Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darnmarr

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 15 February, 2012, 09:18:33 PM

Cinema can do certian things better and more powerfully than comics -and vice-versa- exploiting these certain things/techniques comics can't do and using them to tell the stories in a new way when adapting these kinds of stories can make them equally as powerful. Imagination, faitfulness to the spirit of the source and the will to do so is the key to doing it. This can compliment and give a different but equally profound perspective on the the original story. Not repeating the same mistakes films such as Watchmen make.

Watchmen, with it's crossover to pirate comics and its complimentary reading material ( autobiog excerpts, psychiatric reports, interveiws e.t.c.) is a clear case of strong-on-paper but emasculated on film. Imagination and understanding are indeed magical properties but sometimes things are so bound in their original medium that even with the best will in the world they cannot translate.

Seriously: America? Really? How would you do it?

Teivion

Ok I am very pro Death, and I agree with Andersons Shame. If death is a one dimensional character, then that's the very reason he would work on screen. He doesn't need an elaborate intro, backstory etc, he is an instant character the audience can pick up on. Introducing Fear,fire and Mortis would be a great piece of story telling, much like the cenobites in hellraiser. You can fx him up to the eyeballs or make him as traditional as Jason V.
I can't agree with comics not working in film. It's up to the story teller to make the audience suspend their disbelief, and absorb the story, whether in a written , artistic or moving media.
Pj maybe doesn't do that much for me, he's a bit like moriarty, a bond baddy, one of many villains.
Death is as unique a character as Dredd's world can offer, esp for a 90 min film, and offers far more 'entertainment' 'action' 'horror/gore''humour' etc etc as any plot I can think of that would appeal to a mass audience. The fact we are still talking of him 21 years later is proof of this.
I agree mc1 is a great ace in the pack for dredd but again , a post nuclear city isn't, now, a great sell .
I know I am prob in the minority here but this I'd my take on Death .

JOE SOAP

Quote from: radiator on 15 February, 2012, 09:48:19 PM
QuoteThe point I believe is Dredd isn't Batman so really there's no need for him to have an arch-nemesis like the Joker.

And I agree, but that's how the majority of people see it - I've been following the Dredd film story on many different websites and the most common comment people make (other than "He better not take the helmet off") is "Will Judge Death be in it?".

That majority of people wouldn't be that huge and really they're a majority of what exactly?, if they even are one. I don't think Dredd is particularly aimed at them in particular, they ain't a huge part of the cinematic pie.

but he has a backstory mystery that's hinted at...then again I've only watched the film once -TDK- as I find it quite an empty faux-academic exercise that doesn't gel.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 15 February, 2012, 10:11:53 PM
Quote from: radiator on 15 February, 2012, 09:48:19 PM
QuoteThe point I believe is Dredd isn't Batman so really there's no need for him to have an arch-nemesis like the Joker.

And I agree, but that's how the majority of people see it - I've been following the Dredd film story on many different websites and the most common comment people make (other than "He better not take the helmet off") is "Will Judge Death be in it?".

That majority of people wouldn't be that huge and really they're a majority of what exactly?, if they even are one. I don't think Dredd is particularly aimed at them in particular, they ain't a huge part of the cinematic pie.

Edit to above post:

QuoteWhile I agree he isn't the most interesting character (and I hate to bring up Nolan yet again), but you could argue that there's nothing particularly interesting about the Joker. He doesn't have a backstory, doesn't have an arc - all he is is an agent of chaos, and that approach worked superbly in The Dark Knight.

but he has a backstory mystery that's hinted at...then again I've only watched the film once -TDK- as I find it quite an empty faux-academic exercise that doesn't gel.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Teivion on 15 February, 2012, 10:07:22 PM
Ok I am very pro Death, and I agree with Andersons Shame. If death is a one dimensional character, then that's the very reason he would work on screen. He doesn't need an elaborate intro, backstory etc, he is an instant character the audience can pick up on. Introducing Fear,fire and Mortis would be a great piece of story telling, much like the cenobites in hellraiser. You can fx him up to the eyeballs or make him as traditional as Jason V.
I can't agree with comics not working in film. It's up to the story teller to make the audience suspend their disbelief, and absorb the story, whether in a written , artistic or moving media.
Pj maybe doesn't do that much for me, he's a bit like moriarty, a bond baddy, one of many villains.
Death is as unique a character as Dredd's world can offer, esp for a 90 min film, and offers far more 'entertainment' 'action' 'horror/gore''humour' etc etc as any plot I can think of that would appeal to a mass audience. The fact we are still talking of him 21 years later is proof of this.
I agree mc1 is a great ace in the pack for dredd but again , a post nuclear city isn't, now, a great sell .
I know I am prob in the minority here but this I'd my take on Death .

My point is that while a Judge Death film would be fun, why not spend these quite large sums of money on Dredd's stronger stories and characters. We're only going to get a limited number of Dredd films if the new one even manages to be a success, not seven or eight installments like Harry Potter.

