Main Menu

Prog 2338: The Great Nort Run

Started by IndigoPrime, 26 June, 2023, 04:48:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Lovely to see Colin Wilson back on Rogue, with his cover.

Dredd then gets a bit twisty-turny, in a. good way, before Void Runners also has its own twist. It's certainly barrelling along.

Durham Red ends with its own twist. (There's a theme this week.) It's a very good ending to a series that I've felt has neatly repositioned the character, and I hope to see more. The final frame suggests a slightly new dynamic for what comes next.

Next up, Azimuth continues to dazzle and bewilder in roughly equal measure. I'm not fully sure what's going on here, but look forward to finding out. And the Rogue Trooper hits the penultimate part in his adventure, with an episode of death, timey-wimey weirdness, and some fairly extreme swearing. While I was OK with the odd shit, I'm honestly not thrilled about Rogue screaming "I'll make every one of your whore mothers weep!" I mean, really? I know it's a war comic, but... really? That just felt nasty from a writing standpoint, rather than an in-context character moment.

Anyway, that aside, I have enjoyed this run. Overall, nothing bad this week, but Red and Azimuth are ahead of the pack for me.

Red > Azimuth > Rogue > Dredd > Void Runners

Colin YNWA

What a smacking Prog. As least as good as last week.

Jake Lynch's art on Dredd is stella and the episode is fine indeed.

Void Runners, well that was always on the cards and after another idea packed episode we get a fairly standard villianous play. Though its dressing makes it all the more delicious. Oh and the line.

"Public shedding of garments"
"Disgraceful... but intriguing"

Durham Red has an entirely satisfying ending and the sooner we get more nuRed the better. Fantastic stuff.

All of that good stuff however pales compared to Azimuth. SO much packed in. Not just in terms of ideas and the art (love a good spot the character thing. I reckon there's loads more but I got Zardoz chappies, Morpheus and is that thingie with the lance from Solo?) but action and development. Just jam packed goodness. LOVE IT.

The question is though as good as it is is it as good as Rogue Trooper? Rogue is astonishing as its heartbreaking and packs such a punch. Just amazing comics.

Oh a pitch perfect art throughout. Tharg's comments in the Nerve Centre are entirely appropriate. We've had some VERY good progs of the last 15-20 years. There can't be many as good as this one!

Richard

Funt Solo

Quote from: Richard on 26 June, 2023, 11:14:02 PMIs "whore" swearing?

Yes.

This is how I know: when I was in primary school we'd been asked to find out things about Henry VIII. I asked my older sister, who told me "all his wives were whores". Then, the next day, in class, when the teacher (a complete dick with a short temper) asked if anyone had found out anything about Henry VIII - well, you can guess what I (ignorant of the actual meaning) said. The look on his face, the sudden silence in the room told me very definitively that the word whore is a swear. No doubt about it.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Batman's Superior Cousin

According to Google and this site, yes it is a swear word.
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Richard

Quote from: Funt Solo [Rlink=msg=1102687 date=1687818420]

Yes.

Well that just makes me want to say it more often!

IndigoPrime

I mean, aside from that it's a misogynistic and dehumanising statement. I get it. It's a war strip. In context, etc etc. But would it really have made the strip worse had it been all the worse had the sentence been swapped out for something else? It's pretty rare I have 'ick' vibes from 2000 AD, but this is one of those times.

Funt Solo

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 26 June, 2023, 04:48:00 PM"I'll make every one of your whore mothers weep!"

Swearing jar aside - I would say the key problem with the line is that it doesn't scan well.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

I was never sure, having seen it everywhere from the Simpsons to Wonder Woman comics.

It's not exactly new to the prog - Nikolai Dante had an army of them, as stated in the title of the story arc - but I do agree that it's very jarring heating Rogue  say 'I'll make every one of your whore-mothers wwep'. He's a sci fi future supersoldier, not a Cimmerian barbarian.  That said, brilliant episode, and I'm sad it's coming to an end.

That's all I've read so far, but Rogue so far has been the prog highlight for me since it started.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Bad City Blue

Quote from: Funt Solo [R] on 27 June, 2023, 07:33:38 PM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 26 June, 2023, 04:48:00 PM"I'll make every one of your whore mothers weep!"

Swearing jar aside - I would say the key problem with the line is that it doesn't scan well.

Yes, that hits the nail on the head. I don't care about the language but it REALLY felt wrong when reading it. I get that Rogue was baiting than to lead them after him, but it feels out of place.

Anyway...

DREDD was very talky, but nothing compared to Azimuth. It seems (obvs I may be wrong) that the whole thing may be set within a virtual universe, which would explain the multiple references to real world stuff that's been slightly corrupted and the snow zone.

Void Runners has been a surprising joy, with brilliant use of Boo Cooks demented imagination. It was quite obvious the asshats were not going to let all that lovely Dust remain after just taking a little, but it's still enormous fun.

Durham Red has been reimagined very well and the strip was excellent. More please.

ROGUE is still the highlight. No one does war like Ennis and Paddy's art is perfect for it.
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

JohnW

Quote from: Bad City Blue on 28 June, 2023, 12:01:27 PM...Paddy's art is perfect for it.
Everyone's art seems perfect this week.
Lynch and Teague on Dredd, Bettin and Soffe on Azimuth, everyone else on everything else. This is just one good-looking prog.
What Tharg says in the Nerve Centre about no one being beholden to a house style is right on the money.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

norton canes

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 26 June, 2023, 07:28:45 PMTharg's comments in the Nerve Centre are entirely appropriate. We've had some VERY good progs of the last 15-20 years. There can't be many as good as this one!

Agreed. Thrill-levels are redlining throughout, there's no weak link. Just a shame that with the end of Durham Red, this line-up only lasts one week.

Never mind about the use of 'whore', the first thing I did after reading Rogue was Google 'twat etymology'. Didn't think it was around in the WWI era but apparently it's of mid C17th origin (I'm sure the Ennis droid's etymological circuits are well-maintained).

What's so great is that beyond being just brilliant, the strips this week give us plenty to chew on. The Carroll droid brings his comprehensive world-building style from Proteus Vex to 'ITEOMUD'. Durham Red leaves us wondering just what drives our bestial protagonist. Azimuth is so rich, you can just pore over every frame; and Rogue, of course, is an emotionally exhausting treatise on universal warfare. Only Void Runners is a bit more frothy - but with lovely lines like "We can be there in twenty kardiabeats", who cares?

All this plus a new Colin Wilson cover? +++ THRILL POWER OVERLOAD +++

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: norton canes on 28 June, 2023, 12:27:54 PM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 26 June, 2023, 07:28:45 PMNever mind about the use of 'whore', the first thing I did after reading Rogue was Google 'twat etymology'. Didn't think it was around in the WWI era but apparently it's of mid C17th origin (I'm sure the Ennis droid's etymological circuits are well-maintained).

http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/001812.html
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

nxylas

I think I spotted one of the QR codes Dabnett mentioned, on page 1 of Azimith. Trouble is, it was split in half vertically and used as a panel border, so I have no idea how my phone is supposed to read it.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!