Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apestrife

Watched Inception and Interstellar, since Tenet is just around the corner. Think both held really well. Inception felt smooth and well phased, definitely one of the best action movies I've seen. Interstellar grows with every viewing for me. One thing I noticed this time around is how the ending sort of feels like [spoiler]an afterlife, heaven or something for both Coop and Murph. Coop surviving a black hole and getting to meet his daughter. Murph saving mankind and on her death bed getting to meet her dad.[/spoiler] I really enjoyed both movies. Hope Tenet will deliver as well :)

Apestrife

TENET quite cool, but it left me a bit empty. I understood the story, but I got quite lost at times during it. Couldv been the lack of subs on the 35mm print I watched. Didnt think the ending didnt pack the same punch as for example Inception either. Also lacked effective scenes to ground the ideas its throwing around. Felt like the backwards thing shows up snd everyone accepts without much fuzz. But all and all, liked it. Loopy story with some good action. but it feels like I need to watch it again. Interstellar needed a second viewing as well for me  :)

Colin YNWA

Watched a few films while I was away.

Last time I watched Aliens I was quite hard on it. I felt it'd dated so was keen to give it another go. Once again it was like slipping on a comfie old dressing gown. It has it all. Top draw action, fun and engaging character, its as quotable as all hell and it has emotical strings to pull your along and makes the scares scarier. Its tough and tender at the same time. Its still not as good as Alien. but its still bloody magnificent.

Asterix and the Secret of the Magic Potion finally got an airing and it was... okay... I'm a fan of many an Asterix film and the last 'Mansion of the Gods' was one of my favs. This one built on that with some great laughs but it fumbled a lot too. Pulling bits and pieces from all over the place and not quite pulling it all together well. The ending felt like they were trying to match the OTT endings of many a Disney film. Which an Asterix film shouldn't need, they should be relying on wit and guile, rather than flash, bang whollop (well unless the whollop is on a roman!).

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou not seen this one for a while. Which is weird as its one of my all time favs and this viewing did nothing to shake that. Charming, warm, witty, sharp and intriguing. Its a wonderful film and I adore it.

The kids also watched Zootropolis I was doing other things... or was meant to be... its so good I kept getting distracted by my fav bit... then the next fav bit... and the next... and the sloths...

Apestrife

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 22 August, 2020, 08:50:11 PM
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou not seen this one for a while. Which is weird as its one of my all time favs and this viewing did nothing to shake that. Charming, warm, witty, sharp and intriguing. Its a wonderful film and I adore it.

Thanks for mentioning Life Aquatic.Classic. And I've only watched it once... Going to try to fix that ASAP!

pictsy

The Scout

A film in the same genre of film as Good Will Hunting, but came before that film and is Baseball instead of Maths.  Also, nowhere near as good.  It is okayish.  I say that because the performances are what they needed to be.  The story is another matter.  It is so weak and flimsy.  Nothing is explored or developed, very little happens and when it does it sometimes feels like important bits were missed out and the resolution is idiotic.  Nevertheless, it was watchable.

kev67

The last film I watched at the cinema was Le Mans, which was not bad. The best film I saw at cinema last year was Joker, and the worst was Ad Astra. The last film I saw anywhere was The Godfather III, which was ok, but not as good as I or II, although II was too long.

Keef Monkey

True History of The Kelly Gang just appeared on Amazon, it was one I'd been very keen to see in the cinema before things went bonkers so glad to get the chance to watch it now.

Still reeling from it a bit, it has a very intense mood and atmosphere that I know will be sticking with me for a while. Visually and musically it's very powerful, a real experience and a fantastic bit of film-making.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 28 August, 2020, 10:31:45 AM
True History of The Kelly Gang just appeared on Amazon, it was one I'd been very keen to see in the cinema before things went bonkers so glad to get the chance to watch it now.

Is that based on Peter Casey's book? Good book if so and I might need to check this out.

Anyway me and the boy got back onto out Jurassic Park rewatch with Jurassic Park III over the last week and have to say I was surprised how much I enjoyed it, personally think its actually much beeter than 'The Lost World'.

Surprised as I've only ever seen this once, way back in the day and my memory of it is pretty damning and like many (I think) I assumed it was by far the worse of the initial movies. Now clearly it has significent issues and isn't a patch on the original. Though the boy child likes the fact it gets to the exciting bits much quicker. He struggled with the steady build up in Jurassic Park, and these days the wonder of seeing such fantastically realised dinosaurs isn't something that sustains 'cos its bread and butter to him. Don't know they're born them kids.

