Main Menu

Bags and Boards for me old Progs. Recommendations?

Started by johnnyivan, 15 September, 2012, 01:19:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnyivan

Hi Folks,
I'm looking for some more Bags and Boards for me old Progs. Any recommendations? - online sources?

I've used the 'Collectorline' ones from Dublin's branch of Forbidden Planet, but they seem to be in and out of stock.

Also, are the anti-acid calcium-backed boards any use?

Ta,
John
John I. White
-------------
Creator of 'Star Wars age 9': The Unintentionally Comic Adaptation www.starwarsage9.com & www.alienage11.com

Mattofthespurs

Used to use Comic John on eBay.
Items are fine but the postage is a bastard. Boards, per 100 are £7.99 but postage is £7.99 too.
Get mine from a comic shop now for a tenner for 100 boards and £8 for 100 bags.
I've managed to bag and board all the specials and about 200 progs (starting from Prog 1).
So just about another 1900 to go including megazines.
This is going to be very expensive.

The Adventurer

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 15 September, 2012, 02:07:43 PMThis is going to be very expensive.

I double bag back to back (my modern post-2004 Progs anyway) to cut my bag and board count down by half. I don't see why the same wouldn't work just as well for early progs.

Since if you're rereading them you're going to be going through them at a rapid pace, it not only saves on space and materials. But time too.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Mattofthespurs

A very good point and makes perfect sense...Except it's just... Wrong  ;) :lol:

johnnyivan

Thanks folks.
I've been reading about different storage methods.

Years ago I thought it was supposed to be a bad idea to store old papers in plastic. Brown paper was recommended. But then, brown paper is poor quality and full of acid isn't it?

So then I discover comic bags and boards. Pretty much the standard approach the world over. Hopefully acid free storage. You know, archive quality.

But the bags I have are just polythene - not mylar or anything. And then I see you can get calcium-backed boards to absorb acids from the the comics' crappy, pulpy paper.

Fair enough. Then what? Yesterday I read about people storing fragile comics in open sleeves - to let the acids out!

Thoughts?
John
John I. White
-------------
Creator of 'Star Wars age 9': The Unintentionally Comic Adaptation www.starwarsage9.com & www.alienage11.com

Mattofthespurs

I always make sure most of the air is out of the bag when I seal it.
I also use calcium backed boards and mylar bags but I'm sure they are just charging me a premium for a simple piece of cardboard and a plastic bag.
Other than that they are all in acid free 2000 AD standard size boxes and packed reasonably tight so they don't slip.

johnnyivan

Hi,
Mylar sleeves eh? I just bought the ones Forbidden Planet handed me in the shop. At the time I just assumed that the bags were archive quality - maybe even mylar, but I suppose in retrospect I should have known, considering that they only cost 5 euro for 100.

The old progs are in pretty bad shape, I can really see them disentegrating in another couple of decades. I'd almost be tempted to say: "screw the monetary investment value, I'll just reinforce their spines and repair any bad tears with chinese paper and archival gum." At least they might be still readable when I leave them to my son.

I must do some more research on this stuff. The funny thing is, I have hundreds of drawings I did as a kid that are 30-40 years old that were done on really crappy paper and they're still in great condition all things considered. They were stored really carelessly too. The worst damage was done by the dreaded silverfish!
John
John I. White
-------------