Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Quote from: PreacherCain on 02 February, 2013, 07:35:33 PMI think they should have released more 2D prints
Definitely at the tail. There was clearly a demand, and it could have secured the film a longer run on smaller 2D screens while 3D ones were used for newer movies. Still, what's done is done. At least the film appears to be doing well on shiny disc, and reaching an audience. It's moved from "box office bomb" to "box office bomb that found its audience in the home", which is more or less what Urban seemed to hint would happen all along. Smart guy.

Frank

Quote from: RicheyJ on 03 February, 2013, 02:20:02 AM
There seem to be high hopes about the film doing well in Japan, but I have to say that from the evidence I've seen its release here is unlikely to add much to the numbers ... Dredd will only be shown at 20 cinemas nationwide (out of 3,000 screens). I got advance tickets for me and my friends at a cinema in Tokyo yesterday ... I had a quick look at the booklet of advance tickets the woman had and it looked like they'd already sold a fair few - possibly 25 or so. ...

I had a few beers with a few Japanese mates and acquaintances later that day and did a quick survey of whether they'd heard anything about the film. None of them had heard of it except for one bloke who's quite a film buff anyway. He said he saw a trailer for it at the cinema the other day. I asked for his opinion about how it looked and he just said something non-commital like, "I was quite surprised to see that there are films about this kind of hero too." Which seems a polite Japanese way of saying he probably won't go and see it. :'( I guess my conclusion is that I wouldn't expect too much of the Japanese box office.

Thanks for posting, Richey. I've heard everything's much more expensive in Japan, any chance those tickets were changing hands for $3 million each?

Stan

Quote from: RicheyJ on 03 February, 2013, 02:20:02 AMForeign movies don't tend to make a massive amount here unless they're something like Harry Potter, and Dredd will only be shown at 20 cinemas nationwide (out of 3,000 screens).
Bah. There goes my hope of it making ten zillions in Japan.

It's nice to have a source on the ground though. Welcome to the forum, Richey, and if you have any questions feel free to message Joe Soap!

watto911

Don't know if this has been mentioned but chance to win Dredd props on Slashfilm.
http://www.slashfilm.com/contest-win-two-authentic-props-from-dredd-3d/#more-159206
I'm drowning my sorrows, but my sorrows, they've learned to swim

COMMANDO FORCES

Nice find, might as well give it a go ;)

Hawkmumbler

COMMANDO FORCES

Just choosing a picture now ;)

Fisticuffs

Well that's that won then, no point entering. :D

Bubba Zebill

...anyone happen to notice how Ezquerra-like that visage is when reflected in the rough glass of the monitor of the 'well you got one now' scene? ....pure scowl.
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

Muon

Quote from: sauchie on 03 February, 2013, 05:42:20 PM

Thanks for posting, Richey. I've heard everything's much more expensive in Japan, any chance those tickets were changing hands for $3 million each?
Actually, it is pretty expensive in Japan, especially with the strong yen. Cinema tickets cost 1,800 yen, and with recent exchange rates that's over $20. So me and the 25 others who bought advance tickets have already earned the film over $10,000!

Muon

Quote from: RicheyJ on 04 February, 2013, 12:36:35 AM
Quote from: sauchie on 03 February, 2013, 05:42:20 PM

Actually, it is pretty expensive in Japan, especially with the strong yen. Cinema tickets cost 1,800 yen, and with recent exchange rates that's over $20. So me and the 25 others who bought advance tickets have already earned the film over $10,000!

OK, make that $500, but it's a start.

MercZ

Quote from: RicheyJ on 03 February, 2013, 02:20:02 AM
None of them had heard of it except for one bloke who's quite a film buff anyway. He said he saw a trailer for it at the cinema the other day. I asked for his opinion about how it looked and he just said something non-commital like, "I was quite surprised to see that there are films about this kind of hero too." Which seems a polite Japanese way of saying he probably won't go and see it. :'(

Did he mean that in the sense that he read Dredd straight as a brutal law-enforcement guy?

Muon

Quote from: MercZ on 05 February, 2013, 05:25:19 AM
Did he mean that in the sense that he read Dredd straight as a brutal law-enforcement guy?

Possibly - I guess that's the only impression you would get from the trailer if you don't know the source material. One thing is that the Japanese promotional material prominently uses the word "hero", possibly giving inaccurate connotations of a more straightforward, Superman-like character. Another thing is that he was clearly being polite and trying to give me some kind of reaction despite not being particularly interested in the film. Probably a bit like someone asking me what I thought of the trailer for "Les Miserables" and me saying "I was quite surprised to see Russell Crowe sings in it", all the while thinking "that looks like a pile of shite"  :P

Goaty

Bloody awesome!

Tonight after finishing work, there were old magazines in work kitchen, I pick one up for bus journey. it was last Sunday's Mail On Sunday's Live magazine. As enjoy read about new gadgets etc... but notice there was BAFTAs special pages, with interviews of British film actors/actresses and their roles and their choice of best film... many choices

Nick Frost is in it, and what his choice of best film?

BEST FILM 'Dredd. I've been waiting for 30 years for someone to attempt a successful version of the 2000 AD comic strip and I can happily tell my ten-year-old self that they did it. Fantastic. I loved it.'

Nice to know that! :)

COMMANDO FORCES

Quote from: watto911 on 03 February, 2013, 08:38:04 PM
Don't know if this has been mentioned but chance to win Dredd props on Slashfilm.
http://www.slashfilm.com/contest-win-two-authentic-props-from-dredd-3d/#more-159206

Just had an email back from the competition and guess what folks

I DROKKIN' WON

I actually feel light headed  :'(