Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Quote from: dweezil2 on 01 June, 2012, 12:29:07 AM
Empire will give Dredd two stars and say it was better than Pluto Nash and Wild, Wild, West but would of benefited from more Rob Shneider!

Did someone say intrusive cameo?
By mrosborn at 2012-03-30

dweezil2

[/quote]

Did someone say intrusive cameo?
By mrosborn at 2012-03-30
[/quote]

:o
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Stan

So that's what happens when you forget to unclick 'full details' on Imageshack. Stupid internet stalking.

darnmarr

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 01 June, 2012, 12:20:59 AM
Relax, Empire haven't reviewed it yet. Wait for the backlash.

Well reviews are important no doubt, and here's hoping Empire and other movie mags love it; but I'm sure we'd all rather it was a critical failure and a commercial success than the other way around.

I've no doubt direct comparisons will be made to the well-funded and occasionally brilliant (mean-machine, por ejemplo) art dept of the 90's version, ( which the cash simply aint there for this time 'round) and plot similarity to The Raid is undoubtedly gonna pop-up too.

But, if I can be forgiven for wildly speculating about reviews I haven't read for a film I haven't seen, I think that these comparisons could result in Dredd being seen in a more favorable light: The mess of 95 proved that all the shiny surface elements in the world don't make a good story;and twixt Wagner's reaction and Garland's screen-writing form, I think it's likely that this time round the tale is a comprehensible one and has at least  been well-told.

The Raid is a satisfying high octane ballet for folk who are happy to watch blood, dance-fighting and snot for an hour, but it is almost entirely without meaningful characters or drama, and while the Dredd script and The Raid are equally unlikely to attract Oscar nominations, I reckon Garland actually has done a lot more with the premise and a lot of film reviewers should pick upon that.

In other words, I'm with Signor ELIMINATOR: positively salivating. I can't help it.

JOE SOAP

darnmarr

UP THE BUM WITH A BROKEN BOTTLE!

Quote from: darnmarr on 01 June, 2012, 01:02:26 AM

Well reviews are important no doubt, and here's hoping Empire and other movie mags love it; but I'm sure we'd all rather it was a critical failure and a commercial success than the other way around.

Beaky Smoochies

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 31 May, 2012, 10:20:18 PM
Surely the Minty Production team deserve some recognition for all their sterling efforts?

And possible inclusion on the Dredd DVD and Blu ray when it's released, THAT would be awesome...
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

Danbo

No Dredd trailer with Prometheus? It was out last at midnight,maybe when its released in the US?

And screw that Empire review of Pro,felt like the guy had already made his mind up before hew saw it.I've read a few 9/10 and plenty of 8/10 reviews so I'm still pumpped for that...they gave Attack of the Clones 5/5,thats why I don't buy that bullshit rag anymore.
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

PreacherCain

I'm looking forward to Prometheus anyway, have to wait another week till it's out here though  :-\

I've avoided most spoilers for it. I assume at least some of the poorer reviews may be the result of people expecting the film to be something that it isn't (a straight prequel, essentially). But then I am avoiding most of the press and reviews, just seeing star ratings and quick, concise summaries of peoples feelings on twitter.

Scott's films rarely do well with the critics. At least initially anyway. I'll make up my own mind next week  :D

Danbo

Alien got slated on release,says it all.and,yeah it seems folks are disappointed thats it's not Alieny enough re scares and such ...... Anyway I'll find out tomorrow if DRedd is there
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

HunterZolomon

Just tried to check the Dredd FB site and it's down for some reason. Anyone know what's going on? You don't have to shut down a FB page just to update it do you?

JOE SOAP

HunterZolomon

Thanks! So many broken links...  :(

Richmond Clements

QuoteAnd screw that Empire review of Pro,felt like the guy had already made his mind up before hew saw it.

Yes, because certainly nobody has expressed an opinion, without seeing it, that this was going to be the movie of the year.
Me, I think he gave an opinion on the movie that you and others do not want to agree with.

radiator

True - I desperately want Dredd to the sleeper smash of the year, but im aware that it could go either way and if it gets mixed reviews as Prometheus has done I'm not going to delude myself that it's for any other reason than it's likely going to have tangible flaws and is probably going to disappoint me.

Saying "well they gave film x 4 stars so what do they know" is totally illogical - as if one guy writes every single review for a given site or magazine.