Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Quote from: CYCLOPZ on 08 July, 2012, 08:47:57 AM

Come to think of it, if the Judda and the rogue clone judges are somehow introduced into a cursed earth story, this could be combined with the Dark Judge story.

Psychic mutant clones of Dredd with teleportation technology.

Why not just do a Judda story then instead of convoluting a way to shoehorn in the Dark Judges?

Misanthrope

I think that any future Dredd movies should stay away from clones, they have been done to death.
Did you know Christ was a werewolf?

Frank

Quote from: Misanthrope on 08 July, 2012, 11:27:20 AM
I think that any future Dredd movies should stay away from clones, they have been done to death.

Any Dredd film's going to feature at least one clone.

vzzbux

Have they? Really?
If a sequel is an origins take then the clone angle is unavoidable as it is the very essence of Dredd.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Misanthrope

Have they? Really?

Film wise, yes.

The plot of the first film revolved around clones and cloning.

vzzbux

I can only think of a handfull  of mainstream films covering Cloneing and that is over decades.
AOTC, Judge Dredd 95, The 6th day that come straight to mind
Not really awash with titles but I am sure you will scoure the internet and swamp me with titles.
Cloning wouldn't be the main plot of any Dredd film origin just a passing 'Dredd was cloned from the greatest Judge etc.

V
Drokking since 1972

Misanthrope

Quotebut I am sure you will scoure the internet and swamp me with titles.

I would if I could give a shit.

vzzbux

Drokking since 1972

Frank

Quote from: vzzbux on 08 July, 2012, 11:31:14 AM
Have they? Really?
If a sequel is an origins take then the clone angle is unavoidable as it is the very essence of Dredd.

Alex Garland literally did clones to death in Never Let Me Go

Mudcrab

Quote from: vzzbux on 08 July, 2012, 11:54:40 AM
I can only think of a handfull  of mainstream films covering Cloneing and that is over decades.
AOTC, Judge Dredd 95, The 6th day that come straight to mind
Not really awash with titles but I am sure you will scoure the internet and swamp me with titles.
Cloning wouldn't be the main plot of any Dredd film origin just a passing 'Dredd was cloned from the greatest Judge etc.

Moon & The Island, but that's all I can think of. Certainly can't think of anything before Dredd in 2000ad though (meaning 70s and before). Certainly hasn't been "done to death" like zombies and vampires, but then they're practically genres in themselves these days.

V
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Frank

Quote from: Mudcrab on 08 July, 2012, 12:17:33 PM
Moon & The Island, but that's all I can think of. Certainly can't think of anything before Dredd in 2000ad though (meaning 70s and before). Certainly hasn't been "done to death" like zombies and vampires, but then they're practically genres in themselves these days.

The Boys From Brazil by Ira Levin (1976), and the film came out in 1978. Levin wasn't a science fiction author per se, so I'm sure the theory and idea were common currency in certain circles at the time.

DeFuzzed

Quote from: bikini kill on 08 July, 2012, 12:06:22 PM

Alex Garland literally did clones to death in Never Let Me Go

Heh  :)

And Alien did clones too. I don't mind it, but it needs to be done so any whiff of Stallone isn't there and with Dredd's team, I'm kinda confident they'll tackle it just fine.... hopefully.

Back in London and kicking myself for being too shy to do conventions and meets. I have been known to fall to the floor and crawl away from eyes that were looking my direction. And Karl sounds so nice, all chatty and very down to earth, and yet stupid me's already got palpitations just at the thought of facing the guy. Actually, I'd get hives just meeting the Tweet Droid and he's one of us - but an awesome one of us (tangent: I love you, Tweet Droid!)

CF, I envy you so much!

Pete Wells

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 08 July, 2012, 12:17:41 AM
And here's me not watching the clip  :'( :'( :'(

If you zoom right in on Burdis' face you can see a solitary little tear rolling down his cheek...

Hats off to the big fella though, he's really done us all proud here and over the last few weeks promoting the shit out of the film and the comic. Deserving of next years KTT?

Mudcrab

Quote from: bikini kill on 08 July, 2012, 12:28:58 PM
Quote from: Mudcrab on 08 July, 2012, 12:17:33 PM

The Boys From Brazil by Ira Levin (1976), and the film came out in 1978. Levin wasn't a science fiction author per se, so I'm sure the theory and idea were common currency in certain circles at the time.

Of course, can't believe I forgot that. A possible influence on Dredd to begin with? Cloning fascist dictators and all that  :-*
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

JOE SOAP

Future plots/stories don't have to be centred on clones but no reason they can't contain them just like they can contain future-drugs and future-disease and war.