Main Menu

Life Spugs because...

Started by Dog Deever, 04 March, 2009, 08:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Wolf

....i have missed last weeks prog.I cycled into town to Borders expecting to find them open until 8 and the f****** closed at 7.00.Why cant they just open and close at the same time every day ?? .Bloody annoying but there might still be a copy in Daves comic shop......
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

SuperSurfer

... due to my recent move my 2k collection is a mess. Lots of issues missing and I need to plug quite a few gaps. In fact, I haven't read any progs for many weeks as I want a complete run of progs before I do so. But looking forward to getting stuck into them. First of all I need to buy some bookcases, sort out all my books and magazines and find out exactly which progs are missing.

MarcusQQ

I have to work tonight :( yay :-[

Kerrin

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 14 July, 2009, 08:15:40 PM
... due to my recent move my 2k collection is a mess. Lots of issues missing and I need to plug quite a few gaps.
Let me know when you've sorted out what you need SS, I rescued a load of progs from a mates attic when he moved a while back, I'm gonna keep the early ones till I can work out what I've already got but there's a load from 400-700ish.

SuperSurfer

Thanks Kerrin. It's very recent progs I am missing. I did see a whole load at Mega City Comics but as I am familiar with the covers through this site, 2000ad review and Barney, I wasn't sure which I am missing. Since then I have a list but need to unpack fully to be sure.

TordelBack

...Ireland's only Borders is closing.  Spent many happy Sundays there browsing, colouring-in and snacking with the Boy after an early monring swim.  I suppose the fact that we sometimes treated it like a library makes me complicit, but I must have spent my share on GNs at the same time... 

Old Tankie

Hi, TordelBack
I know I'm going "off Topic" here but we may be having a family holiday in Ireland soon.  Is County Donegal worth visiting?  It's an area of Ireland that I don't know at all.  Would appreciate any input you may have.
Cheers
Tankie
P.S.  A few miles to the east I know very well but I don't think we'll be going there this time!!

Richmond Clements

QuoteIs County Donegal worth visiting?

Donegal is quite possibly the most beautiful place on Earth.

TordelBack

QuoteDonegal is quite possibly the most beautiful place on Earth.

I concur with m'learned friend.  It's a top spot, even if some of the people are as odd as two left feet...   ;) Practically anywhere in Donegal is worth a look (including Donegal town itself), but I'll put my personal vote in for Glencolumbcille (SW).   Depending on which bit you're going to, or how you're thinking of getting there, there's a pile of great stuff to see on the way (Bushmills, for example).

Also, always fun being north of the North while still in the South.  Much like being up in Down.

Old Tankie

Thanks for the info, guys.  We'll definitely check the area out, sounds wonderful.  Did the Ring of Kerry a couple of years ago and that was beautiful, so if it matches up to that, I'll be well impressed.

johnnystress

Quote from: TordelBack on 15 July, 2009, 11:21:19 AM
QuoteDonegal is quite possibly the most beautiful place on Earth.

I concur with m'learned friend.  It's a top spot, even if some of the people are as odd as two left feet...   ;)

Heeey!I'm from Donegal....and..well,.... no your're right

don't mind me

If you're in the north west check out Errigal and The Poison Glen. Weather permitting take a trip out to Tory Island, land of Balor of the Evil Eye

Van Dom

Quote from: TordelBack on 15 July, 2009, 09:14:23 AM
...Ireland's only Borders is closing.  Spent many happy Sundays there browsing, colouring-in and snacking with the Boy after an early monring swim.  I suppose the fact that we sometimes treated it like a library makes me complicit, but I must have spent my share on GNs at the same time... 

The Blanchardstown one...... ?!? I didn't know it was the only one. Nooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!
I love that place!!!!
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

Peter Wolf

Quote from: Van Dom on 15 July, 2009, 01:04:18 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 15 July, 2009, 09:14:23 AM

The Blanchardstown one...... ?!? I didn't know it was the only one. Nooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!
I love that place!!!!

My local Borders which was like a gift from the gods when it first opened because *everything* was good about it what with the best possible selection of music plus rows of headphones for listening to new music on plus the best ever selection of esoteric books among other things.

This is no longer true because the cafe that was a good meeting place has now been turned over to a franchise coffee shop , the newspaper/magazine section has been moved downstairs away from the cafe,the music listening section has gone,the selection of books is no longer as good with some sections having a disproportionatly large selection of books to the detriment of others,a large amount of bookspace has been turned over to /DVDs,the layout doesnt seem to have any logic behind it,the area at the back of the shop is an open space that is wasted with no books or music - not sure what its for exactly, and last of all the seating inside the shop has now gone.There were benches inbetween each booksection plus the black leather armchairs that for someone reason were always occupied by small Japanese girls and sofas have all gone now.

So if borders closed now i wouldnt care that much really.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

TordelBack

Van Dom, the Blanch one indeed.  I dropped in today, and they have a 50% sale on everything and a two hour queue.  I've never seen anything like it.  Picked up a few Casefiles (and a crateload of science, history and kids books), but there weren't many left.  Still worth a look though , if you can spare the time.  Bloody sad experience mind, that was a cracking shop and the only real reason to visit that hellhole of a shopping centre.  Their Starbucks may have had the worst service of any cafe anywhere, but it was a cafe in a bookshop with a massive GN section, and there's precious few of that divine combination left.

Van Dom

Thats what Iloved about it, a fantastic graphic novel section, loads of manga, Marvel, 2000ad stuff....
I live in Kildare so don't get up there very much, maybe once a month or so, but I always enjoyed taking an hour or two out with a few graphic novels up in the Starbucks.
Thats well bummed me out that has!
And yes....not much else about the Blanchardstown centre is very appealing.
Ahhhhh sugar! Very bad news!

(But Im glad you posted it or I would have gone up there in a couple of weeks only to find the store gone. That would really suck!)
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!