Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noisybast

Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

TordelBack

Quote from: Noisybast on 20 June, 2013, 09:37:34 AM
So it would appear.

CCTV generally seems worse than useless, doubly so when coupled with police attitudes.  My wife's workplace is a sprawling mess of buildings in an isolated location, and is frequently burgled.  In every instance the perps were recorded on multiple, presumably expensive, cameras, and apparently nothing could be done.  The footage was good enough that in several instances the guys could actually be recognised on earlier recordings casing the place during the day.  Still no use to the police.  Does make you wonder what the point is, other than spying on staff and providing material for YouTube, I mean.

Hope there's some way of progressing your search, Noisy.

radiator

I mentioned on this thread a few months back about some loon tearing my girlfriends wing mirror off her car (while she was inside the car) in a road rage type incident, in broad daylight, on a busy London street, and she had taken his reg number - in that case the police weren't even prepared to check cctv footage, and kept fobbing her off with excuses like 'they wipe the tapes after 24 hours'. Her only course of action was to try and get his insurance to pay for it, but it would just be her word against his, so was pointless.

It really does make you wonder what the point of CCTV is, if not for things like that.

JamesC

At the building I work in Norwich we've had the CCTV used in court a number of times - there are loads of forms to filled out and the thing about the tapes being wiped every 24 hours is rubbish. When we used tapes we kept them for a month, now we use a digital system that also keeps the footage for a month on a giant DVR thing. When the police want some footage to use in court they have to request it formally and it gets burned onto a disc which has to be put in a sealed envelope and opened by a credited party to make sure there's no tampering.
It's worth saying though, that this only happens in relation to quite serious crimes when they want to prove where someone was and when (it's very rare any crimes have actually happened on site).

We don't get requests in relation to stolen bikes. In fact we've actually had excellent footage of bikes being nicked from the bike racks on site but the police are not interested. All we can do is ban the perps from site and keep our eyes on them.

radiator

Considering refusing to work right now due to lack of air conditioning in our office. This is beyond ridiculous! Literally soaked in sweat.

Zarjazzer

The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Spikes

Link Prime

Quote from: Judge Jack on 21 June, 2013, 07:02:03 PM
Ive got bloody Shingles.

That's shit Iain.
Mate of mine swears by coconut oil for the rash.

TordelBack

Simon Beigh

Ive got bloody Shingles.

Really sorry to hear that, fella. Wishing you a speedy recovery...

Hawkmumbler

Ive got bloody Shingles.
Blimey. Nasty stuff sir, hoping for a swift recovery from all at Hawkins Downs.

radiator

Ooh, nasty - hope you get well soon.

I had shingles when I was 4 or 5 years old. I still don't fully understand how that was possible, but I know I have some small scars on the side of my stomach from it.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: radiator on 21 June, 2013, 09:23:41 PM
I had shingles when I was 4 or 5 years old. I still don't fully understand how that was possible, but I know I have some small scars on the side of my stomach from it.

You need to previously have contracted chicken pox to manifest shingles as it's a re-activation of the hibernated virus in later life. Chicken pox can cause scarring too. Never heard of any kids with shingles as it usually appears due to lower immunity caused by stress.

radiator

My memory of it is very vague, but I dimly remember having like weird rings of sores around my torso and being off school for a few days. AFAIK, despite common knowledge you can contract it as a kid but it's more severe if you get it as an adult.

Could have been a misdiagnosis I suppose, but I do remember it being quite a big deal and being the focus of a lot of attention.

Sideshow Bob

As far as I was aware,  it's as Mr Soap says,  a re-activation of the hibernating Chicken Pox virus that produces Shingles in adults.......Several friends have had it and it's absolutely horrendous.......so sympathies with you Iain......

Chicken pox in children can produce scarring if the spots ( like watery blisters ) are squeezed or scratched open....When I was a kid and caught it,  the practice at the time was to make you wear mittens ( on Doctors instructions ) when sleeping,  so you didn't 'pick' the spots.....I'm talking very early 60s.....
Medical knowledge has moved on since, ( thankfully ) but common practices then included ......
Calamine lotion for sunburn, Shearing your hair if there was an outbreak of nits in your school....( whether you caught them or not ) and Kaolin poultices for infected cuts,  to 'draw' the poison out.... :o
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890