Personally, well yes the way they dismiss the Spinosaurus vs. T-Rex fight as something that needs to be got out the way to establish how kick ass the Spinosaurus, is a massive shame. Sure I see the way it alludes to King Kong (original) were his might is clearly shown with an early fight with a dino. But here its like they get their big guns out way too early and as fun as many of the later set pieces are, nothing is T-REX vs SPINOSAURUS good. I mean jez just typing those words, T-REX vs SPINOSAURUS is cool. In the film its made to feel lack a necessary evil, rather than the cinematic power punch it should be.

After that the film rather lurches along, moving a fairly two dimensional cast of characters from one thrilling action sequence to another. Each character following an 'arc' that is pretty clear from the outset. The thing is this makes for a simple fun and entertaining ride most of these set ups are thrilling, so all good.

The end is pretty disappointing, but just about holds together. Overall though it goes a decent job of making a thrilling adventure with cool dinosaurs chomping things, so does its job for me.

Next we move to Jurassic World - which I've never seen all the way through - I seen chunks on telly at times - but I'm worried about this one, as having taken the boy to see 'The Fallen Kingdom' that was pretty terrible (he loved it) so I'm not going in with great hope...

Professor Bear

The Blood Beast Terror is one of those films that makes me wonder why people keep bitching about the 3-act structure, because God forbid something should have a clearly-defined beginning, middle and end, or story/character arcs that move with purpose towards a defined resolution.
"Why can't characters just do things arbitrarily?  Why can't the story just sort of meander about for 80 minutes?"  This dreadful film about a were-moth is why.  A woman is a were-moth, but also a vampire, but also a sexy seductress, but also a Frankenstein - yes, I know what I am describing clearly sounds awesome, but trust me, they found a way to make it boring.

Saturn 3 - having pulled a muscle standing up too fast yesterday, seeing Kirk Douglas at 60-something jumping around like a blue-arsed fly in this just makes me sad.  I kept getting distracted by the impracticality of the setup, by which I mean both the many dumb conceits of the movie story and the stupid sets, but I also wondered far too much about the practicality of keeping a dog on a space station, how that doesn't seem like a large enough amount of crops to feed a planet, and how they never adequately address why Douglas and Fawcett don't just club the clunky robot with lumps of metal or something.
It's pretty much Douglas carrying this with that intensity he exudes, while Farrah Fawcett and Harvey Keitel are just sort of there.  It's not very good.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 28 August, 2020, 11:00:17 AM
Quote from: Keef Monkey on 28 August, 2020, 10:31:45 AM

Is that based on Peter Casey's book? Good book if so and I might need to check this out.

It is, I hadn't heard of the book before watching but bought a kindle copy immediately, looking forward to reading it now.

TordelBack

The book is indeed excellent, as Carey usually is.  Looking forward to seeing the film, someday.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Professor Bear on 28 August, 2020, 01:47:36 PM
Saturn 3 - having pulled a muscle standing up too fast yesterday, seeing Kirk Douglas at 60-something jumping around like a blue-arsed fly in this just makes me sad.  I kept getting distracted by the impracticality of the setup, by which I mean both the many dumb conceits of the movie story and the stupid sets, but I also wondered far too much about the practicality of keeping a dog on a space station, how that doesn't seem like a large enough amount of crops to feed a planet, and how they never adequately address why Douglas and Fawcett don't just club the clunky robot with lumps of metal or something.
It's pretty much Douglas carrying this with that intensity he exudes, while Farrah Fawcett and Harvey Keitel are just sort of there.  It's not very good.

Back in the days when a young teen's birthday party would involve your folks taking you and a few friends for a movie and a burger, as opposed to hiring a caterer and a DJ, we saw Saturn 3 for my 13th birthday on a double bill with Hawk the Slayer.

All I can remember of the former is Farrah Fawcett's boobs, a huge movie star that was in all those films on telly, Farrah Fawcett's boobs, a big robot, and Farrah Fawcett's boobs.

My strongest memory of the latter was disappointment that the so-called "giant" turned out to be just the tall bloke from the carry on films in built-up shoes.

paddykafka

Quote from: Dandontdare on 28 August, 2020, 09:40:06 PM
All I can remember of the former is Farrah Fawcett's boobs, a huge movie star that was in all those films on telly, Farrah Fawcett's boobs, a big robot, and Farrah Fawcett's boobs.

Count yourself lucky, DDD. For my 13th birthday I was brought to see Piranha. At least you have the fond memory of Farrah Fawcett's boobs to cling to. What have I got? Swarms of flesh-stripping fish!

Dandontdare

Fair point, but you didn't have the conflict of seeing Farah Fawcett's boobs with your hormonal 13yo buddies on one side and your mum on the other

paddykafka

Worse than that. It was my sister on one side and my mum on the other.  :)