Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danbo

Same story over at CBM.

Great news and well deserved.
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

Molch-R

I don't wish to be a party pooper, but I'm noticing a glut of slightly overoptimistic speculation here. This, in turn, is being reported as 'fact' elsewhere by those who've not yet grasped the nature of this section of the messageboard. Rumour control, people...

Fisticuffs

Don't listen to Partypoope-R, revel in gleeful ignorant optimism like me! :D

radiator

I'm just chuffed that a quality movie is finding it's audience.

I've long ago come to terms with the fact there won't be a sequel.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Fisticuffs on 22 January, 2013, 04:50:14 PM
'Sales tracking currently includes only the DVD versions of the movie. Blu-ray sales are not included at this time.'

Since 48% of Dredd's sales were blu-ray that would amount to almost an equal amount of blu-rays sold as DVDs.

Rusty

Quote from: radiator on 22 January, 2013, 04:59:51 PM
I'm just chuffed that a quality movie is finding it's audience.

I've long ago come to terms with the fact there won't be a sequel.
Pretty much the same way I feel. You never know, though: good home sales, and a significant cult following and reputation could see a sequel green lit. It is entirely possible. We've seen lesser renowned, and poorer quality films with similar box office results as Dredd get a sequel relatively quickly. I wouldn't completely rule it out. Those sales are encouraging, though (if indeed they are accurate of course).

Molch-R

I have a horrid feeling I'm just going to end up repeating myself in a horrific feedback loop, not unlike Groundhog Day but with the only release from the torture being the kiss of sweet, sweet death.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Rusty on 22 January, 2013, 04:44:13 PM
I'm calling it now: if we continue to see those kinds of sales figures and Dredd remains a steady seller, then we will be getting a sequel. It just needs to maintain making money and earning a good reputation.
Just like Serenity!

Oh.

Rusty

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 22 January, 2013, 05:34:51 PM
Quote from: Rusty on 22 January, 2013, 04:44:13 PM
I'm calling it now: if we continue to see those kinds of sales figures and Dredd remains a steady seller, then we will be getting a sequel. It just needs to maintain making money and earning a good reputation.
Just like Serenity!

Oh.
Serenity was a bit different, though. Started off as a TV show that was shamefully axed, but it's creator made a film for the fans to tie up all the loose ends for them. I don't think Serenity was made with sequels in mind anyway. If anything, a continuation of the TV show would be what the fans really wanted for it.

Rusty

Anyway, change of subject. The subject is now Karl's chin, which many doubted. Look at this: perfect Joe Dredd chin, no?

Steve Green

You know there's that time of the year where new words are listed in the OED?

Maybe they should banish one at the same time... Sequel might be a good one this time around.

Trout

There is no sequel. No sequel will happen. No sequel.

Films are for making money. The Dredd film failed. There will be no sequel because people who invest in films now have proof that such an investment would be foolish.

To put it another way: there will be no sequel.

To sum up: there will be no sequel.

Sorry about that.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Supermarine Troutfire on 22 January, 2013, 05:45:39 PM

So, to paraphrase: DVD/Bluray sales are so good that even now Alex Garland is CGing out the shitty vans from the theatrical print ahead of a cinema re-release while he starts work on the first of five sequels, shot back to back, pausing only to act as executive producer on a new HBO Dredd series premiering in spring 2014.

Is that a fair summary?

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

COMMANDO FORCES

Don't listen to those moaners who say a sequel will never happen, let them live in their shadow filled world of negativity. Live in hope my fellow fans!

By the way, is it called a sequel if the next film comes out in 2029

Trout

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 22 January, 2013, 05:51:12 PM
Quote from: Supermarine Troutfire on 22 January, 2013, 05:45:39 PM

So, to paraphrase: DVD/Bluray sales are so good that even now Alex Garland is CGing out the shitty vans from the theatrical print ahead of a cinema re-release while he starts work on the first of five sequels, shot back to back, pausing only to act as executive producer on a new HBO Dredd series premiering in spring 2014.

Is that a fair summary?

Cheers!

Jim

News sites: Jim is joking. DO NOT QUOTE HIM.