Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IAMTHESYSTEM

There won't be another DREDD Movie for the foreseeable future. It's  sad kitten but that's that.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Hawkmumbler

MR. ELIMINATOR

It would be cool to have some sort of official or more in the know word on what would need to happen for Dredd 2 to be possible. Like an accurate account of how much the film has made to date, and the whole distribution rights problem would be interesting to hear more on.

ZenArcade

I believe there should be a new movie, the fact that as it stands it may not happen soon won't negate that belief. What the money in LA/NY/London does is way beyond what I, as an individual, can influence or for that matter actualise. All I can aim for is collective pressure through like minded people, continually advocating and propogandising for the movie. It doesn't matter how unacheivable the goal may seem now....that isn't the point. You all must simply have belief and a purposive drive and it will happen. These things will be obtained through belief, intelligent focus and drive. Don't drop your heads or lie on your bellies; simply keep on agitqating as you have been and this will happen. Even if it does not, you'll be better as individuals and as a group for having the imigination and bravery for attempting it. Sorry for the agitprop Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

8-Ball

When it comes to the likelihood of a DREDD sequel I am reminded of the quote by the poet Robert Downing,
"Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?"

Until the great Grud herself comes down and says that a sequel is never gonna happen I intend to speculate on potential casting, characters, settings and plots until the cows are called in for their tea. It's all part of having an imagination.

However, there is a special level of Hell reserved for people who get people's hopes up by creating false rumours about apparently definite developments.
Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.

IndigoPrime

Quite. It's all very well to have some hope, and to be happy with the strong (if not stellar) shiny disc sales. But "hey, I've heard that an announcement is coming" isn't helpful to anyone.

As for what would need to happen, beyond figuring out how to untangle the distribution rights, you essentially need someone or a group of someones to take a massive punt on a ~$30–$80m sequel to a film that totally bombed at the box office, and then did comparatively well in the home market. Despite the quality of Dredd, that's a massive, massive ask, especially if you don't want the series to compromise (i.e. attempt to gain a wider audience through 'friendlier' ratings).

Is there any recent precedent at all for this in cinema?

EDIT: On DVDs, there's a big reality check if you check out the stats over at The Numbers for DVD and Blu-Ray. There, Dredd appears to have taken in a respectable $17m or so in shiny discs, but it's down in the 50s and 60s in terms of charting. For the type of film it is, that's pretty good, but I suspect it would have had to do Iron Man 3-style numbers to truly make studio execs sit up and take notice.

Teivion

Theres a market for anything, if you have a willing audience.

No studio would now expect Iron Man ratings, nor input the kind of money needed to get there, so a movie is a way away sadly.

Personally, I could see Dredd working well on a TV/ Cable/ Netflix way.
Id have thought raising budget for a TV based pilot- (with or without Karl) would be possible, the real world look DNA gave the film will work in its favour here, and TV Cop shows have basically always scored well in ratings.

CSi MegaCity One anyone ?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Teivion on 13 March, 2014, 11:10:53 AM
Id have thought raising budget for a TV based pilot- (with or without Karl) would be possible, the real world look DNA gave the film will work in its favour here, and TV Cop shows have basically always scored well in ratings.

Ratings for the distinctly proto-Dredd-ish Almost Human don't back that assertion up, I'm afraid.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Also the 'problem' of the psychic Anderson comes in too. Why watch a TV show when one of the main characters can solve the case Sherlock style just by touching something? Not much drama there. Dredd is still too unknown in the USA I think and Sci Fi is always expensive so it will be no no to TV.

The Comic is still where Judge Dredd lives and breathes the best so we'll have to settle for that for the moment. 
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

TordelBack

If they can't turn a worthwhile profit on all-ages highly-merchandised Clone Wars, spinning off from a franchise worth $4 Billion in box office alone, and have to dump a whole season on Netflix in one go, you have to wonder about the viability of a Dredd TV series.

8-Ball

Quote from: TordelBack on 13 March, 2014, 12:15:19 PM
If they can't turn a worthwhile profit on all-ages highly-merchandised Clone Wars, spinning off from a franchise worth $4 Billion in box office alone, and have to dump a whole season on Netflix in one go, you have to wonder about the viability of a Dredd TV series.

I was under the impression that Disney doesn't have any real interest in the prequel movies are more focused on producing stuff directly tied into the original trilogy. Vader = Good. Annakin = Bad.
Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.

Steve Green

I thought it was more a case of sweeping away a lot of projects which had started development before the buy-out, including games and other TV shows.

TordelBack

Quote from: Steve Green on 13 March, 2014, 01:13:59 PM
I thought it was more a case of sweeping away a lot of projects which had started development before the buy-out, including games and other TV shows.

I'm sure that's the big factor, but there are no SW shows or films about at the mo, Rebels doesn't debut until the Fall Autumn, and Episode VII until December 2015.  If there was ad money in airing it, surely it'd be on 'regular' TV?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: TordelBack on 13 March, 2014, 01:18:01 PM
If there was ad money in airing it, surely it'd be on 'regular' TV?

I have a suspicion there might be a legal bag of hurt incoming from Cartoon Network if they tried that...

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 13 March, 2014, 01:19:21 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 13 March, 2014, 01:18:01 PM
If there was ad money in airing it, surely it'd be on 'regular' TV?

I have a suspicion there might be a legal bag of hurt incoming from Cartoon Network if they tried that...

Explain, please!