Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CYCLOPZ

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 09 July, 2012, 12:38:25 AM
Drokkin' too right it's gonna be fine.

So CF, did you see the clip this time?
What did you make of it?

COMMANDO FORCES

I did indeed. I had Karl Urban stood 2ft in front of me and Alex Garland to the left when I watched this sequence.

Without giving anything away, Karl had some excellent weapon drills during the scene, as the Lawgiver was held correctly when he advanced towards the target.
When he manouvered into the firing position, I was impressed with the camera angles, as it showed him with a clear shot on the target, that he had aimed for. This meant that the target would have had to swing its arm outwards to try and get a shot towards Dredd and during this time it would be too late, obviously!

The ending was very Dredd  :thumbsup:

wadew1

I think there's a bit of that scene in the trailer?

Also, I don't know someone already mentioned this, but when you google DREDD it lists the runtime as 2 hours.

wadew1

Actually I don't see the runtime listed anymore? I could have sworn the runtime was listed under the movie title when I did a google search for DREDD today.

MR. ELIMINATOR

Drokkin' too right it's gonna be fine. When you listen to these guys talk about the film and not just on the panels. Me, Steve Green, Albion and dweezil2 had a chat with Alex Garland after the panel and you can feel the love and knowledge of the character with what he (and they) said!

I can't wait to read the feedback from those lucky buggers over at SDCC.

But they ain't got one of these though  ;)

Nice!

shaolin_monkey

After checking out all the various shots of you in uniform I am now absolutely desperate to get mine!  Dan has said mine might be ready by end of July.  I pray it turns up before my hols!

COMMANDO FORCES

Beaky Smoochies

Quote from: darnmarr on 09 July, 2012, 12:17:29 AM
Indeed. Well then, here's hoping, and even if not- perhaps the rest of the film will make up for it.

Pete's sake, danmarr dude,
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

Beaky Smoochies

HEY!  This thing posted my comments before I'd finished writing them, what gives?  Let's try that again, shall we...

Indeed. Well then, here's hoping, and even if not- perhaps the rest of the film will make up for it.

Pete's sake, danmarr dude, you haven't even seen the finished film yet, never mind said clip, and it almost sounds like you're writing it off..."perhaps the rest of the film will make up for it" (?), the WHOLE FILM is going to rock, ROCK I tells ya, and I have no doubt it will hit the $50m mark in the U.S., if audience reaction to the preview screenings are anything to go by, we might be ultimately surprised (pleasantly so) at just how well it does at the box-office worldwide, strong word-of-mouth can give even the most niche genre project real momentum.
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

dweezil2

Drokkin' too right it's gonna be fine. When you listen to these guys talk about the film and not just on the panels. Me, Steve Green, Albion and dweezil2 had a chat with Alex Garland after the panel and you can feel the love and knowledge of the character with what he (and they) said!

I can't wait to read the feedback from those lucky buggers over at SDCC.

But they ain't got one of these though  ;)

I can only echo Judge Burdis' sentiments!

It was a absolute delight to meet Steve Green, Albion and of course the mighty Commando Forces at the event!

The wife and I had a fantastic time!

Equally great was the signing session with Karl Urban, who was an absoulute gent and assured me that the film was "sick" (slang for awesome for those unfamiliar with the term) and after I expressed that the trailer was f-ing great and that he must please commit to a sequel, he told me to spread the word and get all my mates to see it-which I assured him I would!

The panel later in the day was almost ubearably exciting, with the promise of a new clip from the film and it absolutely did not dissapoint.
Here was Dredd distilled on film like never before and it was to confirm, if that hadn't already been done by the trailer, that Urban has completely and utterly succeeded  in his representation of the character.
Earlier in the Q+A he had likened Dredd as a panther stalking his prey and this was evident as Dredd seemed to almost glide into shot, ready to dispatch a particularly nasty perp.
A great moment and even on the rather crappy monitor provided at the venue, was enough to emphasise  that Dredd is beautifully shot and will look stunning! Hotshot indeed.

Ther audience Q+A was a real mixed bag, with one attendee seeming to bemoan the new uniform design. Alex Garland diplomatically answered be explaining that it was necessary to enable Dredd to perform the kind of movement he would need to in his daily work of judging, and the wider shoulder pads in the comic and the '95 film would make movement like rolling impossible as huge chunks of the eagle would be snapped off or snagged on curtains!
He also jokingly said that at least he wasn't asked about the vans!

