Main Menu

a careers / despair thread

Started by Queen Firey-Bou, 08 December, 2004, 11:38:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bico

Hmmm.  Not much to add to this thread, just wanted to point out that I'm in pretty much the same boat as Vic.  Our technical colleges are steadily being downsized and their facilities relocated to 'more central' areas - ie, where the property values are lower so the councils can sell off the expensive land to housing developers or some up-and-coming c*nt who won't even be paying the cost of redevoloping the property into a sausage/socks/cabinet factory as the council and lottery people will be only too happy to pick up the tab.  Again.  While dicks like myself can't even get the cash together to start an office for managing local bands and finding them some practice space and studio time.  Investing in people my arse.
Anyway, relocate the local techs somewhere cheap.  why is it cheap?  Because you CAN'T GET THERE.  Shite roads (the techs are in the middle of nowhere, in tiny towns with small populations.  Why?) and no buses.
GGGggggggGGgg!!

Richmond Clements

Investing in people my arse.

Heh. Tell me about it.
A good friend of mine was, a while ago, trying to get a company up and running, but because he was supplying a computer programme for use in the telephone sex industry, and despite the fact it would make money hand over fist, the IDB rejected it, because of its 'moral' issues...

Queen Firey-Bou

OU scotland doesnt do any PGCE teaching courses.
OU england doesnt do the ART one.

the wonderful Open University of the highlands & Islands, which is a truely modern phenomena spread over highland wide teaching centres & over the internet etc.. does a nice line in fish farming for gaelic speakers courses.  oh and of course teh wonderful magical IT courses, where would we be without everyone & their uncle training everyone else how to type in word, fantastic.

rac, cheers for asking, i'm feeling better, the choice is this, accept my parameters & learn to enjoy life within them, or move.   so ive booked our first package holiday ever !!!    i'm taking the girls abroad !! Woo Hooo Woo Hoo !  and i'm gonna read books, n paint scenery & breathe deeply ...yeahhhhh  2nd january yipeeeedo !  

Bico

'hand over fist'

Heh.  Unfortunate turn of phrase for making a point about the sex industry, there.

Of course, if I was a cynical man, I'd be asking why all this money keeps going to the same people.  People who've never worked a f*cking day in their lives, yet seem to be driving flash cars and who weren't exactly strapped for cash in the first place.  *If* I was a cynical man.
Who didn't like his kneecaps.

Richmond Clements

'hand over fist'

Heh. Unfortunate turn of phrase for making a point about the sex industry, there.

I wish I could say that was deliberate!

As for the rest of your points Prof... I know what you mean, it's amazing that a guy can, for example, clean windows a couple of days a week, yet live in a huge house and drive a new BMW. (I fear we may be loosing the boarders not on this island here...)

Bou: don't accept your limitations, that's the kind of thing Prince Charles would tell you. It'll come right in the end. Trust me.

Dounreay

Bou,

Caught between your ambitions, your commitments and love of where you are. A tough place to be, for sure.

I hesitate to give advice but I think you're right to bide your time until your juvies finish school. But think of it as time to set your plans for the future.

Have a serious think about moving away for a time to get the qualification you need. If you don't you might end up regretting it for a long time. If it doesn't work out you know you can move back to a community where you are known and welcomed. Talk it over with your bairns too, see what they really think.

I'm no expert but I'm sure Inverness and  Thurso run arts courses, not to degree level, but what about to HND level as a stepping stone to bigger things? There must be others, (Perth?)not so far from home. (Not sure if it's an art qualification or teaching qualification or both that you need).

Ach, you've probably thought about all this already but I'll throw it in anyway.

Queen Firey-Bou

nahhhh, fighting the limitations of money, job, housing, etc etc, has drained me and in effect very much Limited me , myself , i ...whats that cliche. accpt what you cannot change but change what you can..or something ?

thing is, if i was in a good mood ( eh ? ) & described my life, it could sound idyllicly bliss & people sell up their lifes & move north trying to achieve this dream... or if i'm in a bad mood , it sounds like the worst most miserable plot from the worst ill thought out soap drama going... its all a matter of perspective,  tho' i'm not sure how i could put a positive spin on the more violent aspects of the last year.

the grass may be greener, one mans poison, no castle is an island and an scotsmans home is his prison.

Something Fishy

I relate to that thoroughly Bou.  

I could tell you a tale of the past few years that would make you wonder why i've not given up on this world.  Things is, that would be to totally ignore the many great things that have happened and the wonderful people i have around me that have made this life a joy allbeit one tinged with much sadness.

Queen Firey-Bou

hi dounraey, i missed your post last time.

aye, you know the crack in these wee communities, they drive me nuts, but theres something special about knowing the history of every nook n cranny n granny, having an anecdote for every square foot of a place, a memory.

the teaching plan was to provide an enjoyable wage until wee juvey grew up. once theyve all grown up the worlds my oyster, provided my knees are still intact. i'll review once juve-2 is safe at college, next year hopefully.

( ive got the Art qualifs )

Bico

'I fear we may be loosing the boarders not on this island here...'

I think what RAC is trying to say is that any drug-dealing, money-laundering, dole-swindling, gun-running IRA/UVF gangsters who take issue with him calling them all a bunch of pansies can do so by calling round his house.
If they think they're hard enough.

Puffs.

Richmond Clements

Max Kon

bou: if i ever get rich (not likely) i'll clear your debts.