Main Menu

Prog 2320 - Birthday Blitz

Started by Colin YNWA, 20 February, 2023, 08:40:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pauljholden

Quote from: Jacqusie on 22 February, 2023, 08:29:06 PMIt was a bit clunky for sure. I'm really scratching my head as to why 4 judges would kick down the door, fire all their guns at once (at what?) whilst telling the perps to put down their weapons or face erm, the Judges opening fire on their perhaps now injured or already deceased arses...

Because time in comics doesn't work the way it works in video or real life. Did they shout before they shoot? did they shout while they kicked the doors then fire as the doors hit the ground, did they shoot then shout the command? did they do them at exactly the same time?

All possible, but ultimately, sometimes, esp in a thing like this - does it look damn cool? and yes. Yes it does.

I do think we hamstring ourselves a bit as artists when we think "oh comic time means we're only allowed to do one action per frame" comics time can be a lot weirder than that if we let it...

(it's the equivalent of the freeze frame moment at the end of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance kid, that shot is there to tell you what happens next is up to you...)

jrdd

Quote from: pauljholden on 26 February, 2023, 06:13:38 PMI do think we hamstring ourselves a bit as artists when we think "oh comic time means we're only allowed to do one action per frame" comics time can be a lot weirder than that if we let it...

This seems like a good opportunity to post this comic by Tom Gauld, which I thought rather cleverly shows the impact framing and lettering can have on timing:

Enjoying the prog too, and the way this week's Dredd is written reminded me (in a good way) of how some of the earlier Sinister Dexter stories were told (the Bullet Time one springs to mind).

norton canes

Quote from: The Corinthian on 26 February, 2023, 05:08:35 PM
Quote from: norton canes on 24 February, 2023, 01:03:15 PMHave we been told at any point why Midnight Indicating Shame is so damn kick-ass not even her own people can stand up to her?

She has the potential to be a queen - and the Hive Regalis queen we've already seen looks quite formidable. And we've already see how go very effectively on the rampage against her own people before, at the end of 'Desire Paths'.

Missed this! Thanks