Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Wells

Bu... Wha? Gibber!

I'm stunned. Simply brilliant!

TordelBack

Beaky Smoochies

Anyone a little disappointed about the supposed 96-minute running time, or is it about right for a tight and focused Dredd movie?  I actually thought it would be closer to 106 minutes - mostly because the leaked script was about 110 pages in length - but I'm fine with it as the film is going to ROCK, so whatever!  Will say one thing though, and no-one's brought this up yet, but Dredd is exactly  the same length as the 1995 debacle, a coincidence or supreme irony...!?
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

blackmocco

Quote from: Beaky Smoochies on 13 July, 2012, 07:16:42 AM
Anyone a little disappointed about the supposed 96-minute running time, or is it about right for a tight and focused Dredd movie?  I actually thought it would be closer to 106 minutes - mostly because the leaked script was about 110 pages in length - but I'm fine with it as the film is going to ROCK, so whatever!  Will say one thing though, and no-one's brought this up yet, but Dredd is exactly  the same length as the 1995 debacle, a coincidence or supreme irony...!?

That's about the only thing they have in common...
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Beaky Smoochies

... and thank drokk for that!!!
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

Beaky Smoochies

Hey blackmocco dude, as someone who's actually seen Dredd, did it feel short or about right to you?

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: PreacherCain on 13 July, 2012, 02:17:34 AM
Interview was posted already (http://badassdigest.com/2012/07/12/comic-con-2012-karl-urban-talks-dredd-and-abrams/) but I quite like this bit, even with the silly mistake at the start...

QuoteThe "hard story" is that one day while shooting in Cape Town, Urban heard a "high-pitched scream, this raspy noise" like nothing he'd ever heard before. A man, fully engulfed in flames, fled onto the set because he saw the on-set ambulance. He didn't work on the film, but he was working on a generator nearby when there was an accident. All of the crew stopped what they were doing and put out the flames and administered to the man, but he died that day at the shoot.

I'm surprised we hadn't heard that before. That's a strange one...particularly odd this morning for me as I've been working on a number of burning people running through frames for an upcoming Dredd Zarjaz story.

That poor man. How fucking sad is that.
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

PreacherCain

Personally I prefer action films to be shorter. There's usually no real need for films like Transformers or Spider-Man to be pushing 2 1/2 hours. It's ridiculous. In my opinion Nolan's The Dark Knight is one of the few films that earned its running time. Avengers and many, many others would have been improved with a reduced running time. A couple of the criticisms I've read of Dredd say it lags in the middle a bit so maybe it could lose another few minutes  :D

100 mins is generally the average length of films anyway. Evil Dead II is 88 minutes and that's damn near perfect.

radiator

Yep, 96 mins is spot on for me, and it totally suits the 80s vibe they are going for.

dweezil2

No excess flab, just like Dredd himself!
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

DeFuzzed

A quick trawl through twitter and it's amusing how a lot of the reactions are stunned ones. Dredd good?!! *g*

Anyway, I echo the guy above who thanked y'all for a brilliant day here yesterday. Hand on heart, never had such a good time by, technically, myself. Thanks, all :)

Goaty

Oi! where the link gone? Sorry as look for it and found youtube link

http://youtu.be/g8lMmRe6Z44

Michaelvk

Quote from: Pete Wells on 13 July, 2012, 06:37:46 AM

Gibber!

Whoah! I haven't seen that since when I used to read the Beano!
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

Spaceghost

Wow. That is fantastic. Brutal, visceral, relentless. It might be too early to say this, but I'm saying it anyway.

Dredd is going to be MASSIVE.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Psidude

just read the empire dredd review sounds like a good solid film cant wait a dredd right from the comic to the big screen come on sep :D