Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

I'd say because first and foremost Dredd's a lawman with a fairly nifty gun that fires variant ammo, a bike that has cannons, a day-stick, a boot-knife etc. and therefore is essential but also, even though all these things are all ready present in the comic, a film should push certain things comics can't and people do expect something a little more with Dredd.

JOE SOAP

To not have him use his 'tools' in the intended way and to try and hide their 'effects' for no reason other than a silly rating would be like stopping a superheroes from using their powers.

Bat King

12A is possible... But 15 makes it more likely to contain a good mix of things that are in the comic that would seem very A-Team (TV, not seen movie re-hash) in 12A.

Remember A-Team, all that shooting, cars crashed and we always saw bad guys crawling out the wrecks dusting themselves down.  They did that so it could be shown at family viewing.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

CYCLOPZ

dracula1

This needs to be and should be a pure R rated movie. Not really up on U. K.  rating standards but a 12 or 15 is iffy!!! An old school (R)  restricted that gets banned by its own director is what's needed!

Tiplodocus

To not have him use his 'tools' in the intended way and to try and hide their 'effects' for no reason other than a silly rating would be like stopping a superheroes from using their power

No it's nothing like that at all. And it's not a silly rating - not if the comic has plenty of brilliant stories where graphic violence isn't the be all and end all of it and could be filmed at that rating.

Anyways, I was just asking. Y'all seem hung up on it needing to be violent. Being violent and 18 won't automatically make it better but it will automatically reduce the potential audience.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 25 April, 2012, 11:06:54 PM
No it's nothing like that at all. And it's not a silly rating - not if the comic has plenty of brilliant stories where graphic violence isn't the be all and end all of it and could be filmed at that rating.

Anyways, I was just asking. Y'all seem hung up on it needing to be violent. Being violent and 18 won't automatically make it better but it will automatically reduce the potential audience.

Most Dredd stories aren't suitable to be films and it's generally the ones that contain Dredd in his role as Judge, Jury and Executioner that draw interest as potential films, not Otto Sump or the Diary of Adrian Cockroach.

It's not 18's, it's R-rated: Under 17 Requires Accompanying Parent or Adult Guardian or the equivalent of 15s.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Trout on 24 April, 2012, 07:04:32 PM
People who come to this forum just to post about the Dredd film: please buy the bloody comic. It's really good.

Thanks.
Oh. Is it still going?
We never really die.

Professor Bear

Gore won't make the story any smarter, it'll just appeal to a more easily-pleased punter, and of all the great PG films in existence, I'm not sure which ones could have been improved by the addition of graphic gunshot wounds.
A good story will survive not having any F-bombs or disembowelings in it - a bad one not so much.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Professah Byah on 25 April, 2012, 11:24:27 PM
Gore won't make the story any smarter, it'll just appeal to a more easily-pleased punter, and of all the great PG films in existence, I'm not sure which ones could have been improved by the addition of graphic gunshot wounds.
A good story will survive not having any F-bombs or disembowelings in it - a bad one not so much.

There is a certain expectation with a character like Dredd -as there is with RoboCop- who is a state sponsored fascist with an iconic gun and armoured bike, that there'l be at least some level of violence that isn't bloodless. I'm not a splatter/gore fan at all but I believe Dredd's appeal at its base level is cracking the heads of the lawless and if a certain quotient wasn't there, at least in the first film, something would be amiss.

Goaty

Don't know why you want it be kids-friendly film. I remember I read that Matt Damon wasn't happy that Bourne films in 12A as it represent violence in it.

Professor Bear

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 25 April, 2012, 11:32:12 PMThere is a certain expectation with a character like Dredd -as there is with RoboCop- who is a state sponsored fascist with an iconic gun and armoured bike, that there'l be at least some level of violence that isn't bloodless.

Rooster Cogburn is a mean SOB in both versions of True Grit and the addition of more graphic violence in the second version didn't make him any tougher.  Likewise, the lack of gore isn't what made Robocop: The Series so bad, and the violence-free Lawman of the Future wasn't a gash comic because Dredd didn't splatter people in it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm old enough to be able to watch whatever version they come up with, but I don't buy that it has to be a gorefest.

MR. ELIMINATOR

Dredd is the meanest mother who ever lived and has no problem with shooting criminals. 12a could never be an option.

In fact, I am pretty sure right from the get go they said this was going to be a hard R.

vzzbux

Rooster Cogburn. HEH.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Professah Byah on 26 April, 2012, 12:04:54 AM
but I don't buy that it has to be a gorefest.

It doesn't have to be a gore-fest to get an R either.