Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vzzbux

You have to remember there is not just blocks in sectors they have monuments and over sea imports like The White Cliffs of Dover.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

The Adventurer

I've always felt that 650 Million cits was a bit of a low number with how large and congested the Big Meg always appears. You'd think it should be closer to a Billion citizens.

Mega City 1 should be congested and crazy, even with how big it is its skyline should never look that thin, IMO.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Leigh S on 10 June, 2012, 09:16:02 PM
Just going on the facts of the comic, each block holds 65,000 cits, so lets say 10,000 blocks to hold 650 million cits.  Spread that over 300 sectors, or 30 odd blocks per sector.....

Peach Tree block [spoiler]holds 75,000 cits.[/spoiler]

JOE SOAP

Quote from: The Adventurer on 10 June, 2012, 10:22:27 PM
Mega City 1 should be congested and crazy, even with how big it is its skyline should never look that thin, IMO.

Not even in any part?

The Adventurer

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 10 June, 2012, 10:24:47 PM

Not even in any part?

In my opinion? No.  Mega City 1 should be busting at the seams. With one side flanked by the Cursed Earth, and the other The Black Atlantic. Everyone and everything fighting for a tiny silver of personal space to call their own.

TordelBack

Quote from: The Adventurer on 10 June, 2012, 10:26:40 PM
In my opinion? No.  Mega City 1 should be busting at the seams. With one side flanked by the Cursed Earth, and the other The Black Atlantic. Everyone and everything fighting for a tiny silver of personal space to call their own.

I think the old Space Maths Population thread would indicate that for that to be the case MC-1 would need several billion inhabitants.  If you have high-rise high-density block you are going to have a lot of open space or at least low-rise areas between them.  Look at Kennedy's 'Saturday Night Fever' or 'Cardboard City'.  That'll do for me.

JOE SOAP

Not even in any part?

Sounds boring, I like to think there's richer and civic sectors that are a bit more open-plan.

JOE SOAP

Not even in any part?

Sounds boring, I like to think there's richer and civic sectors that are a bit more open-plan.

The Adventurer

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 10 June, 2012, 10:33:14 PMSounds boring, I like to think there's richer and civic sectors that are a bit more open-plan.
I suppose I'm not saying that can't be the case, where Richer areas are less congested. But those areas aren't necessarily large, and are always flanked by the ever present high-rises of the city surrounding it.

The Adventurer

Again, this is a personal opinion, when I imagine Mega City 1 in my mind, its a congested mass of city blocks, skyways, air traffic, and crime. An island of a cyberpunk nightmare nestled in the wreckage of a post-apocalyptic world.

JOE SOAP

JOE SOAP

as in fan-page with a weird smorgasboard of photoshoppery.

blackmocco

They've been devilishly clever in regards to showing cranes and construction in the background. If the movie justifies a sequel and a larger budget to flesh out the city a bit more, all they have to do is set it a few years on from this one to explain it. Urban growth and all that.

I love what they've done here. The attention to those details and justifying the limited budget they have is spot on. How often do you see filmmakers showing some restraint and responsibility with their product these days? Nicholas Meyer directed Star Trek II (what most fans would agree is the strongest of the movies) and on the commentary he's convinced the movie works so well because they had such a tiny budget compared to what came before. It forced them to make responsible decisions and to tailor the movie to play to its strengths. Things that don't cost anything to focus on: Characters and story.

Hard not to get a chill looking at Dredd heading back out to the city although [spoiler]I suspect that this is one of the final shots of the movie as opposed to the beginning.[/spoiler]
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

TordelBack

I happen to agree with you there, Adventurer, but if you're going with a 'realistic' take, as this movie appears to be doing, it's just not going to wash.  MC-1 can't be both as extensive (Boston to DC) and as intensive as your appealing description suggests, without running into the billions of citizens.  It can't all be Manhattan island/Hong Kong.

JOE SOAP

It looks like when Dirty Harry's on top of that building in 'Frisco at the start of the flick.