Main Menu

James Gunn's DCU announcement

Started by rogue69, 31 January, 2023, 06:08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogue69

DC have announced some of the first films & TV shows to come in the James Gunn era.
These includethe TV shows Waller a spin off from Peachemaker, Lanterns based around Hal Jordan and John Stewart, Paradise Lost set on Themyscira/Paradise Island Booster Gold
films include Swamp thing, Superman Legacy, The Authority & Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow
https://www.dc.com/blog/2023/01/31/the-next-generation-of-dc-movies-and-tv-has-arrived?

nxylas

I knew they had the press conference, but I thought this info was embargoed until tomorrow?
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: nxylas on 31 January, 2023, 06:16:45 PM
I knew they had the press conference, but I thought this info was embargoed until tomorrow?

Well, James Gunn has tweeted a six-minute video of him explaining all the upcoming DC slate and, to an extent, how they'll fit together. You may colour me cautiously hopeful...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Tiplodocus

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Jim_Campbell

TBH, my only real disappointment there is that a decent-budget Swamp Thing horror movie is the final thing on the current slate. TAKE MY MONEY!
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

lincnash

That lineup seems to confirm the (for decades) rumoured LOBO movie, won't ever see the light of day.
No matter how many click bait interviews both 'THE' Rock and Moana did last year.
:(

RookieNerd

Ok when Gunn said Superman Legacy and the video showed a picture of All Star Superman SPOILERS (Sups is dying in that book)

Instead of a more fun Supergirl (say from B&tB/LoL) with Lobo they pick the edgy tortured Super girl version of Tom King.

Paradise Lost is kind of a middling book about abolishing the amazonian monarchy.

Jumping to Damian Wayne allows for bat family drama daddy/mommy issues and the potential death of a Robin again if they tack on from Batman Inc/New 52 stuff. The third Robin to die I have come across so far.

Very little knowledge of Swamp Thing beyond DCeased, but due to the current trends in Hollywood I can see him as the climate change angle.

No idea of the Authority beyond Gunn implying edgy Guardians vibe. Sounds like his thing that maybe he can pull that off?

Half the DCU writing team are the fail upward types. The DCU reboot maybe 50% ok maybe?

Dropping Cavil got rid of a chunk of good will after Gunn Teased Kingdom Come an older Sups, but then dropped him. Read S/KC this year and a quick fave. I get why the DCU dropped it. It is kind of a end game finisher movie even if it is a Elseword tale. Liked it better than the comic Civil War and the art is amazing.

The funny thing is that, because the DCU failed I went to the source looking for a DC superhero fix with the comics. I realised they haven't really adapted DC that well at all in live action. I don't expect Gunn to do any better adapting live action DC. He is known for telling his actors don't read the source.

It's surreal that fairly new to DC comics last year or so Gunn has focused on a lot of the slices of DC that I have tried.

So my bet is Gunn direction is Bat family melodrama, dying Superman, Anti monarchy Wonder Woman rejecting tradition and edgy tortured Supergirl stepping in for Sups. With Swamp Thing climate change the movie. The Authority BAMN is yet another deconstruction of the Superhero. So not like that hasn't been done to death with the Boys/Injustice.

Link Prime

Bit underwhelmed meself, although I do like the sound of a movie based on The Authority.

Gunn has a proven track record, let's see if he can deliver.