Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a chosen rider

Couple of snippets about today's Dredd panel have popped up on Twitter:

Quote from: @StealthBudaDredd panel at ‪#LFCC‬ Sep 7 release date in the UK. Two weeks before the US. 18 certificate.

Quote from: @adam_rayThe ‪#dredd‬ panel at ‪#LFCC‬ was ace and the first look at a new scene looked cool - even @RealKarlUrban saw it for the first time!

Quote from: @CinemartNowDREDD‬ looked pretty cool. Nice look and a John Carpentery score. ‪#LFCC
On Twitter @devilsfootsteps

HunterZolomon

This is getting ridiculous, can expectations get any higher. "a John Carpentry score"?!! Are there any sound bites available anywhere?

Beeks

I'm really concerned it's an 18 cert to be honest.

Might have shot themselves in the foot with regards to their target audience

I'm worried for a sequel now
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

a chosen rider

All comments I'm seeing on Twitter have been positive so far.  Also, there was this, from Jock:

QuoteSpecial mention to John Burdis and friend,who stood fast in their judge uniforms and didn't turn round to watch the clip.That must have hurt

Now there's dedication for you. :o
On Twitter @devilsfootsteps

CYCLOPZ

Quote from: Beeks on 07 July, 2012, 07:11:55 PM

If the Saw films can find a loyal audience for an R Rated film I think Dredd Can too. The Audience is there, judging by the kind of films that are successful on DVD. I think its a case of building an awareness of Dredd through good word of mouth.

A possible concern is that a film like Scott Pilgrim had great early word of mouth which didn't translate into good box office. But Dredd is a more well known property even in the US, due to the cult status of the Stallone flick.

CYCLOPZ

Quote from: a chosen rider on 07 July, 2012, 06:57:42 PM
Quote from: @CinemartNowDREDD‬ looked pretty cool. Nice look and a John Carpentery score. ‪#LFCC

Interesting. Drokk also sounded very John carpenter / Brad Fiedel.

JOE SOAP

That's why the only spent $40 million on it, they knew they could get their money back and more. I'm not worried. Dredd has a fairly sizeable world-wide audience.

Stan

But that is their target audience. :P As long as the film itself is good then it should be as worthy of sequels as Robocop, Predator, and Alien. If it's crap then I probably won't care. B)

JOE SOAP

Quote from: CYCLOPZ on 07 July, 2012, 07:24:03 PM
A possible concern is that a film like Scott Pilgrim had great early word of mouth which didn't translate into good box office.

Scott Pilgrim cost too much and had more of an indie comic appeal which is always a risk. Dredd is a  broad-based action-film with political subtext. They're not really comparable and I know which one I'd bet on.

CYCLOPZ

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 07 July, 2012, 07:41:29 PM
Quote from: CYCLOPZ on 07 July, 2012, 07:24:03 PM
A possible concern is that a film like Scott Pilgrim had great early word of mouth which didn't translate into good box office.

Scott Pilgrim cost too much and had more of an indie comic appeal which is always a risk. Dredd is a  broad-based action-film with political subtext. They're not really comparable and I know which one I'd bet on.

Yep, on the budget factor alone Dredd is less of a concern. Studios are routinely throwing $60 mil at films that to my mind have much narrower appeal than Dredd. Its a good thing that Dredd is so cheap and I'm guessing that depending on whether it makes a modest but good amount in the cinemas rather than something like $200 mil they'll want to keep the budget of the sequels quite low too.

In the past it was possible to make fun and violent action films like Total Recall aimed at an adult audience that made a lot of money back. But those were also the days when big names like Schwarzenegger guaranteed success. 

I would like Dredd to make way more than anticipated, which would make it more likely that we'll see more larger scale sequels like Total War or the Apocalypse War.

JOE SOAP

Garlan'ds proposed sequels are reportedly:

Film II: Cursed Eath/Origins story.

Film III: Dark Judges.

Misanthrope

Did you know Christ was a werewolf?

JOE SOAP

Probably because it's an obvious follow up.

Misanthrope

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 07 July, 2012, 08:12:39 PM
Probably because it's an obvious follow up.

I know, that is why I said it.

A mutant Judge Death was of more interest at the time. :lol:
Did you know Christ was a werewolf?

CYCLOPZ

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 07 July, 2012, 08:03:49 PM

Film II: Cursed Eath/Origins story.

Would much prefer something connected to the democracy storyline, but Origins could conceivably encompass this.

Didn't JW say himself say that Origins was the necessary story Arch just to tie things up? It was a fantastic Arch but I think the film makers could go another way.

To me an Origin story is always going to be less exciting and to be honest Judge Dredd Existed far more years than most other long running comic series without having to resort to telling the origin story; 30 years.

For now I suppose this is all speculation anyway.