Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Wells

If we're sticking with 18 Certificates, can we have a sequel that focuses on the sexmek industry please?

IAMTHESYSTEM

Yeah. A Crime gang kidnaps Judge Anderson to try and clone her Booty to sell to perverts for millions of creds.
Now that's a Movie !

I think it's an Oscar winning idea so send me the Cheque DNA/Rebellion/Lionsgate/whoever.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

MR. ELIMINATOR

A question about the new clip description for people who read leaked script.

[spoiler]I am assuming they have replace Dredd shooting through a citizen to hit the fleeing perp with this hotshot scene (the former being one of my favourite bits of the script, so a bit disappointed about that), but I slightly recall there being a choice of death or the cubes for somebody early on. I can't remember too well though, anyone know?[/spoiler]

shaolin_monkey

Apologies, as this has probably been posted already.  Just in case though:

http://www.thisisfakediy.co.uk/articles/film/dredd-the-lfcc-panel-alex-garland-reveals-sequel-ideas-for-the-18-certifica/

Not much that hasn't been discussed already, but it's still an enjoyable read.

Danbo

Nice read...He says it must gross 50 million in the states,looking at the top 200 R rated films,number 200 grossed 70 mil.
Unless Dredd is an absolute stinker I think it has a good chance of getting a sequel.Freddy Vs Jason grossed 80
+ and that should attract the casual gore hounds to Dredd.

http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/domestic/mpaa.htm?page=R&sort=gross&order=DESC&p=.htm
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

darnmarr

On the clone topic: I think there's excellent possibilities inherent in the idea, but maybe that's just because I like to see the same actor play different people. Also it might be way of including Karl's naked visage (for the laydeez and the dandy dapper gents). Clones were given lip-service in the 95 version, but they were really just clones  in name and blue-rubber zombie thingies in fact.

Plus: one less actor on the pay-roll.

ED GRIMREAPER

Well if the sequel is going to be set in the Cursed Earth, please please please have the Land Raider/Kill Dozer in it. That would be sweet!

Frank

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 08 July, 2012, 01:34:34 PM
Apologies, as this has probably been posted already.  Just in case though:
http://www.thisisfakediy.co.uk/articles/film/dredd-the-lfcc-panel-alex-garland-reveals-sequel-ideas-for-the-18-certifica/
Not much that hasn't been discussed already, but it's still an enjoyable read.

"On preparation for the film.
Alex: The first thing I did was contact John Wagner. I started reading when I was about 10 or 11, with the Judge Child. I wanted to know he was okay about us doing it, so I contacted him and told him the budget and the aesthetic. He ended up drawing us a whole comic of the script which we distributed amongst ourselves. He did a lot of our concept art, and informed a great deal of the film.
"

Either the journo responsible for that article confused a reference to Jock with one to Dredd's creator, or Wagner's been hiding his artistic talent under a bushel all these years.

wadew1

Quote from: MR. ELIMINATOR on 08 July, 2012, 01:19:47 PM

[spoiler]I am assuming they have replace Dredd shooting through a citizen to hit the fleeing perp with this hotshot scene (the former being one of my favourite bits of the script, so a bit disappointed about that), but I slightly recall there being a choice of death or the cubes for somebody early on. I can't remember too well though, anyone know?[/spoiler]

I also [spoiler]liked that scene with Dredd shooting through the woman. I hope it's still in the movie. Who knows, maybe two guys escape from the van instead of one. And I don't remember Dredd giving someone a life in the cubes or death option in the script.[/spoiler]

As for the 50 million dollar number, this bleedingcool article says

QuoteGarland noted that they'll have a hard time hitting the $50 million with an R-rating

I have to agree. Don't get me wrong, I liked the script, I've always liked the character and I really hope the movie does well, but DREDD seems like a hard sell. It has nothing to do with 'good' or 'bad'. It has everything to do with Hard R "guy movies" not really lighting up the box office anymore. These days, they usually find their audiences on video. The ones that do good business at the box office seem to be nostalgia trips like THE EXPENDABLES and RAMBO. Stuff like Freddy vs. Jason is in a different category because it's a horror movie with two characters that had  built-in fanbases from a ton of previous movies. Dredd doesn't have much of a fanbase in the US. Bring up Dredd and you'll probably get either a "huh?" or "LOL STALLONE" reaction.

It all depends on the marketing, though! Hopefully Lionsgate does a good job in the coming months. Concentrate on the unique visuals and show some of Anderson's backstory so you're not just appealing to a certain male demographic.

Mardroid

Quote from: wadew1 on 08 July, 2012, 03:29:23 PM
Quote from: MR. ELIMINATOR on 08 July, 2012, 01:19:47 PM

I also [spoiler]liked that scene with Dredd shooting through the woman. I hope it's still in the movie. Who knows, maybe two guys escape from the van instead of one. And I don't remember Dredd giving someone a life in the cubes or death option in the script.[/spoiler]

I actually hope that scene has been removed or changed. That's too harsh, even for Dredd. [spoiler]Unless the scene involved creating a non-lethal injury to the woman, then yes, I'd buy it. Killing an innocent to kill a perp though? No. Incidentally I haven't read the script but I have seen a few mild spoilers.[/spoiler]

wadew1

But [spoiler]Dredd doesn't kill the woman. Dredd shoots her through the shoulder and tells the freaked out woman that he hit no vital organs and she's going to be fine.[/spoiler]

MR. ELIMINATOR

[spoiler]Yeah it seemed like such a great scene, and in my opinion would introduce Dredd just fine.[/spoiler]

Stan

Quote from: ED GRIMREAPER on 08 July, 2012, 02:30:30 PM
Well if the sequel is going to be set in the Cursed Earth, please please please have the Land Raider/Kill Dozer in it. That would be sweet!

I was thinking that myself last night, even though I'd become aware they weren't talking about the comic version. It's something to plonk in front of an artist at least.

blackmocco

I liked that scene too but it [spoiler]may have been too reminiscent of Robocop shooting through the victim's dress. "Madam, you have suffered an emotional crisis. I will notify a rape crisis center."[/spoiler]
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Mardroid

Quote from: wadew1 on 08 July, 2012, 04:27:28 PM
But [spoiler]Dredd doesn't kill the woman. Dredd shoots her through the shoulder and tells the freaked out woman that he hit no vital organs and she's going to be fine.[/spoiler]

Fair enough. I didn't know that. I agree that would work.