Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoagy

Wasn't she sick on your week off ten pages ago GC? Hmmm. Was she sick or suffering cowardice of the living in denial?
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

The Doctor Alt 8

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 28 June, 2014, 05:43:44 PM
My washine machine finished it's cycle.  The first thing I pulled out was my favourite headphones.  Bah.
Could be worse..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkrgTuIJSlM

Trout

Quote from: GrinningChimera on 27 July, 2014, 01:08:52 AM
My girlfriend of over 3 years left me yesterday. :(

Nae luck, mate. You should get pished. All the best.

Link Prime

Quote from: Trout on 28 July, 2014, 02:23:43 AM
Quote from: GrinningChimera on 27 July, 2014, 01:08:52 AM
My girlfriend of over 3 years left me yesterday. :(

Nae luck, mate. You should get pished. All the best.

The pithy fish is correct.
Join Captain Morgans crew of miserable young scallywags and set sail for the edge of the horizon.

SmallBlueThing

Sorry to hear that GC, and hope you're bearing up. Reminds me I also owe you a pm about arms- which I will try to get to in the next few days.

My own minor impediment is that a week ago I underwent some "minor" surgery, which has rendered me useless, in grotesque pain, addicted to painkillers and unable to lift even a finger. If that's "minor" surgery I have no wish to ever undergo anything "major". First general anaesthetic too. Not an experience I am in a hurry to repeat.

SBT

Link Prime

Noisybast

Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

The Enigmatic Dr X

I've worked 175.3 hours since 1st August.

That's 13.48 hours a day, with two Saturdays off. And I'm about to start work again now, 9pm on Saturday night, having already done six hours today.

For all practical purposes, I haven't seen my kids for a month: it's been the school holidays, so I've left for work and come back when they are sleeping, and then worked the Sundays.

Sometimes, I loathe my job.
Lock up your spoons!

ZenArcade

That is a hard one to be dealing with Doc, sorry to hear, particularity for the wee ones. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

The Enigmatic Dr X

Yep. There's no good answer when a four year old asks:

"Why won't you play any more, daddy?
Lock up your spoons!

TordelBack

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 16 August, 2014, 09:01:21 PM
Sometimes, I loathe my job.

Yeah, that's a vile place to find yourself indeed.  When I reflect on the various self-inflicted disasters that are the past 5 years of my life, the ONLY part I don't regret is the time that I got to spend with my kids (and that only 'cos I couldn't afford to pay anyone else to do it!).  I may have resented the brake it put on my putting things back together, I may have been stressed to the gills through most of it and been little fun to be with, it may have meant there was/is no money for dentists or holidays or PS3s (or colleges and branded trainers in the future), but that time was one of the great boons of my life, and it stands in happy contrast to the 70-100 hour weeks that was my existence for the first 4 years of my eldest's life, whose company I was seldom in once he started sleeping through the night. 

However, as you know, there's some stuff you really, really need money for, but when you've earned it just make sure you don't throw it out the window like I did!  Worst of both worlds.

I'm presently squaring the circle with night shifts, which leaves me a tired'n'grouchy friendless fecker, but means I'm there for them for (most) of the day.  My youngest is starting school in a fortnight (the first few weeks of which she's seems to be in for about 30 seconds), and at least I should be around to pick her up, which I have been dreading missing.   

Don't envy you one bit, Dr. X, but let's compare notes again when it's pension time!

Old Tankie

Through running my own business, I missed a lot of my son's growing up and it is, by far, the biggest regret of my life.  Doesn't matter how much money you earn, it's not worth it.  Spend time with your kids, they'll fly away soon enough.

Banners

Working from home with a three month old baby, I have the opposite problem - I'm barely getting 4-5 hours of work done each day. I'm sitting here now keeping an eye on him whilst his Mum's asleep, which is beautiful and very lovely, but means my inbox is getting ever more full...!

Old Tankie

That's wonderful, Banners, the inbox can wait!!  It so happens that my lad's in the same position as you, spends half his working time in the studio attached to his house drawing, so he sees the little 'uns before he goes to work, at tea breaks, lunch breaks, etc., etc.  The other half of his working life is spent working in the games industry where the hours of work are ridiculous, but very well paid.  I know which one he prefers though.

Dandontdare

Because in the immortal words of Mr D Glover in Lethal Weapon I, II, III and IV - "I'm getting too old for this shit" - Just got back from a festival (Green Man in Wales - lovely) and whilst I had a great time, I just don't have the same stamina these days.

My companion sloped off to her bed around midnight each day but I always like getting trollied and wandering around observing the colourful sea of humanity and dancing the night away at the various late night bars and dance tents. All I could think of though was my aching feet and stiff back and it wasn't long before I was crashing out also.

Hangovers also seem to take about three times as long to disappear too.