Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeFuzzed

Happy for you, blackmocco, while dying of envy.

That full Empire review takes the prize for most mentions of the Raid in a Dredd review. Ho hum.

Personally, the sheer fact it's not the Raid is fanf*ckingtastic in my book, since I didn't see that because I had had it up to here with martial arts movies. I love Jackie and Jet and when they were beginning to bore me, making me yell "just put him down already, Jesus H!" I knew I had to step away before my love for them was forever tainted... anyway! Back to the point! =

Anyone seen both now? I'd love to hear your opinion on it all. I promise not to leap down your throat if Dredd suffers in comparison for you, since the fact it's Dredd on top of all I'm hearing from the reviews puts it tops for me. As always, just curious.

blackmocco

Oy, I'm fucking wrecked. Left Los Angeles yesterday at 2.30. Drive to San Diego's usually about 2 and 1/2 hours. 129 miles. Twenty miles out from SD and it all went to hell. Took two hours stuck in the worst rush hour/"we're going to Comic-Con and don't know where we're going!" traffic imaginable. Wanted to cry.

Parked the car, pint of Guinness, straight to the theater and stood in line. Had horrible visions of not getting in again when I saw the line wrapped up the street and around the block. Met someone who'd won through Rebellion as well and flown in from New Zealand in his home-made Dredd costume (the only one!). Rolled in.

Karl and Olivia presented the movie. I went fucking mad. Michael VK's in the credits. The movie is chock full of nods to the comic. [spoiler]Chopper's very prominently displayed as is Kenny Who?[/spoiler] I'm sure there's loads more but would need to see it a bunch of times to reference everything.

Had a discussion regarding with some saddo who told me the biggest problem with the movie is that "Dredd's not really much of a character, is he...?" Michael Keaton was the greatest Batman as well, apparently. Couldn't listen to his shite anymore.

Myself, my friend and New Zealand Rebellion winner and his brother went for numerous pints of Guinness and raved about movie. Got to bed at 3am. got up at 7. Drove the 129 miles to the FG offices and here I am.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: blackmocco on 12 July, 2012, 08:28:19 PM
Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 12 July, 2012, 08:25:33 PM
Great news Blackmocco, glad you had a blast. Where you in those pictures that were tweeted, one showing the queue and one showing the audience?

Yep CF. I'm in front with the Mortis shirt. I'm very handsome.
So pleased you ended up a VIP after what happened last time, great news.
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

Mark Taylor

Quote from: DeFuzzed on 12 July, 2012, 09:11:35 PMThat full Empire review takes the prize for most mentions of the Raid in a Dredd review. Ho hum.

Haven't seen The Raid and although it seems interesting I'm definitely not going to see it now until after I have seen Dredd at least a couple of times. I just don't want to compromise the experience of watching Dredd by comparing it to some other movie along the way. Luckily I won't have to compare it to "Stallone '95" because from everything I've heard there simply is no comparison. Yay to that.

Pete Wells

Blackmocco, I could frigggin' kiss ya!

What an amazing day to be a Dredd fan!

Zarjazzer

Quote from: blackmocco on 12 July, 2012, 09:13:14 PM

, pint of Guinness, .

This is the important bit.

Congrats on finally seeing the movie and telling your internet chums all about it. It sounds fab! Go Dreddy!  :thumbsup:
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

ming

Quote from: blackmocco on 12 July, 2012, 09:13:14 PMThe movie is chock full of nods to the comic. [spoiler]Chopper's very prominently displayed as is Kenny Who?[/spoiler] I'm sure there's loads more but would need to see it a bunch of times to reference everything.

I'm guessing that [spoiler]Chopper features via scrawls, rather than making a physical appearance; is that the same for Kenny Who?[/spoiler]

And yes, watching this a bunch of times will be required - not a problem!

JOE SOAP

Those names/symbols appeared in the old set photos.

Goaty

Quote from: blackmocco on 12 July, 2012, 08:16:45 PMShook hands with The Urban as he left as well. Told him it was fucking awesome and I'd been waiting a long time for this. He told me he'd made the movie just for me. Great guy. He must be very proud of this.

That's why Urban is best person to be Judge Dredd! What a man!

Glenn Broadway

I'm just off on holiday for ten days, and I may not have an Internet connection. Just wondering if you all wouldn't mind not posting anything on this thread until Monday after next, so that I don't have to trawl through hundreds of posts to catch up. No? Oh well, worth asking...

Goaty

Life too short, this is the forum!

dweezil2

Just back from work and nothing more to add other than Holy fucking shit! Great news!

I'm uncontrollably excited!  :D

September please hurry up!
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Stan

Quote from: Glenn Broadway on 12 July, 2012, 10:09:12 PM
I'm just off on holiday for ten days, and I may not have an Internet connection. Just wondering if you all wouldn't mind not posting anything on this thread until Monday after next, so that I don't have to trawl through hundreds of posts to catch up. No? Oh well, worth asking...

I can't promise we'll try, but we promise to try to try.

This post doesn't count.

Kowalsky (formerly JudgeGumpty)

I'm just reading up on some of the news reporting mainly from those who havent a grounding in DREDD and as reported here earlier its all very positive.

http://www.craveonline.com/film/reviews/192005-comic-con-2012-review-dredd-3d

QuoteUrban is a modern day Clint Eastwood here.

QuoteDredd hits that perfect sweet spot of filmmakers isolating an audience and totally serving that audience. I hope sci-fi fans will appreciate this as a throwback, an homage or just damn awesome.
Never rub another mans rhubarb

Mark Taylor

Quote from: Stan on 12 July, 2012, 10:32:55 PMI can't promise we'll try, but we promise to try to try.

I promise not to try at all.