Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Quote from: pictsy on 16 November, 2020, 01:12:53 PM
If I were to make a top 10 list of the best films I've watched this year, The Endless would definitely make the list.

Same for me, if not the top 5.

Another recent Netflix diamond in the rough was Time Trap.
It has some superficial similarities to The Endless, but quite a different tone.

If you manage to get past the frankly annoying Goonies-lite start and subpar performances there are some genre treasures to be discovered in the third act.

pictsy

Quote from: Link Prime on 17 November, 2020, 02:54:14 PM
It has some superficial similarities to The Endless, but quite a different tone.

If you manage to get past the frankly annoying Goonies-lite start and subpar performances there are some genre treasures to be discovered in the third act.

I'll give it go.  Possibly on my next movie night.  :)

Link Prime

Quote from: pictsy on 17 November, 2020, 04:33:43 PM

90% chance you'll be pleasantly surprised!

The Enigmatic Dr X

The Gentlemen

Enjoyable tosh.
Lock up your spoons!

Rately

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 17 November, 2020, 04:52:44 PM
The Gentlemen

Enjoyable tosh.

Not a massive fan of Guy Ritchie movies, but this passed by and was decent enough, with Hugh Grant blowing everybody else off of the screen. With this and Paddington 2, i'm now quite happy to watch whatever High is currently popping up in, which is something I wouldn't have said a decade or so ago.

pictsy

Quote from: pictsy on 17 November, 2020, 04:33:43 PM
Quote from: Link Prime on 17 November, 2020, 02:54:14 PM

And so I did.  I can't add much to Link's description, it's pretty spot on.  I did end up enjoying it.  I found it really built up to a very satisfying conclusion [spoiler]although I'm sad we don't get to see them save the giant spaceman[/spoiler].

Even with the expectations I had of the film, I was pleasantly surprised.  Those genre treasures add a huge amount to the charm.  The characters were good as well, especially Brianne Howey's Jackie.

In conclusion, thanks for the recommendation. :)

Link Prime

Quote from: pictsy on 23 November, 2020, 09:10:45 AM

:thumbsup:

Something I was unable to confirm via a more than cursory internet search - was that guy playing the 'spaceman' Doug Jones?

pictsy

Quote from: Link Prime on 25 November, 2020, 10:07:22 AM

Something I was unable to confirm via a more than cursory internet search - was that guy playing the 'spaceman' Doug Jones?

From what I can find out, the role is credited to Sabin Smith who has only two other acting credits to his name. 

Link Prime

Quote from: pictsy on 25 November, 2020, 03:52:27 PM
Quote from: Link Prime on 25 November, 2020, 10:07:22 AM

From what I can find out, the role is credited to Sabin Smith who has only two other acting credits to his name.

Cheers Pictsy.

He's a shoo-in for the next Hellboy flick.

Dandontdare

repoman

Figured I'd get a Xmas movie in.  Black Christmas (2019).  Having not seen the previous two versions, I didn't know what to expect.  This was terrible though.  A horror movie marketed at a specific type of teenager and therefore a PG13 sanitised horror that was too long and then too rubbish.  The worst slasher film since Halloween (2018).

I hate having to call films by their year also.

pictsy

Quote from: repoman on 05 December, 2020, 01:59:35 PM
I hate having to call films by their year also.

Just wait for the 1984 remake/reboot/new adaptation.  ;)

pictsy

Arrival

This is pretty good.  A nice bit of high concept sci-fi that I believe got mostly praise from the linguistic community.  Maybe not the best film to watch when the world is falling to pieces, but if I was going to let that effect me I'd never see the damn film.  I think it is most engaging because of its presentation and premise.  One of those rare occurrences where a film can hold it's own without any remarkable action, characters or plot.  My biggest complaint with the film is it dragged at the end.  It had a clear end but carried on going well after the point was hammered home.

Link Prime

I watched We Summon the Darkness last night, on quaint old DVD.

A squarely average attempt at an 80's horror, holding it's head above water thanks to some ok music and Alexandra Daddario's mesmerizing eyes.
I liked that the obvious twist was a red herring, but the secondary and potentially more intriguing twist kinda fell apart when I thought about it for more than five seconds - probably one second longer that the screenwriter.
Not sorry I watched it, but won't be re-watching it again.

CalHab

Hotel Artemis. Somehow I'd missed this film on release, but happened across it on Prime. It's a near-future cyberpunk thriller set in a private hospital for criminals. Jodie Foster is excellent as a jaded and damaged medical professional (they call her the Nurse, but she's clearly some sort of trauma surgeon). Dave Bautista is an orderly who keeps the patients in line, Sofia Boutella is an assassin with some seriously impressive martial arts skills and Sterling Brown is the clichéd gangster-who-just-wants-get-out (he does a good job with the role, though). There are also some visitors, who I won't spoil.

I really enjoyed this. There's some great action sequences, particularly Boutella's, and the plot moves on at a rapid pace. There's not a lot of originality in terms of character, but the actors do a lot with them.

A good one to enjoy on a cold saturday night with a beer.