Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ming

Seeing Twitter comments along the lines of 'very violent, with dark humour; Crank meets The Raid' are wonderful to see.  Seems the buzz for this is just growing and growing...

:)

JOE SOAP

There's also a fair amount of black humor surrounding Mega-City One's poverty and familiarity with blood, although Dredd doesn't always feel the need to zoom in on the joke.

Goaty

Quote from: CraveNoir on 12 July, 2012, 10:50:11 AM
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/07/12/i-went-to-see-dredd-last-night-and-i-want-to-tell-you-about-it/

Well done production!

The production design of the film is, to a very large extent, extremely naturalistic. While Mega-City One was conceived and portrayed as being American, at least wherever the comic has to give specific bearing, the components of Mega city life, and the elements being satirised and lampooned, were often particularly British. Again, the cityscapes of Dredd on the big screen seemed English to me. These images of masked, hooded rioters seemed to come from the BBC news archive, not CNN. It's much more Children of Men than I Am Legend.

Beeks

Quote from: radiator on 12 July, 2012, 10:48:26 AM
io9 like it:

QuoteDredd is, first and foremost, though, an action movie, a self-contained sequence of events that comes to simple and satisfying ending. It does not force its Judges to confront any larger truths about their function in society

Hey, that's what sequels are for...

http://io9.com/5925364/dredd-is-a-brutal-action-flick-with-both-a-high-body-count-and-a-brain

I like that review!
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

DeFuzzed

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 12 July, 2012, 10:50:00 AM
I haven't seen one 'helmet too big' comment yet. Just goes to show that it was always nonsense.

*cringes* - you just had to tempt fate, didn't you?

radiator

QuoteI haven't seen one 'helmet too big' comment yet. Just goes to show that it was always nonsense.

It was never nonsense - unless you think that there's nothing at all funny/strange about this particular, unfortunate shot:

radiator

QuoteThe decision to leave the helmet on for the entire film works -- the character of Dredd is held purposely at a distance from the audience. We see him very much from the perspective of Anderson – a forbidding examiner. When Dredd first meets Anderson, [spoiler]she's asked to read Dredd's mind to demonstrate the extent of her impressive psychic abilities. Her description broadly sketches out the character of Dredd, but as she is about to unearth his hidden motivations, the Chief Justice cuts her off. It hints at a deeper character that you know is there -- you feel it -- but it's intentionally kept obscured.[/spoiler] The decision to keep the helmet on for the entire movie underscores his character. You know there's something there, but it's ambiguous; purposely obscured.

JOE SOAP

Best bit in that review:

The decision to leave the helmet on for the entire film works -- the character of Dredd is held purposely at a distance from the audience. We see him very much from the perspective of Anderson – a forbidding examiner. [spoiler]When Dredd first meets Anderson, she's asked to read Dredd's mind to demonstrate the extent of her impressive psychic abilities. Her description broadly sketches out the character of Dredd, but as she is about to unearth his hidden motivations, the Chief Justice cuts her off. [/spoiler] It hints at a deeper character that you know is there -- you feel it -- but it's intentionally kept obscured. The decision to keep the helmet on for the entire movie underscores his character. You know there's something there, but it's ambiguous; purposely obscured.

JOE SOAP

JOE SOAP

Quote from: radiator on 12 July, 2012, 11:01:04 AM
It was never nonsense - unless you think that there's nothing at all funny/strange about this particular, unfortunate shot:

It's nonsense outside of context.

Beeks

"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

radiator

QuoteThe new Judge Dredd movie is a gripping character study that's fuelled by action and violence.

That'll do, pig.

TordelBack

Well this is all enormously heartening, I must say. 

Beeks

Has Blackmocco posted about it on here yet?