Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

...and Dredd gets its first public screening:

Of today's Dredd screening, IM Global's Stuart Ford says, "The reaction was great. It was as packed as any screening I've seen in Cannes. There were people sitting on the floor in the front and the back of the room." (And that was after the air-conditioning had gone on the blink just ahead of the movie; Ford says there were no walkouts, "even though it was about a hundred degrees.") Dredd, directed by Pete Travis, stars Karl Urban, Olivia Thirlby and Lena Headey. It's a project that would also normally have been set up at a studio, but instead, Reliance Big Entertainment and IM Global financed DNA Films' $40M adaptation of the UK comic created by John Wagner and illustrated by Carlos Ezquerra. Today's screening allowed "people who bought it for a lot of money 18 months ago" to get a look at what Ford says is "an edgy, cool film with a rocking soundtrack." Compared to other superhero pictures coming down the pike, Ford says it "appears very fresh and distinctive. It's Dirty Harry meets District 9." Lionsgate is releasing in the U.S. on September 21 and there are two territories remaining that Ford expects to close possibly "before the evening is out."

JOE SOAP

DKCX

Beeks

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 17 May, 2012, 10:13:28 PM
...and Dredd gets its first public screening:

Of today's Dredd screening, IM Global's Stuart Ford says, "The reaction was great. It was as packed as any screening I've seen in Cannes. There were people sitting on the floor in the front and the back of the room." (And that was after the air-conditioning had gone on the blink just ahead of the movie; Ford says there were no walkouts, "even though it was about a hundred degrees.") Dredd, directed by Pete Travis, stars Karl Urban, Olivia Thirlby and Lena Headey. It's a project that would also normally have been set up at a studio, but instead, Reliance Big Entertainment and IM Global financed DNA Films' $40M adaptation of the UK comic created by John Wagner and illustrated by Carlos Ezquerra. Today's screening allowed "people who bought it for a lot of money 18 months ago" to get a look at what Ford says is "an edgy, cool film with a rocking soundtrack." Compared to other superhero pictures coming down the pike, Ford says it "appears very fresh and distinctive. It's Dirty Harry meets District 9." Lionsgate is releasing in the U.S. on September 21 and there are two territories remaining that Ford expects to close possibly "before the evening is out."

Sounds very promising indeed
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

JOE SOAP

Quote from: SneakeeX on 17 May, 2012, 10:05:05 PM
I recall John Wagner mentioning he had seen some of the concept stuff and maybe even early finished uniforms early on in the developmental stages and suggested changing some aspects of the uniform...I have my suspicions that the helmet was one of those suggestions.
Just the way the helmet is sitting very close to the neck collar and maybe they didn't really test the new changes made afterwards and not taking into account the different body types of the people wearing them.
I still think it looks fantastic when its sitting right on the actors. Would be cool to find out this stuff once the dust has settled after the release of the movie.
Definately one question I'll be asking him.

Apparently the helmet design is sacrosanct, couldn't be changed and was one of the strict stipulations   laid down by Rebellion, along with it not being removed. I believe the changes were more to do with the rest of the uniform. uniform.

DKCX

Excellent news considering the conditions the viewers had to endure whilst still enjoying it.
Roll on September...

DKCX

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 17 May, 2012, 10:19:15 PM
Quote from: SneakeeX on 17 May, 2012, 10:05:05 PM
I recall John Wagner mentioning he had seen some of the concept stuff and maybe even early finished uniforms early on in the developmental stages and suggested changing some aspects of the uniform...I have my suspicions that the helmet was one of those suggestions.
Just the way the helmet is sitting very close to the neck collar and maybe they didn't really test the new changes made afterwards and not taking into account the different body types of the people wearing them.
I still think it looks fantastic when its sitting right on the actors. Would be cool to find out this stuff once the dust has settled after the release of the movie.
Definately one question I'll be asking him.

Apparently the helmet design is sacrosanct, couldn't be changed and was one of the strict stipulations   laid down by Rebellion, along with it not being removed. I believe the changes were more to do with the rest of the uniform. uniform.
Eagle on the shoulder?
What would you put yout money if you were to guess Joe?

JOE SOAP

Goaty

vzzbux

It seems to me that the Dredd (2012) ball is rolling a little bit faster now.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

dweezil2

That's some real tasty news!  :D

Wonder if we'll get some audience reaction to the film soon!
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Frank

On a geeky note, check that fucking typeface! Jan Shepard-tastic.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: bikini kill on 17 May, 2012, 11:06:27 PM
On a geeky note, check that fucking typeface! Jan Shepard-tastic.

I hope it's available on the Spectrum.