Main Menu

This is the News!

Started by Funt Solo, 28 March, 2022, 05:16:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

broodblik

Well that is the only way that I can watch the Oscars maybe next time organize a full out brawl
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Tiplodocus

Pretty disappointed in this actually. I wouldn't put up with it from Jeremy Clarkson so I shouldn't put up with it from the Fresh Prince.

Violence never a good idea. Especially when the joke about Jada was based around GI JANE. Surely the obvious response is to tell Chris Rock "Suck my d!*k!".
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Richmond Clements

Making a joke about a persons medical condition is horrible behaviour. Slapping someone in the face is also horrible behaviour. None of them come out of this well and I bet they both feel like shit this morning.

Richard

Quite an understandable reaction under the circumstances.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I heard after that one little fight his mom got scared and said "You're moving to your auntie and uncle in Bel-Air"
You may quote me on that.

Funt Solo

I can't accept Smith's behavior as being at all justified. First off, his wife isn't his property - so he doesn't need to defend her honor by slapping people about. I don't even know if Chris Rock knew that her hair style was more of a condition than a choice. Smith didn't act with honor (even if you buy into the idea that husbands have a duty to protect their wives) because he didn't give Chris any warning - he sucker-slapped him. Then he gives a speech in which he effectively says that violence is love, which is an excuse used by abusers.

Seems like a lot of folk are walking away from this with entirely the wrong message in their heads - because "violence is the answer" deserves a more compelling question than this.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

nxylas

Quote from: Funt Solo on 28 March, 2022, 03:16:57 PM
I don't even know if Chris Rock knew that her hair style was more of a condition than a choice.
These events are heavily scripted. You'd think somebody would have said "are you sure about this?"
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

Richard

QuoteFirst off, his wife isn't his property - so he doesn't need to defend her
People don't only care about their property. You can defend people you care about too.

QuoteI can't accept Smith's behavior as being at all justified
I agree it's not justified. But I think it's quite understandable, and that there's no need to suggest that he's an abuser who thinks his wife is his chattel; that's a bit of an overreaction and lacking in empathy.

There's plenty of ground between "morally beyond reproach" and "despicable."

Funt Solo

Quote from: Richard on 28 March, 2022, 08:36:28 PM
a bit of an overreaction and lacking in empathy.

What's worse: Smith's assault or my reaction?

I'd have a lot more sympathy for his assaulting someone without warning if he took the time to apologize for it later - which he hasn't. I mean: not to the the victim of his physical violence. Painting it as "violence out of love" is - simply - abusive. "This is going to hurt me more than it hurts you." Yeah - no.

Maybe he will apologize in the future. Who knows? I hope he does - because he's an influential man, and what he's just taught everyone watching is that violence is okay, violence in defense of ill-defined honor red lines is okay - you even get to have an award later and go to a party and smile for the cameras and not apologize to your victim. It's all perfectly okay.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Tiplodocus

Refreshingly a proper apology. No weasel words immediately obvious to me and none of that "I'm sorry you feel that way..." crap.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Funt Solo

Ukraine war: Russia to curb Kyiv assault as peace talks progress

Glimmers of hope at the peace talks - so odd to see Abramovich in the middle of all that. I thought he was "just a businessman". I suppose that's naive of me.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Funt Solo on 29 March, 2022, 03:20:21 PM

Glimmers of hope at the peace talks - so odd to see Abramovich in the middle of all that. I thought he was "just a businessman". I suppose that's naive of me.

Have you heard of "sports washing"?
You may quote me on that.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Mister Pops on 29 March, 2022, 10:22:51 PM
Quote from: Funt Solo on 29 March, 2022, 03:20:21 PM

Have you heard of "sports washing"?

I'd not heard the phrase before - although I was aware of the 1936 Olympics being a propaganda platform for Nazi Germany. I'd always thought Russia having oligarchs was relatively positive - you know - happy economy means happy state, sort of thing. Mind you - I was just reading one of the later chapters of Sapiens (Harari, 2015) and he was saying how relatively peaceful the world had become. (He did end the chapter by saying that it might not stay that way, though.)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++