Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spaceghost

If I went to the cinema and couldn't enjoy the film because someone was shouting, talking and laughing all the way through it, I'd demand a refund.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

M.I.K.

So, when exactly was it decided "mentally handicapped" was offensive, and does that mean charities like Mencap should change their name, (again)?

The Legendary Shark

It's political correctness gone cerebrally awry!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Steve Green

Quote from: M.I.K. on 19 June, 2015, 03:10:58 PM
So, when exactly was it decided "mentally handicapped" was offensive, and does that mean charities like Mencap should change their name, (again)?

They were talking about it 23 years ago.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/political-correctness-mencap-vows-to-keep-name-despite-row-1534423.html

COMMANDO FORCES

Here's a link to a piece the government have issued about the use of certain terminology when writing about disability INCLUSIVE LANGUAGE It's nice and short, so don't worry.

As for saying that segregation is the answer, just what country are we living in and what time period.

I'll end on one for Richmond, as he's the moderator who cooled everyone down. If you looked further back to who started the call for segregation, then you'll find that you called the wrong person out on it, as that person was disgusted by the implication, as we all should be!

The Legendary Shark

Nice link.
"Avoid phrases like 'suffers from' which suggest discomfort, constant pain and a sense of hopelessness." Hey, I think I may suffer from that; I think it's called life.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Grugz

thanks for that CF, wish I knew about that earlier.
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

Grugz

.............and moving on, after coming back from asda I realised my back/hips aren't as well as I thought .
now to decide the strong painkillers or the alcohol  not together as I discovered last time ;)
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

A.Cow

I'm man enough to admit when I get something wrong, and I clearly have in this case.

I'd tried to argue (maybe naively in a forum) that some involuntary behaviour falls outside permissible* limits in its context.

* Like it or not, public institutions such as schools or universities must carry out formal risk assessment on individuals who pose a serious threat of physical or sexual harm to others, whether due to mental health or extreme motor control issues.  In line with their legal responsibilities (including the DDA) they must sometimes exclude such individuals from services & facilities, for the protection of others.

However, my ill-considered use of the explosive word "segregation" has left me looking like a bigot in many people's eyes.  Please believe me when I say I'm not.  I detest social inequality and my disabled wife of 15 years will happily attest to my commitment to the cause.

Grugz

A.Cow

Cyberleader2000

well my latest plan crshed and burned epicley theres this shop in japan that claims if you request a item they will stock it even exclusives they have been great for ordering thros really rare or exclusives items so I requested some exclusives a week ago they got back to me finally this morning saying they could not get them now I'm looking at the prospect of getting riped off on ebay :(
Pleases Vist My Blog

can you name the anime

Banners

How exactly are you supposed to eat a fancy burger served with a thin wooden skewer through it?

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Definitely Not Mister Pops

You may quote me on that.