Main Menu

Sniper Elite 3

Started by James Stacey, 01 July, 2014, 02:07:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Stacey

I see that this has debuted at #1 in the charts. Good to see. I like it when Rebellion does good because its all security for 2000ad :)

http://spong.com/article/32012/UK-Video-Game-Charts-Guns-Beat-Fists

Keef Monkey

Very well deserved too, it's a really, really satisfying game. Started last night and it kept me from going to bed for a while because the levels were so big.

Can't stop giving it the old 'Xbox Record That!' every time a shot looks particularly cool (which is pretty much every time) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH0bNtSAgFA

JamesC

I've played a couple of levels and have enjoyed it but it doesn't feel the least bit 'next gen' to me.
That's not to say it's a bad game at all - it's very fun - but there are some funny things going on with AI etc.

Dr Feeley Good

I've done three levels up to now and I'm enjoying it,but I've noticed Rebellion's name is mud at the moment on a lot off pc games forums,something to do with them cancelling cd keys for the game that were bought through third parties

Keef Monkey

It's a real shame people are directing any rage at Rebellion for it, because it's very misguided. As far as I understand a batch of keys were stolen, then found their way to customers through those third party sellers (which begs the question where do these sellers get their keys from...). When Steam found out about the keys being stolen, they cancelled them and Rebellion offered the customers a free DLC pack to soften the blow.

People seem understandably miffed that they've bought something they thought was legit and then had it taken off them, but directing that at Rebellion seems crazy to me as they'll have had nothing to do with it (for a start I don't think they even publish and distribute the game - that was 505, who also wouldn't be to blame, and they didn't personally cancel anything - that was Steam, who also wouldn't be to blame).

It's not like if someone unwittingly bought a car that turned out to be stolen they'd get to keep it anyway. Also, you wouldn't start blaming Ford for it, your first port of call would be the third party who sold you the stolen goods.

Games are a funny old business, in that there's always a lot of anger flying around about various things, but it seems increasingly rare that any of it is pointed in the right direction!

Anyway, loving the game, hope it's just a hump on an otherwise great launch.

CheechFU

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 01 July, 2014, 04:01:40 PM
It's a real shame people are directing any rage at Rebellion for it, because it's very misguided. As far as I understand a batch of keys were stolen, then found their way to customers through those third party sellers (which begs the question where do these sellers get their keys from...). When Steam found out about the keys being stolen, they cancelled them and Rebellion offered the customers a free DLC pack to soften the blow.

Speaking of misguided: Apparently Rebellion are the new King, or at least their dick move lawyers think they are.
http://www.pcgamer.com/uk/2014/06/30/sins-of-a-solar-empire-studio-speaks-out-against-new-rebellion-legal-action/

As a consumer I can confidently state that I am in no way confused by one thing and a completely different thing, but that's just me.

Banners

I keep wanting to play SOSE on my PC, but when I go to click on the icon, I find myself getting in the car and driving all the way to an office complex in Oxford. This kind of thing needs to be stopped!

James Stacey

Quote from: CheechFU on 02 July, 2014, 12:34:49 AM
Quote from: Keef Monkey on 01 July, 2014, 04:01:40 PM

Speaking of misguided: Apparently Rebellion are the new King, or at least their dick move lawyers think they are.
http://www.pcgamer.com/uk/2014/06/30/sins-of-a-solar-empire-studio-speaks-out-against-new-rebellion-legal-action/

As a consumer I can confidently state that I am in no way confused by one thing and a completely different thing, but that's just me.
That's not what it's about though is it. Unfortunately you have to attempt to protect your trademark/copyright or you loose it. I doubt Rebellion want to sue over naming, they are obliged too.

Pete Wells

Interesting interview here with Jason Kingsley where he mentions the possibility of an open world Dredd or Rogue game. Yes please!

http://www.play.tm/news/197319008/rebellion-open-worlds-could-be-the-future-for-all-of-our-ips/

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Pete Wells on 04 July, 2014, 02:43:54 PM
Interesting interview here with Jason Kingsley where he mentions the possibility of an open world Dredd or Rogue game. Yes please!

http://www.play.tm/news/197319008/rebellion-open-worlds-could-be-the-future-for-all-of-our-ips/

Indeed! Part of me thinks a smaller independent studio doing a huge open world game would be a big ask, but lately I've been thinking how cool a Dredd game on the scale of something like Arkham Asylum/City could be - not a huge map or a full city but a chunk of one to ride around with procedural events/crimes to intervene, leads to investigate and separate instanced areas or interiors where the real 'levels' happen (such as when you enter buildings in Arkham City). Pipe dreams I know, but seems the best approach to the character and seems more workable and feasible than a huge sprawling Mega City sandbox game.

I would go nuts for a new Rogue Trooper game too, the levels in Sniper Elite 3 are really surprisingly big and free, and that sort of approach with a Rogue Trooper game could be amazing. Of those two properties I feel like Rogue is the one they've set up the strongest foundation with, a sequel to that would really float my boat.

As far as SE3, 4 levels in now and it's still so satisfying. It's one of those games where my first playthrough is really feeling like a trial run if that makes any sense. I'm enjoying it but am totally aware that on a second run once I've got my tactics down and can take off the assists and can get through the levels making less mistakes it'll be almost like a different game. Replayability will be very strong with this.

Pete Wells

Just completed this and really enjoyed it.

A couple of annoying things though, namely enemies getting stuck in walls, completed objectives not registering but for me, the worst is the poor sound design - enemies were desperately shouting and it sounded like they were right next to me, only to be frigging miles away. On such a gloriously tense game that relies so heavily on situational awareness, I'd have expected this to be a bit more polished.

Still, it's a joyous game and I'd recommend it, despite a couple of flaws which I'm sure will be addressed. Right, now to get back to it to Hoover up those achievements...

ThryllSeekyr

I don't normally play these type of games, but it was reviewed here