CYCLOPZ

I hate to be the one constantly defending this point because in reality judge death to me would not be the best way to go in any sequels. But if it had to be done I can see how it could be done right. That would be not to do a literal interpretation of the comic but to make the concept of dark judges work within the parameters of this established reality.Adding an psychic death cult aspect would not be a huge leap considering Anderson is already in the film.

In short as a lot of us are getting at anyway is the story could be streamlined in some ways and made to incorporate elements from other stories. But as a student of film I would never out right say that some things could not work, or are too much for the general audience to take.

If a story is believable within the parameters that the film maker sets then anything is possible. The dark judge idea would need a lot of thought but there are ways that it could work and even be more interesting than some think it might be.

Gonk

Quote from: Anderson's Shame on 15 February, 2012, 08:43:26 PM
Quote from: wonkychop on 15 February, 2012, 07:42:01 PM
Quote from: Goaty on 15 February, 2012, 03:37:49 PM
Honest, the Dredd film aimed for a darker and more realistic tone, with humanity and realism being the basis of the film, with Mega-City in Cursed Earth. Better for film if stick to realistic, and give it very interesting. Just leave the Sci-fi, Aliens, fantasy to the comics.

Yes. I think it will be an interesting take on Dredd, without the off the wall, avant garde, comic strip thrills. Looking forward to it.

Who'd write the film score for it though? Andrew Lloydd Webber? :D

Yes and while we're at it lets burn all copies of these films:

Superman
Alien, Aliens
Blade Runner
Big Trouble in Little China
The Thing
Terminator
Total Recall
Predator
Raiders of the lost Ark
Blade etc.. etc..

Because Fantastical Stuff taken seriously and executed professionally never - NEVER works on screen. Every film based on a comic franchise or a work of Sci-Fi fiction must explain everything away totally scientifically and leave no room for today's dumb-ass/ cynical audience to say "hey that doesn't happen in the real World".

All adaptations begin and end with The Dark Knight and there is no other way any other film could work if not made in the same 'real world'. There is no film maker more visionary than Christopher Nolan, who has perfected the art of Story telling on screen beyond any other Human being alive or dead.

:thumbsup:

No. For the new Dredd film to make an impact it is necessary to challnge previous SF conventions. Dredd is well known for SF effects, take the emphasis off them and do something innovative with the character, something different so the bored, apathetic audience doesn't go
"durr! annver sci fi film, I wonder if its gonna be like BladeRunner". Challenge these lazy expectations.

What you want from a Dredd film is the story "City of the Damned". It has all the elements you're hankering for : zombies, vampires, time travel, mutants, robots, paradoxical alternative time streams, e.s.p, Judge Anderson and a reference to Judge Death...all in one story. 
coming at a cinema near you soon

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: Beeks on 15 February, 2012, 09:40:10 PM
Whilst a semi enjoyable romp in comic form..I hope we never see Death in a Dredd film

He's just far too cliched bless him

Skully looking guy who's name is..wait for it..Judge Death

I mean come on..ok we get it..to a point

As opposed to the most-feared cop in Mega-City One being called Judge . . . Dredd.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: wonkychop on 15 February, 2012, 10:32:38 PM

What you want from a Dredd film is the story "City of the Damned". It has all the elements you're hankering for : zombies, vampires, time travel, mutants, robots, paradoxical alternative time streams, e.s.p, Judge Anderson and a reference to Judge Death...all in one story.

Nah.

Beeks

Quote from: Eric Plumrose on 15 February, 2012, 10:33:33 PM
Quote from: Beeks on 15 February, 2012, 09:40:10 PM
Whilst a semi enjoyable romp in comic form..I hope we never see Death in a Dredd film

He's just far too cliched bless him

Skully looking guy who's name is..wait for it..Judge Death

I mean come on..ok we get it..to a point

As opposed to the most-feared cop in Mega-City One being called Judge . . . Dredd.

Yeah but let's face it..Joseph Dredd is a tad more subtle

You're just being pedantic anyway  ;)
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

CYCLOPZ

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 15 February, 2012, 10:34:05 PM

Nah.

Wrong read above.

Grimmyx22

I have some posts missing. A little worrying. Check tomoro.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Anderson's Shame on 15 February, 2012, 10:27:22 PM

In short as a lot of us are getting at anyway is the story could be streamlined in some ways and made to incorporate elements from other stories. But as a student of film I would never out right say that some things could not work, or are too much for the general audience to take.

The Death cult idea has always lurked in the background of Dredd but I think Death himself would physically have to manifest through some host at some stage to do the character justice rather than be a mere transient phantasm infecting the minds of the Mega-Cits. Manifesting the rest of the Dark Judges would be a struggle though.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Anderson's Shame on 15 February, 2012, 10:37:47 PM
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 15 February, 2012, 10:34:05 PM

Nah.

Wrong read above.

Nope. Even T.B. Grover got tired of that tale before it finished.

Gonk

That's my point Joe. It's fucking tiresome. :lol:
coming at a cinema near you soon