Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: sintec on 15 September, 2021, 09:36:14 AM
Disappointing to see that Defoe is going to be one story short of the whole run. Colin MacNeil's name on the cover means we'll be getting Diehards but no mention of Stewart Kenneth Moore means no Divisor. And with just that 1 story left there's not going to be enough strip left to fill a book :( I guess they could do some mixed vo8lumes to tie up loose ends but I'm not going to bet on it. Shame.

The only way to include it all would have been to have two 'trilogy' books - all the Leigh Gallagher stuff - and then the two final, longer, series in a third volume. Maybe they thought three volumes was too much real estate to take up?
@jamesfeistdraws

IndigoPrime

Really, the nature of partworks is they're rarely complete. We've been quite fortunate with the 2000 AD one to get as much as we have of the various series. It's a world away from the Marvel ones. (Even the Transformers one was problematic—the ordering of strips was a mess. God knows why Furman made the decisions he did regarding the 1980s stuff.)

The only one I imagine perhaps goes further is the Vertigo partwork running in Spain.

sintec

Yeah it wasn't unexpected given the contents of the first volume. Just a shame as it would have been nice to have the whole lot under hardcover. Particualy given Pat's stepping away and which means there probably isn't going to be anymore in the prog (at least for the foreseeable future). Guess I'll just have to cross my fingers for a TPB from Rebellion at some point to get the last bit.

The Monarch

i can confirm to the shock of noone that the order does indeed contain the first four stories and two rather surprising revelations that i did not know about. the first is book six is gonna be in the prog by the end of this year and that there is the possibility of further cross pollination with other 2000ad strips beyond armoured gideon

Barrington Boots

Quote from: The Monarch on 16 September, 2021, 11:49:23 AM
...and that there is the possibility of further cross pollination with other 2000ad strips beyond armoured gideon

Dry Run crossover?
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Barrington Boots

In all seriousness I've been promising myself a re-read of The Order for a while now and it would be foolish to miss this chance, so I've ordered this, along with the Jaegir volume after being shown up for my lack of memory on the Prog thread by GR himself.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

sintec

Good choice Barrington, the Jaegir volume is fantastic.

Just finished the most recent pair of books and those are also superb. I think Brink may be the first volume where I'd already read all of it in the Prog (started buying at 2100). Reads brilliantly in collected form and lovely to have it in a nice hardcover volume, can't wait for further series to appear in the prog. Also great to get the complete run of Absalom. I skipped Terminal Diagnosis when it ran in the prog as I didn't want to spoiler the early parts of the run for myself. Glad I did as there were plenty of twists and turns along the way. That run of single episode appearences from the end of year specials must have been somewhat infuriating when it was in the prog though.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: sintec on 16 September, 2021, 03:40:03 PM
That run of single episode appearences from the end of year specials must have been somewhat infuriating when it was in the prog though.

It wasn't quite as bad as it seems in the book; the first one-off, Sick Leave, originally ran between Absalom's first and second series.
@jamesfeistdraws

The Corinthian

Quote from: The Monarch on 16 September, 2021, 11:49:23 AM
i can confirm to the shock of noone that the order does indeed contain the first four stories and two rather surprising revelations that i did not know about. the first is book six is gonna be in the prog by the end of this year

Given what's already been previewed for the next couple of months, there's not really space for an extended (10ish part) run between Prog 2250 and the end of the year, so I presume this going to start in Tharg's bumper pre-Christmas special prog?

Also, yay!

Jade Falcon

I've been sitting on a stack of the books for a while now and just read Grey Area and quite enjoyed it but was surprised that a certain character was killed off so early.

Defoe, I'm not sure about, if this makes sense the artwork is a little too... 'chaotic' for my liking, which I realise given the setting is intentional but I'm really not too sure on this.

Starting on the last of Red Seas.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

Max Headroom

Sad that there will be no complete 'The Order' or 'Defoe', but am still hoping for another 'Stickleback' volume in the next extension. Wondering also how much of what's left of 'Grey Area' will make it in?

sintec

I reckon there should be enough space in the 2nd volume to bring us right up to date with Grey Area.

I'm with you on hoping for a 2nd Stickleback volume in the extension, would be a crying shame if we don't get that. Personally I'd have preferred to see Defoe split over 3 volumes so we could have the complete run, guess I'll just have to hope it gets a trade at some point so I can get the last bit (and probably end up double dipping for the pleasure :() Guess it'll be end up being a similar situation for The Order. I can't see them reprinting the new story scheduled to start in the xmas prog in the 2nd extension and I don't see them managing to stretch this out beyond the 140 books current scheduled.

IndigoPrime

It'll be interesting to see whether they list the remaining books ahead of time. Not far off 111 now, are we?

Max Headroom

Forgot to ask - does Defoe volume 2 include 'Frankensteiner'?

I, Cosh

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 16 September, 2021, 04:03:16 PM
Quote from: sintec on 16 September, 2021, 03:40:03 PM
That run of single episode appearences from the end of year specials must have been somewhat infuriating when it was in the prog though.

It wasn't quite as bad as it seems in the book; the first one-off, Sick Leave, originally ran between Absalom's first and second series.
Don't remember if being infuriating at all. Rennie and Abnett are basically the only two current* writers who understand how to make a single episode work as both a complete story and part of the overall strip. Much preferable to get a one-off like that to keep the strip in the mind than nothing at all

*Wagner doesn't count here
We never really die.