Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goaty

I am glad it's Rated R, and not released trailer soon, as you dont want unfinished trailer?? As that done badly for many movies when they released trailers of unfinished features...

Steve Green

The film is finished.

It's not like occasions where they release trailers with unfinished effect shots.

Spaceghost

By the way, I just read my last post and it sounds a bit sniffy. Please be assured SBT, I didn't mean to sound disparaging of your tastes. I watch and enjoy a tremendous amount of 'utter tosh' myself.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Goaty

Give them a time, I trust in them...

Cant wait to see it in September.

JOE SOAP

Once it's rated trailers can be released and attached to whatever similar films are playing above and below the same rating.

Goaty

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 25 April, 2012, 12:15:03 PM
Once it's rated trailers can be released and attached to whatever similar films are playing above and below the same rating.

That's right.

SmallBlueThing

Ah,  but the 'tosh' i tend to watch tends to be the type of film i enjoy. Dredd seems to a straightforward action movie that's embarrassed about its sci fi roots. Im not in the least interested in action shooty movies, and have never even seen Die Hard.

And im not specifically a fan of dredd- it's not my favourite prog strip by a long chalk, and much of my fondness for it is based on repetition and familiarity, having read it every week for thirty five years. I dont feel any compulsion to see the movie, much as i dont need to play a dredd videogame or read a dredd novel- though i might do so from time to time. I think the only 2000AD strip id be compelled to see at the cinema if they made a movie, would be Slaine.

SBT

Tiplodocus

I'm a bit disappointed with a high certificate myself.

Yes Dredd is violent, often amusingly so, but that always tended to be an additional extra for me.

I could quite happily live with a 12A Dredd which could be violent (just not relentlessly so) and could get away with some gore (just not tons - e.g. a Terminator punching [spoiler]a hole through someone's chest to reach a steering wheel and drive a car as seen in [/spoiler] Terminator 3).

Some saucy ladies and beefcake also always welcome in a Dredd strip but complete nudity and/or sex? Again, these were never an essential ingredrient to a Dredd story for me.

Are they using the "adult" content (violence, gore, nudity) to distance themselves from the "comic book movies are for kids"? 

Surely by now, most people are aware that a comic book movie can also be mature and grim (a la Dark Knight*) or relatively mature and fun (a la most recent Marvel output)?

I just don't see the point of excluding a massive potential audience with a high rating.

* Yes, I know there are other examples and the world of superhero movies doesn't begin and end with Nolan but who wouldn't kill for Dark Knight's box office and critical reception.

I'm also disappointed with myself for joining in properly on this thread. I'd previously sworn just to skim read it, laugh and post sarcastic comments as people work themselves up into a frenzy.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

dweezil2

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 25 April, 2012, 12:32:21 PM
Ah,  but the 'tosh' i tend to watch tends to be the type of film i enjoy. Dredd seems to a straightforward action movie that's embarrassed about its sci fi roots.

I've not got that impression from any of the magazine articles I've read and images from the film I've seen. Sci-Fi is a broad church and takes in all extremes of the genre and everything in between from stuff like Escape From New York at one end and Solaris at the other.

The comic strip is pretty much dominated by action so I don't see any contradiction in the film's depiction.

Still, the R rating is good news-so roll on the trailer and the eventual movie!
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

dweezil2

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 25 April, 2012, 12:40:31 PM

I could quite happily live with a 12A Dredd which could be violent (just not relentlessly so) and could get away with some gore (just not tons - e.g. a Terminator punching [spoiler]a hole through someone's chest to reach a steering wheel and drive a car as seen in [/spoi

Surely by now, most people are aware that a comic book movie can also be mature and grim (a la Dark Knight*) or relatively mature and fun (a la most recent Marvel output)?

I just don't see the point of excluding a massive potential audience with a high rating.

The days of Terminator getting a 12A are long gone and that rating seems to be something of a glaring anomaly-considering T3 was an R in the states.
The BBFC seem to be far more conservative of late snipping footage from several high profile movies to receive a 12A- The Hunger Games and The Woman In Black.
There was a lot of contention with The Dark Knight's 12A rating and 'Rises' could face pressure to be cut.

I'd rather the UK gets an uncut 15 certificate than face being butchered at the hands of the BBFC- it was bad enough with the pointless cuts made to the first Judge Dredd film.
I'd rather see the film as it was intended to be seen and I don't see a 15 cert as anyway damaging (if that's what it gets in the UK)-in fact the kudos gained from being one of the few R/15 movies in a sea of 12A/PG-13 superhero movies could work to its advantage and attract an audience it wouldn't of otherwise.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Mardroid

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 25 April, 2012, 12:40:31 PM

If the 'R' rating translates to a 15 rather than an 18 this side of the pond, I'd be happy with that. 15 rated films nowadays can well cover the brutality and nastiness required for a film such as this while still providing a limit to prevent it going overboard- a good thing to me. (Not that I'd complain at an 18 cert. either.)

Come to think of it, a good proportion of 15 rated films nowadays would get an 18 in past years.

That being said as long as the story is good and it keeps the required level of action, I'd be happy enough with a 12a too. You don't need excessive gore for a good sci-fi action film. I suspect, if nothing else, the themes of [spoiler]drug abuse[/spoiler] would keep the certification pretty high though.

Mardroid

Quote from: dweezil2 on 25 April, 2012, 01:03:53 PM
The days of Terminator getting a 12A are long gone and that rating seems to be something of a glaring anomaly-considering T3 was an R in the states.

I was quite shocked at watching X-Men:First Class the other day seeing that [spoiler]Wolverine cameo. Hearing him tell Magneto and Xavier to "Go Drokk themselves."[/spoiler]*  It was a very funny but in a 12A film?

Mind you, pretty much everything else in the film is well within that certification.

*Another word might have been used.

Goaty

MR. ELIMINATOR

These are questions for anyone who read the script...

[spoiler]Isn't the 'drug use' in the ratings a fake drug, and wasn't it like an asthma inhaler?[/spoiler]Isn't the 'drug use' in the ratings a fake drug, and wasn't it like an asthma inhaler?

[spoiler]I'm assuming the 'sexual content' is the bit where we see inside anderson's head and she has that mental battle with the prisoner they have? Personally I though that was a really shit scene. Also I didn't like the kiss at the end, seemed a bit soppy for dredd[/spoiler]

MR. ELIMINATOR