Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 09 April, 2014, 11:48:31 AM
Isn't technically the interior of a vehicle not "the site" anyway - this is why workmen don't have to wear full PPE when they're in the cabs of their diggers?

I've written more than my fair share of HS&W Statements, and wasted countless hours on Safety Management courses, and you're certainly right about PPE.  However, PPE is a usually considered a 'Last Resort' element of Risk Assessment only applied as a Control Measure where hazards cannot otherwise be eliminated (and hazards to a driver that would require PPE don't exist when they are in the cab), and other site safety rules do apply to people in cabs: no headphones, no alcohol etc., so it's conceivable that ASDA's rules apply to the interior of vehicles too.  However, while talking on the phone while loading/unloading may have valid safety implications, I utterly fail to see how Being In Possession of A Loaded Dog does.  It's simply not a risky behaviour, for anyone, so by definition the risk assessment (if such it is) has not been competently compiled - too many rules are as dangerous as too few, the spurious ones distracting from the important. 

Far more serious matters for a food business would be Sharky ever having had a packet of peanuts in the cab and thus potentially transferring nut oils to the palette while unloading, but I'm guessing that one wasn't enforced.

Mind you, if they were screening for nuts Sharky would never have got in in the first place...

The Legendary Shark

Maybe not - but if they were screening for Balls it'd be a different matter...  Great punchline, Tordels. Wiping snot-coffee off my Kindle, you unutterable cad, you! :-D

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Tiplodocus

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Proudhuff

Quote from: TordelBack on 09 April, 2014, 12:11:49 PM
Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 09 April, 2014, 11:48:31 AM
Isn't technically the interior of a vehicle not "the site" anyway - this is why workmen don't have to wear full PPE when they're in the cabs of their diggers?

I've written more than my fair share of HS&W Statements, and wasted countless hours on Safety Management courses, and you're certainly right about PPE.  However, PPE is a usually considered a 'Last Resort' element of Risk Assessment only applied as a Control Measure where hazards cannot otherwise be eliminated (and hazards to a driver that would require PPE don't exist when they are in the cab), and other site safety rules do apply to people in cabs: no headphones, no alcohol etc., so it's conceivable that ASDA's rules apply to the interior of vehicles too.  However, while talking on the phone while loading/unloading may have valid safety implications, I utterly fail to see how Being In Possession of A Loaded Dog does.  It's simply not a risky behaviour, for anyone, so by definition the risk assessment (if such it is) has not been competently compiled - too many rules are as dangerous as too few, the spurious ones distracting from the important. 

Far more serious matters for a food business would be Sharky ever having had a packet of peanuts in the cab and thus potentially transferring nut oils to the palette while unloading, but I'm guessing that one wasn't enforced.

Mind you, if they were screening for nuts Sharky would never have got in in the first place...

maybe it was the dog's nuts she objected too
DDT did a job on me

von Boom

I know it shouldn't Sharky but your story made me laugh... bitterly. I had no idea women could have Napoleon complexes as well.

I dub this woman Die Tür Führer Frau.

Recrewt

Great story Sharky.  Unfortunately there are plenty of people around who just seem to want to make things harder for everyone else.  You handled it well and the ultimate snub to her is that you managed to find someone to look after the dog and still get the delivery done - that will have hurt her more than anything you could have said.

A.Cow

Quote from: Banners on 09 April, 2014, 08:20:28 AM
We're looking to rent a place at the moment, and I find it odd that some people stipulate no pets and leave it at that. This means that our harmless, soporific cat is banned – but that we are completely free to conduct our raucous and messy fortnightly Satanic virgin blood sacrifices.

Yes, but that's because Satanists don't smell of cat pee.

Banners

Why is is it necessary to constantly chase Solicitors and Estate Agents? It would be good if just once they managed to do something without me having to nag them. ~sigh~

(Perhaps it's because we're Satanists who smell of cat pee).

The Legendary Shark

Hit the books and do it yourself? In some of  the Classical societies, the attitude that only fools who couldn't manage their own affairs needed lawyers was not uncommon.

Today, I have been mostly watching an eight hour lecture about Common Law on YouTube. The power each of us has is almost incredible.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: A.Cow on 09 April, 2014, 08:17:55 PM
Quote from: Banners on 09 April, 2014, 08:20:28 AM
We're looking to rent a place at the moment, and I find it odd that some people stipulate no pets and leave it at that. This means that our harmless, soporific cat is banned – but that we are completely free to conduct our raucous and messy fortnightly Satanic virgin blood sacrifices.

Yes, but that's because Satanists don't smell of cat pee.

Yeah, but why do Marxists only drink green tea? 'cos proper tea is theft.

(Sorry)
Lock up your spoons!

Mardroid

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 09 April, 2014, 12:32:17 PM
Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 09 April, 2014, 10:26:40 AM
You should have gone back dressed as a dog.
This genuinely made me laugh out loud.
[/fquote]

Me too. The particularly the mental image of a guy in a dog suit driving the cab up to the gate...
Reminds me of a particular camera gag show broadcast a few years back that was always good for a laugh largely featuring people in animal costumes. The snail crossing the zebra crossing and the, and erm, 'exercising' rabbits spring to mind...

Something Fishy

Quote from: Banners on 11 April, 2014, 02:25:45 PM
Why is is it necessary to constantly chase Solicitors and Estate Agents? It would be good if just once they managed to do something without me having to nag them. ~sigh~

(Perhaps it's because we're Satanists who smell of cat pee).
Or anyone you need anything from.

I am chasing the NHS at Exeter as they have lost notes as to what anaesthetic nearly killed me in 08 .. Meaning  I have had to have a procedure I need cancelled as nobody wants to take the risk (least of all me).

Nobody will take responsibly, nobody will do a thing,  I've a feeling they simply didn't report it so that I couldn't claim against them had I actually complained at the time.  I wish I had now.

COMMANDO FORCES

Poor Trout, he moves to Canada and I've just heard that they are ending door to door delivery over the next five years from their postal service!

Trout

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 13 April, 2014, 07:39:17 PM
Poor Trout, he moves to Canada and I've just heard that they are ending door to door delivery over the next five years from their postal service!

That was announced a couple of months ago. It doesn't affect us, or most people, because community mailboxes (with individual, lockable boxes) are commonly used. It's a two-minute walk to ours. My parents, for example, have lived here for 13 years and they've never had mail to their door.

I would have expected you to be in favour of cuts to public services, CF. The changes to Canada Post are a prominent policy by the Conservative federal government here.

COMMANDO FORCES

Walking to collect your mail in rain and snow, how third world :lol:

As for cuts in public services, I've never been for that. People not obeying the rules and taking the piss, that's what I'm against.
In fact I've actually said a few times on here that I believe that with transportation, buses and trains should be free to the population, not people on holidays. Also sports centres and pools should be free, with a mass build program. Such things should be paid for out of general taxation but that's for the other thread.