Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 16 February, 2014, 04:48:16 PM
They have a place for people like you. It's called a death camp.

And it's run by civil servants.  :-X

Spikes

Quote from: ZenArcade on 15 February, 2014, 10:45:41 PM
Just finished watching their far superior version of True Grit on BBC2. Some film.

Bollocks,  >:(

I've been waiting to catch this for what seems like years, and I go and miss it. And its not on the I-player either.
Double bah!

Quote from: Daveycandlish on 16 February, 2014, 08:13:46 AM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 15 February, 2014, 10:56:35 PM
Heh. I think my favourite John Wayne film is The Shootist. A brilliant film, that. I feel like digging it out and watching it again...

I only have three John Wayne films in my collection; True Grit, The Shootist and McQ - John Wayne being Dirty Harry.

I may have to go and watch it now.

Three very fine films. McQ is aces

Frank

Quote from: Judge Jack on 16 February, 2014, 09:35:17 PM
McQ is aces

The best bit is the way the constantly recurring theme is paced to allow the Duke to amble across screen at a speed befitting his advanced years.

Spikes

Saturday night's trip to the cinema was to see The Monument's Men.

Not a bad little film, and certainly a nice looking one. But its not without its flaws, and maybe a better director than Gorgeous George would have tide it together a wee bit better - it kinda felt like a series of individual scenes, rather than a single cohesive film.

But still a pleasant enough 1h 45mins.

And the Sunday night dvd - All the President's Men. Now that's a film. Glorious.

Goaty

Star Trek The Undiscovered Country Still an enjoyable film! And I think that Christopher Plummer was great casting as the villain.

ZenArcade

All the Presidents men is a good watch. I got the Outlaw Josey Wells in a bargain bin last month. A classic 2 part film. The first part is an absolute classic, filled with some of the most sneaky, treacherous, backstabbing, bushwacking bad bastards you're ever likely to see gathered in one place; Josey is a stone cold killer who dispatches all and sundry with laconic mein and a wad of chawin tobaccey. You really can see Johnny Alpha in this character.
The second part of the film is in my estimation a wee bit of a let down but still passable. A must see film. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Dandontdare

American Hustle - thought this was fantastic. I'm a sucker for a good heist/hustel movie, the period details were superb and all the performances top notch. How does Amy Adams stay in those dresses?  :D

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: ZenArcade on 17 February, 2014, 08:05:53 PMI got the Outlaw Josey [Wales] in a bargain bin last month.

Never, EVER play the Clint Eastwood Drinking Game to this movie.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

ZenArcade

Never heard of it, do you have to drink a beer everytime he shoots someone? Z

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: ZenArcade on 23 February, 2014, 07:15:43 PM
Never heard of it, do you have to drink a beer everytime he shoots someone? Z

Says something cool: drink a shot. Does something cool: drink a shot. Kills someone: drink a double. Kills someone in a cool way: triple.

There's that bit quite early on with the Comancheros where he kills about twenty people in five minutes. Oddly, the other Clint Eastwood movie you should never play the drinking game to is Dirty Harry, because Eastwood has SO MANY great lines that you just keep taking singles! Unfortunately, the more you drink, the cooler Clint gets and after about an hour he basically only has to walk into a room and you want to take a shot!

Cheers

Jim

ZenArcade

Jim, another drinking game to add to my retinue. Z :o

JamesC

I think Clint's at his one-liner coolness zenith in Coogan's Bluff.

Frank

Quote from: Dandontdare on 23 February, 2014, 06:06:07 PM
American Hustle - thought this was fantastic. I'm a sucker for a good heist/hustel movie, the period details were superb and all the performances top notch. How does Amy Adams stay in those dresses?

For the sake of the blood pressure of elderly Oscar voters, I'm glad she did. I enjoyed American Hustle a lot - especially Jennifer Lawrence's hilariously mercurial character - but it did feel like the director's improvisational style had got in the way of a more narratively satisfying film. There's a long middle section where everything's set up and you know where the characters and the story are going, but they just maintain a holding pattern. Christian Bale doing his Robert De Niro impression in a film which co-stars Robert De Niro was a bit much for me as well.

Never play the version of the Clint Eastwood drinking game where you have to take a chug every time he casts his current girlfriend in a leading role she isn't quite right for. You'll destroy your liver.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: JamesC on 23 February, 2014, 07:40:52 PM
I think Clint's at his one-liner coolness zenith in Coogan's Bluff.

Surely not!

QuoteYeah, well, when an adult male is chasing a female with intent to commit rape, I shoot the bastard that's my policy.

Cheers

Jim

The Bissler

I watched Hard Boiled again last night.  It's cheesy as hell but I don't think the action in it can be beaten!  John Woo at his insane best!