Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

Hmmm.

I don't doubt Urban's sincerity, but tbh now that Garland has categorically ruled himself (and by the sounds of it the entire production crew of the original) out of any potential further involvement with the 'franchise' I'm more than a little anxious about any attempt to make a non-DNA sequel. Would be devastating if, after all the hype and teeth-gnashing, the rights end up in less capable hands and the resulting film turns out to be a dud.

I also can't help but feel that the iron might have gone a bit cold. Even if a sequel started production tomorrow it would be very unlikely to see the light of day before the five-year anniversary of the original's release.

Sorry if that's a bit negative.

Of course, if either one of the 'organisations' he's alluding to is Netflix or HBO then I take it all back.  ;)

Bat King

On my listening it sounds like Karl is actually involved in trying to get a Sequel. If so that's cool.

Not holding my breath mind you.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Keef Monkey

Quote from: radiator on 13 May, 2015, 12:13:22 AM
Of course, if either one of the 'organisations' he's alluding to is Netflix or HBO then I take it all back.  ;)

That's my thinking, it seems prime fodder for some sort of Netflix series, possibly a short season to account for the future setting pushing the budget higher than they're probably used to for their shows. The more I think about it the more I think it could really work and would really be the best home for Dredd.

radiator

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 13 May, 2015, 05:27:27 PM
Quote from: radiator on 13 May, 2015, 12:13:22 AM

That's my thinking, it seems prime fodder for some sort of Netflix series, possibly a short season to account for the future setting pushing the budget higher than they're probably used to for their shows. The more I think about it the more I think it could really work and would really be the best home for Dredd.

I remember when the film first came out even Garland casually mentioned how cool an HBO Dredd series would be. At the time I thought it would make for a very good fit - HBO have very much put their stamp on  the police procedural, gangster, War, Western and Fantasy genres, but they've never really done a meaty sci fi series. I believe they've now got a few sci fi projects in development though, so the prospect of them picking up something like Dredd is unlikely.

COMMANDO FORCES

The Zavvi Dredd price is known now and I think many may be put off but you do get a ZBOX Exclusive Limited Edition Numbered ZBOX Keychain.

Oh by the way it's £44.99

Goaty

COMMANDO FORCES

You'll be buying loads, won't you Goaty!

radiator

Zavvi is still listing it as £24.99

COMMANDO FORCES

That's a more reasonable price!

Keef Monkey

Hmmmm £44.99 when I looked. For that price I'd need more info on whether it'll have additional extras. If it's just the same disc in a steelbook then the markup seems a bit much for me to justify the purchase.

Richmond Clements

So, risking this being a stupid question, what is the difference between a steelbook and a conventional dvd/blu-ray? Apart from the fancy box.

Goaty

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 19 May, 2015, 05:39:35 PM
So, risking this being a stupid question, what is the difference between a steelbook and a conventional dvd/blu-ray? Apart from the fancy box.
A fancy box. They're a bit naff IMHO.

COMMANDO FORCES

I think I read somewhere on the page that, if they lower the price, all will pay the lower price.

Steve Green

Metal case - nice enough... hardback vs soft back equivalent really.

The Zbox is some kind of blind item thing I think - in addition to the key ring.

It's a bit vague on details like disc content.