Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banners

Apparently, I don't get a Valentine's Day card now we're married. ~harumph!~

TordelBack

Quote from: Banners on 14 February, 2013, 11:55:46 AM

That's not all you don't get any more mate.   

In an effort to improve my own odds in that department, I set about making a Tiramasu* for our Valentine's meal (aka something to soak up the wine while watching Breaking Bad, ah true love), but despite my best efforts, I don't think the folded-in-egg-white had the desired en-fluffening effect.  It's too late now for this round, but is anyone any good at that bit?  I whisked the egg whites until they were peaked, and folded them v-e-r-y gently into the cheese mix, but by the time I'd ladled the combined goop on to the sponge it had all the lightness of polyfilla.  Should I have keep whisking the eggs longer?  Should I just have dolloped the two bits together?  Damnit, I despair of the dessert station - any dish you can't fix by adding cumin and pepper is beyond me. 

Wait, this is the Threadjacking thread, isn't it?

*had one as our wedding cake, I'm well romantic me.

Colin Zeal

had an interview for a promotion at work today. Wasn't really expecting to get the job and have now found out that i didn't. Hopefully the date i'm on tonight will go a bit better, although the fact that I managed to arrange it for Valentine's day without realising isn't really the best possible start.

Spikes

Any boarders from the South Yorks/Humber region will know that the line from Sheff to Megs is always been plagued with some kind of minor woe that grinds travel to a halt, but it looks like theyve an excuse this time...

Normal service may not be ressumed for a while.

Ancient Otter

Quote from: Judge Jack on 14 February, 2013, 05:53:48 PM
Any boarders from the South Yorks/Humber region will know that the line from Sheff to Megs is always been plagued with some kind of minor woe that grinds travel to a halt, but it looks like theyve an excuse this time...

Normal service may not be ressumed for a while.

I can't wait for the Hornby/Aurora AFX crossover set for recreating this!

JamesC

Went to an Italian restaurant for Valentine's Day.
Italian food is overrated and I don't like restaurants (except Indians). If I want another drink I want it straight away, not 10 minutes later when I've managed to get the waiter's attention. Everything in restaurants is to serve the restaurant's convenience rather than the customers and everything goes at their pace.

Banners

Quote from: TordelBack on 14 February, 2013, 12:54:28 PM
Quote from: Banners on 14 February, 2013, 11:55:46 AM

That's not all you don't get any more mate.   

Confirmed.

von Boom

The hamster that runs my wheel seems to be asleep since I seem to making nothing but stupid, small mstakes today.

mogzilla

cos its my week off and i'm decorating the little uns bedroom only the "one coat" lilac paint doesnt like the previos lemon scheme and ive had to go over it... i am supposed to be building ikea stuff as well but i cant be arsed as long as the painting is slapdashed done and the room is reasonably tidy i'll postpone the rest...and the wife is having a lumbar puncture on thursday so i'll be busy looking afetr her as well,busy busy!

radiator

Ugh. I'm in America, suffering from SEVERE jet lag and disorientation. Ive never travelled outside of Europe before and really wasnt prepared for it at all. Suffering from crazy mood swings, anxiety, despair, homesickness, fatigue, loss of appetite, even an upset stomach.

I was really looking forward to the visit, but i feel like I'm having some sort of allergic reaction to the place and kind of just wish I was at home right now. And I'm stuck here for the next ten days!

My girlfriend is dealing with it the same as me, if not worse.

I really hope our negative attitude is just a result of the jet lag...

blackmocco

It's jet-lag, Radiator. Give it a chance. Your body's freaking out because your time-zones are all fucked up. Happens to me every time I go home to Dublin and then every time I come back here to LA. Seems to get worse as I get older too, sadly. You'll be alright. America is completely overwhelming on a first visit. Where are you in the US?
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

radiator

Portland, Oregon.

I'm pretty staggered by how culture-shocked I feel, having always assumed I'd fit right in here being so familiar with the language and culture and all that. I grew up in awe of America, and now I'm experiencing it for real it's really quite disconcerting how alien and weird it all feels. I never thought in a million years my initial reaction would be one of mild revulsion and the urge to leave and go home.

It's hard to describe, but everything feels a bit off, a bit unreal. The streets are wide but largely deserted, in a slightly unsettling 28 Days Later kind of way. The buildings are huge but I'm beginning to suspect they're all made of MDF and hollow inside. There are a million little things, really.

blackmocco

You'd probably have felt more at home, weirdly enough, in one of the bigger cities like LA, San Francisco or New York. I hear Portland's beautiful. Haven't been yet. This'll pass. American culture is a lot different than what we're used to and the first order of business is that everything's much bigger so people drive everywhere. Takes a bit of getting used to. Are you actually in the city or are you a bit out...?
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

radiator

In the city, about a ten minute walk from downtown. I don't know if I'd describe it as beautiful tbh, the surrounding landscape maybe. I'm going to try and explore some of the trendier neighbourhoods today because so far I've seen very, very little to justify the city's reputation as being this hip and alternative idyll.

CrazyFoxMachine

Why're you there in particular if I may ask, Rad?

It's an interesting place to single out if there isn't a familial reason. I've heard a lot about Portland from TV shows and whatnot but obviously no place is like it's depicted on that glowing thing. Like, for example Baltimore is probably quite charming.

Now if Treme is to be believed New Orleans is a sparkly, violent, cynical and magical type of place.