and then made our way carefully along the narrow bank until we found the cave. Inside, we spotted a door that had been hidden by the old bulldozer and opened it. On the other side was a vast, bright factory in which submarine-like, white starships were being built. The place was fantastic, like something out of modern Star Trek, and vast. It went on seemingly forever in all directions. A group of security guards spotted us and started shooting, so we ran back to the door and into the cave where the bulldozer was. We barricaded the door but it obviously wasn't going to hold them for long.

The geologist and I put on our space suits. Tha plan was to wrap the Russians tightly in the split rock salt bags with their aqualungs inside and make a dash for our Lunar rover. They'd suffer, but the distance was small and there was every chance they'd make it. We carried their cocooned bodies up the slippery slope of rock salt. The door behind the rotting bulldozer blasted open...

Then I bloody well woke up. I hope we made it...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Me, I've had lots of Walking Dead dreams, but this time I was in the Terminator apocalypse.  I started off in a massive field littered in skulls as far as the eye could see, and was standing nearby the two gigantic decommissioned robotic lorries that had deposited them there (the field being a kind of Skynet rubbish dump for human heads, I suppose).

Me and a group of survivors managed a terrifying journey through wrecked and corpse-strewn seaside towns to our makeshift village, where children were taking advantage of the adults' absence by playing out in the open where they could easily be spotted by the machines.  They were roundly dragged into our secret caves to be punished by a burly army type, who stuck duct tape to them and ripped hair off their skin to cause them pain.  Everyone silently agreed that it was nasty but the right thing to do, as it might save their lives in the future.

Good times.  I blame whiskey, chocolate and war anxiety.

JayzusB.Christ

Well feck me pink if I haven't just discovered Rakka on Netflix, which pretty much was the film of the dream in the aforementioned post.
Aliens instead of Skynet, of course, but I even had the bad guys altering human brains with mechanical parts. If only my waking mind was so creative.

The Legendary Shark

Last night, an alien knocked on my door and politely invited me aboard its hypercraft - which was disguised as a bucket. The alien, which had no real form and presented as a kind of mash-up of everything, explained that they weren't doing abductions any more since it was pointed out to them by Albert Einstein that this kind of thing was very impolite. I climbed into the bucket after it/him/her/them and found myself in something like Carl Sagan's 'spaceship of the mind' from Cosmos.

In the middle of the structure was a waist-high white plinth with a glowing, vibrating, undulating yet roughly circular ribbon of energy roiling above it. This, the alien explained, was a superstring, the fundamental essence of the universe. I said that this was pretty cool, but why show me?

"Look at it," the alien said, so I looked. As the superstring vibrated, bits of it constantly disappeared from view and then came back again. This, the alien explained, was bits of the superstring vibrating into other dimensions. When the bits reappeared, they released small bubbles of spacetime, dragging them out of the tiny dimensions like droplets of water splashed about. The alien said that this was the driving force behind the expansion of the universe and the origin of time, which doesn't flow but expands, just like space, and also the source of all consciousness. "There is no dark matter," the alien said, "what you mistake for that is this."

The alien then extended its hand/paw/tentacle/claw and concentrated. The string ceased vibrating and suddenly a feeling of intense 'wrongness' flooded through me. It was really quite frightening and I begged the alien to stop, to let the string vibrate again. It did so and said, "We can do this to every superstring within the human body, if we wish."

I was appalled and terrified but it told me not to worry because they would never do this. "Then, why show me?"

"If we wanted to attack you, this is how we'd do it," it said (suddenly looking like Victor Meldrew). "You'd all instantly fall dead, with everything else left unaffected. We wouldn't use lasers or bombs or any of that overly destructive sci-fi crap, and you wouldn't see a single UFO in the skies, either. You'd just be dead. Instantly," it concluded significantly. I demanded to know why it was threatening me and it sighed, like someone trying to train a puppy not to pee on the carpet. "It's not a threat, it's a warning," it said. "If you see fleets of UFOs blasting cities to rubble, it won't be us." I asked who it would be and the alien tapped the side of its nose/beak/snout/trunk and refused to say any more. Then it gave me an Airfix kit of the Death Star and kicked me out.

I found myself back in the 'real' world, with my foot stuck in a bucket, being chased back to the Sharkshed by two very angry Men in Black.

Then I woke up.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

The cover of the latest prog has made me remember a dream I had when I was about 6 or 7. I don't remember many Marvel comics in the house at all but there must have been some, because I dreamed about Ghost Rider, a character I know virtually nothing about. Instead of a flaming skull, iirc the rider was headless but there was a living human face on the front of the bike, which I found far scarier.

I also remember around the same time dreaming of a comic about two superheroes called Man Eye (a man with an eye logo on his costume) and the Centaur (exactly that).

I think, in hindsight, my brother had been banned from buying 2000ad at the time, hence the poorer substitutes littered about our bedroom. Thankfully Dredd was soon back on the scene and my dreams upped their game accordingly.