Main Menu

Prog 2319: Kill Code

Started by norton canes, 14 February, 2023, 11:00:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

norton canes

Apologies of it's bad form to start a prog thread before receiving the prog but I've just seen the cover and had to share the love

Dear TMO, please commission the Coleby & Boswell droids to provide Star-Scans of Hammerstein, Deadlock, Blackblood, Mongrol and whichever further two current or erstwhile members of the Mek-nificent seven they wish 

Richard

I second the call for star-scans, although I would prefer to see Clint Langley do them.

I have read this prog, which arrived on Saturday. Judge Dredd finishes well. The Order is an action-packed episode and is my favourite story this week. Tin Man has a flashback to human officers abusing their robot subordinates in the earliest years of the Hammerstein units, and ends on a cliffhanger. I gave up reading The Order a couple of series ago, sorry. Proteus Vex is fun but I don't think I can review it properly without spoiling it.

There is also a letters page with my own letter in it. The letters thread has been strangely quiet for a while -- come back Buttonman, all* is forgiven!

* Well, most anyway. Within reason.

broodblik

A good prog

Dredd – This was a more straight-forward Dredd story find the fugitive, fight the fugitive and finally capture the fugitive.  This closes down the threads of the Red Queen and open new ones.

The Out – Cyd the great escape as things get heated and Cyd uses everything at her disposal to get away and even troughs in the kitchen-sink (for our brave readers a Fiat) for good measures. A great read as always.

Joe Pineapples – What do you see? A pretty butterfly (no man that was The Out)

The Order – The battle for survival continues has the crew fights not only for Le Victoire but also for the mortal body (soul) of Franklin. Absorbing stuff

Proteus Vex – The intrigue continues as the story focus on Tsellest and then back to Midnight. Some interesting occurrences as Midnight as usual steal the show. Great story, great art just top-notch.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Link Prime

Nice cover by Coleby, who's been drawing impressive over-sized ordnance since The Saharan Ice-Belt War.
Colours a bit of a letdown IMO.

73north

loving the Pat Mills story ( please come back Mr Mills ! ) my favourite story in the Prog
with Joe Pineapples , The Out is great , Proteus Vex is superb
I enjoyed the Dredd Hag story , but nice to hear that someone else feels the same way -
 I gave up reading The Order a couple of series ago, sorry.
totally agree !

same here

nxylas

Quote from: 73north on 15 February, 2023, 08:04:08 PMI gave up reading The Order a couple of series ago, sorry.
It's hard not to love a strip that features the caption "Meanwhile, in Ben Franklin's duodenum", though.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

Richard

Ok, I promise to read that bit.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

Barrington Boots

Another enjoyable Prog for me too.

Dredd – Wrapped up a little quicker than I would have liked, but a very enjoyable Dredd tale. I suspect we've not seen the last of some characters here.

The Out – Pretty action heavy episode this week and not all that easy to follow in places. Still totally great.

Joe Pineapples – It's far from amazing but it's nowhere near as bad as the opening few episodes and if it's the last ABC we get, it's a lot better than the last actual ABC Warriors we got. I'm enjoying it for what it is. That full page shot of Joe and Sue is really Bisley-ish.

The Order – There's a real retro feel to this I think and it's an easy, enjoyable read. Agree that the line "Meanwhile, in Ben Franklin's duodenum" is fantastic.

Proteus Vex – Best thing in the Prog (again).
You're a dark horse, Boots.

norton canes

Two strips get it spot on this week, and they bookend the prog. 'The Hagger They Fall' takes a delicious twist with a salutary lesson in running a VPN on your teleport system. Final panel of page four is right up there with 'Gaze into the fist of Dredd!' as one of the greatest ever. I see Chief Judge Logan has a new hairstyle. Be careful, you know what happened last time the Chief Judge got a new 'do...

Hang on. One for the 'Things that went over your head' thread. She's a Keeper. Literally.

At the other end of the mighty organ Proteus Vex is tearing it up again. Always a good sign when a strip can deliver a killer episode without even featuring its title character. I'm trying to work out how Citheronians actually perambulate - by undulation? Or do they have little feet hidden under their bodies?

In between, everything seems maybe a little off-colour. The Out is just a tad too frivolous. Joe Pineapples is deep, but a bit unengaging. The Order just seems a bit... stretched. Lovely large panel on the fourth page though.

Oh FFS there's a letters page. Drawback of digital progs - keep forgetting to scroll to the end!

broodblik

Quote from: norton canes on 16 February, 2023, 10:39:29 AMI'm trying to work out how Citheronians actually perambulate - by undulation? Or do they have little feet hidden under their bodies?

I believe they move like snails. Now I will not be able to sleep until I know the answer and hopefully Mike will come to our rescue

Jake Lynch

Quote from: broodblik on 16 February, 2023, 10:55:15 AM
Quote from: norton canes on 16 February, 2023, 10:39:29 AMI'm trying to work out how Citheronians actually perambulate - by undulation? Or do they have little feet hidden under their bodies?

I believe they move like snails. Now I will not be able to sleep until I know the answer and hopefully Mike will come to our rescue

Like Mike would know...
@ArtDroid_Lynch

norton canes

Mike Carroll

Quote from: broodblik on 16 February, 2023, 10:55:15 AM

The Citheronians perambulate via a complex combination of hidden wires, subtle grease, and, of course, invisible jetpacks.