Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darnmarr

Quite. As Joe pointed out: practically indie.

The Sherman Kid

Quote from: darnmarr on 28 May, 2012, 03:14:15 PM
From JDMN:
One (2nd-hand) tweet, post-Cannes, probably referring to The Wagner Quibble;

Robbie Collin ‏@robbiereviews

Heard some early word on the new JUDGE DREDD film from a secret Cannes market screening. Apparently it "doesn't look very expensive".

[/size]

DR & Quinch 'Mind the Oranges Marlon'  :D

Well that screening was for investors, so maybe they have a vested interest in whether they can see their money, rather than if the film an engaging story told well...

The Sherman Kid

Pesky missing edit function -I was refering to the rumour mill in that story.

District 9 looked cheap but was still a great film.I'll trust John Wagner's recommendation.

Goaty

Yes District 9 was perfectly example, as even with budget of only $30 million!

SmallBlueThing

It baffles me that you think District 9 "looked cheap"! I saw it, and at no point did i think 'this needed more money spent on it'.

I also saw Avatar, one of the 'most expensive films ever made' and thought, "this looks no different than one of those cheap playstation games that kids play", so i guess it's horses for courses.
Isnt this just the 'science fiction must have shitloads of cash flung at it for it to work' mindset that saw dr who mired in bbc purgatory until rtd came along and made us wish it had never come back at all?

SBT

JOE SOAP

Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 28 May, 2012, 03:49:07 PM

District 9 looked cheap but was still a great film.I'll trust John Wagner's recommendation.

Can't say I thought District 9 looked cheap, 'docu-drama' style all right but not cheap. It certainly looked better than something like Green Lantern which didn't know what to do with its massive budget.

vzzbux

You cant really judge a film by a price. A film like Daddy Day Care cost $60 mil. I gather alot of that went on wages and it was still shit.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

HunterZolomon

There is a difference between "not looking expensive" and "looking cheap". It is obvious District 9 didn't have a big budget, but it didn't matter since the story they wanted to tell didn't need one. It looked great!

If Dredd "doesn't look expensive" doesn't mean it will look cheap, or bad.

The Sherman Kid

You're right 'cheap' was the wrong word to use, 'not too expensive' is closer to what I meant.District 9 is an excellent film, whilst Avatar, as SBT says, just looked like a video game or disney pic and I'd never want to see again let alone watch a sequel.

DeFuzzed

It didn't look expensive as in glitz and high tech like I, Robot and with its shiny? Then thank god it doesn't look expensive. Dredd is dirty, set in a dirty, lawless time - expensive shit ain't gonna last long in that kinda world, not with the crims around and the grime in the air of that - bears repeating - DIRTY, post-apocalyptic world.

Couldn't care less. *sticks out tongue*

Misanthrope

Dredd '95 looked expensive.

Nuff said.
Did you know Christ was a werewolf?

darnmarr

A good Dredd story, well-realised, is what we want, and Mr Wagner's given us every indication that that's what we'll get, - but if we do recall those vehicles from the early photos, and we then the remember the van, and in that light consider both this tweeted comment and Mr Wagner's own stated reservations, then I think it's not improbable that 'cheap-looking' might have some justification as an appellation, and 'chap-looking' is therefore probably going to be a rallying flag for those determined to hate it.

That, and possibly 'The Raid' comparisons, unfortunately.

These criticisms will melt to the unimportant nitpicks they are if the film is good: and it sounds good.

darnmarr

chap.' cheap'.

Godammit

Danbo

Wagner said its good,low budget I can take,its the fear that it will just be crap and make me feel like a complete twat for ever liking Dredd like the Stallone version did....dark days,took me ages to get out of that slump.
I'm still more excited for this than any other film this year though,Dark Knight and Hobbit included.
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

darnmarr

Well fifty crap Stallone versions would still not make you a twat for appreciating Dredd. And I cant see Wagner recommending another shite-storm, so I think you can relax a bit.