Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Beadle68 on 24 May, 2013, 11:53:28 PM
Think a sequel could turn a tidy profit if they strike while the irons hot and keep the exposure going and this time market it better.

Well even if it were to happen it wouldn't be out for another 3-4 years, maybe more, and Alex garland is working on his next film, Ex Machina.

radiator

Looks like Mr Flint to me.

Stan

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 25 May, 2013, 12:02:24 AM
Think a sequel could turn a tidy profit if they strike while the irons hot and keep the exposure going and this time market it better.

Well even if it were to happen it wouldn't be out for another 3-4 years, maybe more, and Alex garland is working on his next film, Ex Machina.

And Urban's got Star Trek III: The Search for Pike.

Probably.

Bat King

In case you aren't reading the 'Petition' thread. A few thoughts on Dredd sequel request.

http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/2013/05/24/want-a-sequel-to-alex-garlands-dredd/
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

The Sherman Kid

Just how much of a positive 'blowback' (for want of a better word) could a solid sequel do for the first film in any franchise ie what would the uplift be for the first film if the second has success.

Something else for the powers that be to consider (maybe a 20/25% spike long term on DVD/Blueray sales?)

Dredd 2 would have a wider backing prior to its release than the first given the sheer number of new converts to the cause.Given the same budget its looking less and less of a risk by the day........IMHO.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 25 May, 2013, 02:23:26 AM
Just how much of a positive 'blowback' (for want of a better word) could a solid sequel do for the first film in any franchise ie what would the uplift be for the first film if the second has success.

Something else for the powers that be to consider (maybe a 20/25% spike long term on DVD/Blueray sales?)

The mere rumour of a sequel is doing that all ready.

Beadle68

3-4 years is better than 15 joe  :)

Bat King

3 to 4 years would be acceptable aye.

With luck filming of two back to back with releases in 2016 & 2018 say... that'd be VERY cool. OK, getting very ahead of one's self... But no harm hoping.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Beadle68

Agree with Bat King filming 2 back to back makes financial sense although it would tie all involved up for a lengthy period.

SKD

I'd say that the page was one of Henry Flints, it has his 'scratchiness' to it. I am a little disapointed that Dredd's face in the page looks like comic book Dredd in a movie uniform, as opposed to movie Dredd's face (Karl) in comic book form. Though I suppose this has something to do with getting permission for the use of Mr Urban's likeness. Still, I'm very much looking forward to this sequel. 
As Beadle68 says "3-4 years is better than 15" and filming Dredd 2 & 3 back to back would be the dream news that I'm sure we all long for.

Stew. (The ever hopeful)     

Noisybast

Whoever it is, they're channeling the mighty Ron Smith with the buildings in that first panel.
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

IAMTHESYSTEM

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 25 May, 2013, 12:02:24 AM

Is there a chance of a sequel after all? Great! Ex Machina? Not Deux Ex Machina the cyberpunk game by any chance?
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Goaty

I like that someone tweet;

Star Trek is about a brighter future, coming together and all that. Dredd is about how horrible and cruel the future is.

MattJW

Not a bad comparison, though when reading Dredd as a kid, I found much about the strip incredibly fun and whacky. That's the beauty of Dredd - barmy entertainment against a grim backdrop.

radiator

It'll be interesting to see how Kick-Ass 2 does theatrically with regards a hypothetical/improbable Dredd sequels prospects. After getting massive pre-release buzz and a big publicity push, the first one was considered, if not an outright flop, then a huge financial disappointment for Lionsgate (though it should be noted still made a buttload more cash than Dredd did).

However it eventually got a sequel - presumably off the back of healthy DVD and rental sales. Will the cult status and larger installed audience mean that this one will be a hit - in the same way that the Austin Powers franchise only became a mainstream $100m box office phenomenon after the first film took off on video?