Main Menu

2000AD Original Art Thread

Started by J3D1, 16 May, 2010, 08:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon Beigh

Right - dark-spartan has been filling this thread with lots of juicy art, and whilst I don't think I can out-trump it, I have a rather nice piece that Mr Jackson sold me recently. And I'm as pleased as punch! It is the only double page spread from the AHAB saga drawn by Rich Elson and written by Nigel Kitching.

Here is my attempt at assembling the dps as it appeared in the Prog with the aid of a crappy art program on my Mac:

And here is how it was originally drawn:

I know everyone says that photos don't do it justice - but - the photos don't do it justice. In real life, the pencils alone are glorious.

I'm a big fan of this story, a big fan of Richard Elson's work on this story and I feel very happy indeed!

You can see bigger, better pictures of it all over on my CAF page if you are interested :)

Skullmo

That carpet is lovely - what make is it?
It's a joke. I was joking.

Spikes

Quote from: SimeonB on 17 August, 2013, 07:42:33 PM
I know everyone says that photos don't do it justice - but - the photos don't do it justice. In real life, the pencils alone are glorious.

Great to see the two images side by side, for the art. Its lovely to see the process, isnt it. Good stuff!

Simon Beigh

Quote from: Skullmo on 17 August, 2013, 08:08:03 PM
That carpet is lovely - what make is it?

Oh bloody hell - are you still here? It's the carpet in my office. The while blob at the top is where someone dropped some tippex.

Here we go again... I'm waiting for you all now...

Simon Beigh

Quote from: Judge Jack on 17 August, 2013, 08:15:02 PM

Great to see the two images side by side, for the art. Its lovely to see the process, isnt it. Good stuff!

Yeah - it looks like Rich used any paper that was to hand as well. The large piece is penned on the Waterford 140lb hot press paper he favoured at that time, whilst the A4 and A3 pages seem to be just a regular type of artists paper. It's quite creased in places, so it must have been kept around the office for a bit before being filed.

hippynumber1

Quote from: SimeonB on 17 August, 2013, 08:36:36 PM
Quote from: Judge Jack on 17 August, 2013, 08:15:02 PM

Yeah - it looks like Rich used any paper that was to hand as well. The large piece is penned on the Waterford 140lb hot press paper he favoured at that time, whilst the A4 and A3 pages seem to be just a regular type of artists paper. It's quite creased in places, so it must have been kept around the office for a bit before being filed.

Ah, the John Cooper approach!  :lol:

Simon Beigh

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 17 August, 2013, 09:32:46 PM
Quote from: SimeonB on 17 August, 2013, 08:36:36 PM

Ah, the John Cooper approach!  :lol:

Ah yes indeed. Complete with sketches of other characters from other stories and what appears to be a coffee stain! :D

dark-spartan

I have quite a bit of art like this, on strange paper, corners ripped, phone numbers on the bottom, panels missing.

I mean the very least every artist could do it draw his art on nice 11x17 board marvel style, is that too much to ask, really is it

great art though, love it

hippynumber1

It wouldn't be 2000AD if it was uniform and corporate...  That's one of the many things I love about it!

Simon Beigh

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 19 August, 2013, 09:29:12 AM
It wouldn't be 2000AD if it was uniform and corporate...  That's one of the many things I love about it!

Could agree more with Mr 999 Posts (and where will Mark post his 1000th...). Part of the charm is the mish-mash of papers and materials that go into constructing a page. Nothing beats John Cooper's ink blob explosion on one of his panels that I own. Luckily it didn't go near the art, but it looks like his pen literally exploded :D

hippynumber1

It'll be epic, whatever it is!

hippynumber1

Bubba Zebill

Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

Simon Beigh

Recrewt

Some lovely Rich Elson AHAB there Simeon.  I know from your other posts that you are a big Meg fan - I wonder if the recent Meg reprint is what made this appeal?

Great to have all the pieces of the artwork in that deconstructed way.  Very nice - embrace the chaos!