Main Menu

2000AD Original Art Thread

Started by J3D1, 16 May, 2010, 08:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skullmo

I thought so too! Having a job really holds me back from scouring the web for art all day  :'(
It's a joke. I was joking.

ming

Maybe you could email the usual suspects every Friday to get a list of what everyone's desperately trying to keep under wraps / out of sight of the great unwashed, and then stick it in the podcast.

Personally, I think that just letting people know some useful keywords / areas for eBay searches and letting them get on with it would suffice.  That and a brief overview of CAF and some of the various online sources for original art should be enough to get people started.  If people can use Google, they can find art easily enough, though ;)

I enjoyed the podcast, by the way!

:)

Skullmo

Quote from: ming on 16 May, 2014, 12:29:26 PM
Maybe you could email the usual suspects every Friday to get a list of what everyone's desperately trying to keep under wraps / out of sight of the great unwashed, and then stick it in the podcast.

Personally, I think that just letting people know some useful keywords / areas for eBay searches and letting them get on with it would suffice.  That and a brief overview of CAF and some of the various online sources for original art should be enough to get people started.  If people can use Google, they can find art easily enough, though ;)

I enjoyed the podcast, by the way!

:)

Thank you, I am glad you enjoyed it  :-[  :P And thank you for the advice, we are putting together the first couple of episodes at the moment and all input is definitely appreciated so that we can make it essential listening! We have some exciting interviews lined up . .  . a teaser will be revealed soon . . .

I am not sure people would reveal their hidden gems, the collecting world is full of poker players.

ming

Quote from: Skullmo on 16 May, 2014, 12:41:56 PMI am not sure people would reveal their hidden gems, the collecting world is full of poker players.

Poker players who deny being poker players, for that matter.  I forgot to add the 'evil' emoticon to my suggestion about lifting the lid on the week's most sought-after bits of art; I don't think that particular addition would be welcomed by many ;)

People are (obviously) entitled to keep their collections under wraps but once you have a piece of art it's nice to share the love, I think.  I know of too much art that never sees the light of day, and it's a shame when it would be appreciated by so many.  Ho hum, that's the secretive world of art collecting for you.

o1s1n

I think by 'hidden Gems' Skullmo means auctions that are ending?

Sometimes I think it would be a great idea to have a list of regulars to even try to avoid people getting into bidding wars - but then you end up showing your hand by telling people what you're going to bid on (maybe they didn't even see the auction)

Hard to know!

ming

We have the eBay watch thread, which is handy for torpedoing people's chances of getting art without anyone else noticing helpfully bringing art to the attention of people who might otherwise miss it.

Highlighting stuff that pops up on eBay is sometimes handy though; I'd probably have missed out on a couple of things if they hadn't been posted here, so I really can't complain.

Spikes

Quote from: ming on 16 May, 2014, 01:14:48 PM
We have the eBay watch thread

Yes. Yes, we do.

So, any peeps got any new art to show off on this particular thread?  ;)

Link Prime

They're great Mark.
You been looking for David Pugh pages for a while?

hippynumber1

Not really, it's just taken him a while to post them to me as he has been working his way across India for the last few months and working on his charity in Africa.  He only just got back home in the last couple of weeks. I would recommend anyone to buy from him, he's a charming man and all proceeds from the sale of his art go to his charity.  http://busfare.webs.com

Frank

Nice. I read the Fabry/Pugh Sláine stories in 2000ad Monthly in my early teens, and at that time I actually preferred a lot of Pugh's stuff to Fabry. Obviously I could tell that the fundamentals and the finishing of the best Fabry episodes were far above the abilities of Pugh (or anyone else in the comic), but Pugh's pages had the grit, energy, humour, and spiky charm I associated with the character from reading the McMahon era.

Link Prime

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 29 May, 2014, 09:19:44 AM
I would recommend anyone to buy from him, he's a charming man and all proceeds from the sale of his art go to his charity.  http://busfare.webs.com

Cheers.
I have what can only be described as a nostalgic fetish for Loner, so have dropped him a line.

Dunk!

There's some lovely pages there, shame the two I instantly wanted are sold.

Always found something appealing about David Pughs art when it was in the prog, though up against Fabry it was hardly a level playing field. :)
"Trust we"

Skullmo

Skullmo

Plug time!

Inky Fingers Podcast Episode 01- the world's greatest podcast about original comic art collecting -  featuring news, features, jokes and an exclusive interview with Carlos Ezquerra is now available for download!

Episode 01 Part A

http://inkyfingerspodcast.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/inky-fingers-podcast-episode-001-part.html

Episode 01 Part B

http://inkyfingerspodcast.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/inky-fingers-podcast-episode-001-part-b.html

Come and have a listen - it's FREE!

:P Plug over!