One other attendee also seemed to find it hard to grasp that Dredd is not a superhero and went on rather awkwardly to ask why Dredd doesn't have an alter ego like Spiderman/Peter Parker and Batman/Bruce Wayne. While the person who asked the question obviously misses the point of Dredd entirely, Alex Garland was quick to reiterate that Dredd wasn't a superhero but just a damn good cop and that any emotional turmoil Dredd felt was intenalised and Karl Urban also likened Dredd to the firefighters on 9/11. People who would enter a building while other were doing their best to leave.

After the panel Alex Garland stood and chatted with us board members and it was great to hear that potential sequels are in the bag and he was very supportive of the Minty project that Steve G is envolved in!
It was also fascinating to hear the challenges of digital 3D film making and how unlike film, a lot of panning shots and zooms are created post production these days.

Alex and the rest of the panel are obviously very passionate about the project and getting Dredd right this time and nothing I heard or saw at the panel brings into doubt that they have succeeded.

Special mention to John (Commando Forces) who tirelessly wore his uniform all day on the Sunday I attended, promoted the character and the film with photo opportunities and posing with visitors!

Your thanks are well deserved John!  ;)

And then the mighty Faith No More in the evening, with Albion in attendance!

What a day!  :D
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

darnmarr

Quote from: Beaky Smoochies on 09 July, 2012, 06:27:35 AM

Pete's sake, danmarr dude, you haven't even seen the finished film yet, never mind said clip, and it almost sounds like you're writing it off..."perhaps the rest of the film will make up for it" (?), the WHOLE FILM is going to rock, ROCK I tells ya...
Yup, I agree with you and I'm daily increasing in optimism: unfortunately tone and context aren't always as clear as one would like on a discussion thread though.
So for clarification, I reckon Joe's misgivings (about how this one scene plays out) are perfectly valid, and because of that, I wouldn't mind if, in the end, the scene was shot or re-edited before release... but even if it aint, I still anticipate a film that is so excellent as a  whole that minor niggles about individual scenes will pale into utter insigificance.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: darnmarr on 09 July, 2012, 12:08:47 PM
So for clarification, I reckon Joe's misgivings (about how this one scene plays out) are perfectly valid, and because of that, I wouldn't mind if, in the end, the scene was shot or re-edited before release...

I think this point needs clarifying: the scene has all ready been re-shot since last December and it was this re-shot scene that was shown at the con. I was commenting on how the scene played in the script that was similar to RoboCop not what they've reshot, so I've no misgivings. The film has been complete these last few months.

radiator

From SFX.co.uk:

Dredd scriptwriter Alex Garland has revealed that the film needs to earn at least £50 million at the box office in the US to make a sequel possible (which seems perfectly achievable if you ask us).

...if the reports we've heard from people who've already seen the film are true, the film should blast through the $50 million barrier. There's a really good buzz about this one...

http://www.sfx.co.uk/2012/07/09/what-dredd-needs-to-earn-to-make-sequels-possible-and-what-we-might-see-in-them/

I'm on the fence. $50m doesn't sound like that much, relatively speaking, but what do we expect DREDD's opening US weekend to be? I'm anticipating less than half that. I guess it all comes down to word of mouth and critical reception. DREDD ain't gonna be a big opening weekend smash - but it could stick around in the charts to become a bit of a slow burn success - if word of mouth is positive...

dracula1

Had a chat to my mate at work whose a big, big cult movie fan and very up on his film knowledge. When I asked him if he was aware of the up and coming Dredd movie I got a blank puzzled look in return. He knew zero unfortunately. So I pointed him in the direction of the relevant site(s) / trailer and I'm sure when he cottons on it's there it will leave the desired positive first impression.

darnmarr

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 09 July, 2012, 12:36:08 PM
Quote from: darnmarr on 09 July, 2012, 12:08:47 PM
... I wouldn't mind if, in the end, the scene was shot or re-edited before release...
I think this point needs clarifying: the scene has all ready been re-shot since last December and it was this re-shot scene that was shown at the con. ... I've no misgivings. The film has been complete these last few months.

Oh. I do feel like an idiot then...sorry everybod.